Angry XP and the Blue Screen of Death

And so it finally happened. Win XP died for me. I thought it would never happen, but then again...

I was working using Indesign and Acrobat and was going to open Word XP when I suddenly was given the blue screen of death, with an explanation and a "If this is the first time this happened, please check new hardware and software, etc" kind of message. It dumped the memory and restarted and checked the harddrive. When I logged in it sent a report to Microsoft and some online crash report site. And I lost my shortcuts to Word.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

At least yours warns you.....my laptop just restarts on it's own.
    "Last year, some resourceful software enthusiasts cracked Sony Music's proprietary technology simply by scribbling around the edges of the disc with a Magic Marker pen, thus enabling playback on any device." - news.com

That's terrible! Is it the software, or is it a hardware-problem?

And it didn't really warn me. After the blue screen came up, I couldn't do anything.

Originally posted by WebmastTroy
    That is a setting that can be changed.

Right Click My Computer select properties. Click the Advanced tab at the top, and down at the bottom of that window, click the settings button where it says startup and recovery. There you will find settings that change what your computer does when it encounters a problem, including the automatically restart option.
    Stephen Bazemore

I was getting them for a while on this desktop, but found a new (larger) power supply fixed the problem totally. It's not a fault of XP, but rather the extras that have been packed into this thing.

As XP is so stable I figured something was up with it. I used to get them with WinME as well, but just put it down to that version being the usual windows quality - or lack thereof.

I get the odd crash, and it's usually due to just pushing this thing too hard with Adobe and Macromedia software running next to outlook, internet explorer and WinTV.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

XP is horrible. The only semi-decent Micro$oft OS is 2000, and that sucks too IMO. Windows is the only OS I've used that runs applications so deep that you have to unplug the damn machine from the wall to shut it down.

If you're a serious designer, I highly recommend getting a Mac.

XP is really not different than 2000 with the exception of theme support. That is easily removed. However you mentioned the Mac, well why would anyone in their right mind pay 2-3 times as much for half the power of a pc? Bring Mac OS to the pc world and you will probably have alot more Mac users.
    Stephen Bazemore

I'm not going to use a Mac. And I HAVE to use XP because I write books about it with plenty of exercises and screenshots.

I was so surpriced when it happened, because I didn't think it was possible. I have Win 98 at home, and crashes are rare.

What really upset me, was the fact that I've been doing about the same thing for almost a year now, and this was the first crash.

Originally posted by WebmastTroy
    You don't have a Toshiba Satellite do you?

I've got a 1800 series model. Mine would restart whenever something intensive was run (like a game, or photoshop, etc).

I looked through the Toshiba bulletins, there is an issue called "Spontaneous Shutdowns" - I upgraded the bios to firmware 1.90 and it hasn't happened since.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

Originally posted by runik
    However you mentioned the Mac, well why would anyone in their right mind pay 2-3 times as much for half the power of a pc? Bring Mac OS to the pc world and you will probably have alot more Mac users.
    Well, for one, it actually works... wait til you're on your 60th layer of some project and your Windows machine decides to freeze up or reboot and you'll understand. And don't tell me "you should save often", that's a Microsoft policy because their software sucks so badly.

And I'm not going to get into the speed issue you mentioned, because simple Mhz is a bad representation of the speed of a machine, as that's a whole other topic.

I do agree that Macs are expensive as hell though, but they are a far superior machine for a designer.

There is always Linux.

Well, for one, it actually works...
    You sound like one of those guy's in the mac switch commercials.

Like the one saying it was hard getting a digital camera hooked up to a pc, yet it's done the same way as you would attach it to the mac.

Ok, back on subject..

I do see your point about a mac, as alot of designers do love them. I do design/video and I use a Mac for editing scenes and music, but I do my actual graphics with photoshop on a pc(Windows XP). I have not had a bit of trouble out of it.

We all have likes and dislikes of both systems, but it would be nice to see the Mac OS ported over.
    Stephen Bazemore

Originally posted by MDJ2000
    I do agree that Macs are expensive as hell though, but they are a far superior machine for a designer.
    Just don't tell the art schools that, as they prefer pcs with Xeons installed.

Art schools are very heavy in 3D (and TV production) work now, so students are required to fork some serious money into a monster graphics machine. Some professors have more preferences to certain setups than others, some would say a single p4 would do; then for the graduate students, a quad Xeon.

