* How do I get started?

I am a computer tech at a high school. I have access to get a few servers and am looking to get into web hosting. How would I get started? I am a newbie to this forum but not computers. Any help would be much appreciated.

read as many posts in this forum as you can for about a month. Then ask questions

yep....it takes a lot of planing. i posted something like this in another thread:

1) be prepared to stay up about 4 days straight living on suckers and twinkies

2) be prepared to hear your significant other, next of kin, or any other person living with you complain about how you are never available to talk to.

3) be prepared to lose money the first couple of months

4) have a SOLID business plan. no, this doesn't mean "when i get X customers I'll get another server." think of every possible situation you would face and a solution to go with it.

that's all i can think of right now, i'm sure others will have more

Cool

Invest in some good software to save a lot of time (and money) down the road.

Originally posted by AutomateHost
    Invest in some good software to save a lot of time (and money) down the road.
    very true! i'd recommend using CPanel for the servers and would recommend ModernBill over ANYTHING anyday

Read a whole lot. Searching through the forums here will give you a good idea of what you need to research as a bunch of the answers you'll have have already been answered. Then make sure you have a sound business plan that has several contingencies and see what capital you have and will have to invest in your company. There is a lot of software that you need to look into and decide on. Just remember that if you don't know enough about a business to make a business plan, you don't know enough about a business to have people trust you with their money. If you don't know how to make a business plan, you don't know enough about business. People put their businesses on the web with hosting companies and this affects how they feed their kids. Of course you could just host kids and hobbiests and then it's only your reputation and their money on the line.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

Are you going to be using the school servers? If so, why not start with your own servers?
    Kaumil P.

No I will be using servers that I am going to get from the school. I have seen where I have to read a great deal and I understand that. However, I am looking to work smart then hard. If I can recieve good information about where to look I think I ahve the background to make it.

Are the servers Linux or Windows? That will determine a lot as to what you need to learn first as far as software goes. Also, if you're going to use them to host a real hosting business, you won't be able to do it from home very effectively, you'll have to colocate them somewhere. You just won't have the bandwidth.

Great points everyone! In addition...

It might be smart in your situation to determine how much it will cost per month to keep the servers running, and with good bandwidth. Then see if you can get a few local businesses to agree to let you host their websites, enough to cover expenses and have a little extra for upgrades and to make it worth your while. This will allow you to learn the basics of what it takes, while building a foundation for your soon-to-come business. Whatever you do, make sure you treat your customers, every one of them, like gold, no matter what. They will talk about you and bring you more business.

Good luck to you! It is exciting!

-Martin Carraway

The server were windows. We were running windows NT on them.

You'll have to decide if you're going to run windows again or go with Linux. Big price difference and windows will require more diligence to make it as secure. Linux problems usually get resolved right away due to its open-source nature. windows gets fixed when it becomes profitable to do so.

You won't be able to use their licenses for this unless they actually give you the exclusive rights to them, and they are not 'for educational use only' versions.

don't skimp on expenses....don't buy cheap stuff to make things go quicker....take your time and spend what is necessary and it will pay off
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

Windows servers end up costing more because of all the licenses! Bah!!
    Kaumil P.

We are doing some changes do our site, name servers, moving into a new datacenter, new offices, and so on. Glitches will be here and there, shouldn't be for a long time.

But why is it sometihng to "" at ?
    Kaumil P.

Hhehe calm down men... I'm from Brasil ervy thing is okay

Hehehe

Just checking, I've been getting a little bit too much attitude here and it's getting annoying!

No hard feelings!
    Kaumil P.

Originally posted by hostingplex
    Just checking, I've been getting a little bit too much attitude here and it's getting annoying!
    They're all just jealous about your more than 5000 clients.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Rescuing Websites from Bad Hosts since 2001
    Don't let your website get abducted!

Krellen.com - Web hosting you can count on.