Macs just won't cut it in that environment. The software support is poor too -- as the high end professional graphics software ain't from Adobe (which might be considered equivelent to PSP to those students who'd start out on PS, and graduate to more more powerful apps).

Getting a Mac fixed, is yet another headache. they're notorious of making it difficult for the end user to fix it. Someone on a deadline can't be fighting over the phone with a service dealer who's too stuckup to realize -- IDIOT, I need this fixed quickly!

For the average web designer Macs can pass, but in a full line production environment, it won't pass the grade (just isn't powerful enough).

Chris
    Who'd love a quad Xeon machine with 16gigs of memory

I should have better clarified. At that level of design, we actually use SGI boxes running IRIX, but that's not really my bag, I was speaking from a web developers standpoint.

Originally posted by dreamHOBO
    Personally, Macs suck at video editing/production. My 2GHz/1Gig Ram/240GB Hard Drive video system on XP ownz you all.
    Can pass, but if you're really into that line of work, it's not fast enough nor has a fat enough I/O.

Need at least a dually with a RAID setup to relieve the bottlenecks involved -- even if you're using the new RDRAM and a 533mhz FSB m/b. Forget AMD and DDR in this class of machine, too.

Standard desktop machines just don't cut it for full time video/3D/animation-at-length production work.

Chris

IAt that level of design, we actually use SGI boxes running IRIX, but that's not really my bag, I was speaking from a web developers standpoint.

Looks a little under powered, at least the IRIX models at the Sgi site. 64bit is nice, but only 128mb for video and 1900 resolution? For those with larger monitors and good eyesight, that'll be pushing it.

Now the broadcast and broadband models....WHOA!! Don't even want to inquire about the price tag on those. <gulp>

Just saw the catch all "designers". Some designers need more powerful machines than what can be readily found on a shelf, or built. Even in the static work I do, I finally convinced some pc builders that 512mbs of memory and a gighertz processor just isn't going to do it. Playing games at high FPS rates, doesn't equal the processing power (and equally important, a huge I/O) needed for high end art and design - different setup.

Gamers eat your heart out!

Chris

Off topic again, but talking ownage, we recently finished setting up 5-IBM 690's, fully loaded... 32 processors, 256GB ECC, I'm not sure how much storage these boxes actually have, but I know they can support like 18+ TeraBytes. 2 of them arent even in use currently, because of the heat they put off, even in a controlled machine room environment.

They use them to crunch enormous math matrixes. It's pretty fascinating stuff, especially the price tags, even for education.

5-IBM 690's, fully loaded... 32 processors, 256GB ECC
    Hmmmmmm, can someone fit the entire cluster in a home? And would they need liquid helium to cool it?

Any estimates on the price tag on that monster?

And what OS would it use? lol

Chris
    If I ever win the lottery..................

Hehe, actually, I believe the GUI is a highly modified KDE desktop, the controller is essentially a stripped down linux box.

Actually, they're not much bigger(if at all) than the average cabinet, although they're heavy as all hell. Do you remember that commercial where the guy walks into his machine room and everything is gone, and he says "someone stole everything", then the other guy points to the one cabinet in the corner and says "no, everything is in there"? Well, that's what they were talking about.

I was told the stock price of the units is slightly over $2 Million USD per system. We didn't pay that, but I'm not at liberty to discuss the pricing structure of our organization .

ChrisLM, this machine is fine. I can pump out high quality video productions from Adobe Premiere (very good for editing on a digital medium) at full screen resolutions in a 1:1 ratio. In other words, I can export a full hour long concert to be ready for DVD in a hour. Then of course, the DVD burning is a problem...But thats ok.

It's all relative to what you're doing. Scientists don't use a Windows machine to analyze weather patterns, and I don't design websites on a Commodore 64

i just use windows, a good athlon or p4 is enough for me, i don't need quad crap

(did i say about my graphics card? Wildcat 2)

Speaking of graphics design, I was told by someone that Amiga is still very good when it comes to complex animations. Something about some software that is just perfect. Fast, easy, and it doesn't eat the resources.

I'm longing for the day, when I can build a better box than the one I got at home at the moment. It's working fine, but I'd like some more power. It's just a 233 p2, with 96 mb sdram and 9 gb harddrive running Win 98.