* Host or Reseller?

After reviewing over 90 hosting plans it seems many are the same or very similar to others suggesting that some of these may be resellers. How do I differentiate between the reseller and a host? I was caught in this with my current provider who ended up being a reseller for ReadyHosting, but I didn't realize it until after I signed up. Now that I'm nearing the final days of my annual contract, I don't want the same thing to happen. Resellers just seem to be everywhere and they rarely say who they're reselling for so it's tough to know what kind of support I'd be getting. Any ideas or suggestions?

Some similarities I've noticed so far are as follows:
    ************.com/eHostingBiz.com
    UltraSurge.com/hosting.mymarkdown.com

There are also a ton of hosts that noone has seemed to comment on here yet so I don't know if these might be new hosts, resellers, or imposters.

Some of these include:
    Adverhost.com
    TurboWeb.net
    GSWebHosting.com
    PWRHosting.com
    The-Webhost.com
    HostNV.com
    PepperHost.com
    UnixHoster.com

Basically, I'm considering purchasing a Win AND Linux account because I'm having difficulty finding my requirements under one plan. Some of these include 2*250mb, MS Access/MS SQL, mySQL, ASP, PHP, JSP, CGI, SSI, unlimited pop3, 5-10gb transfer/m, combined budget around $150/yr. Does anyone have any suggestions for Win or Linux plans?

Why would you think resellers are bad. Often a reseller might provide a better service than their host. I use a reseller and I must say that they give me excellent service.

Does it matter whether the host provider is a reseller or hosting company?

Afterall, they are providing the same service. What we believed is the technical support and responsibility towards our clients. Thus far, we do not have any problem with our clients even we make know to them that we are a reseller.

What a reseller do is basically like a wholeseller. We purchase huge space and resell into small units for those who do not required a white elephant.

Our provider only need to attend to us whereas we will need to attend to all. However, a good reseller do have the ability to focus on their client needs which is not what all upstream provider could do.

In business, you have to start off somewhere and you do not usually start off as a big timer, isn't it?
    :: www.addvaluehost.com :: http://forums.addvaluehost.com
    ::Multi-Domain Value Pack/Reseller Account :emi-Dedicated Server
    :: Providing Superlative quality, superb service and Economical since Aug 2002.

Some resellers are also a little more precautious on how they use thier money...that is why many of them are choosing to be a reseller rather than going dedicated so quickly. This isn't true with all though, and the same applies to hosting companies that own their own servers.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

I didn't say all resellers were bad, but resellers don't always have access to everything the host does. Many times I find that by the time I have a problem I can't resolve, it ends up at the original host anyway. Some hosting companies don't give their resellers the keys to the servers per say so if they don't have a control panel and I need FrontPage extensions installed or a server checked they can't do it so it ends up at the host anyway. And if I have to get bad news that they've lost the server, the backups AND my site again, I'd rather hear that from the host than the reseller when I have to rebuild a 500mb site. It would at least be nice to know who the reseller's host is or that they are a reseller for someone.

Alex, if you don't want to be hosted with a reseller, email the host in question and ask them if they're a reseller.

However, as others have already stated, 'reseller' doesn't automatically equal 'bad service' or 'poorer-quality tech support/capabilities' any more than 'non-reseller' equals 'the best all around deal'.

It is hard to convince someone who is not comfortable hosting with a reseller to actually do so. I totally understand what you are saying, Alex, but it seems for every arguement made for a reseller there is an equal rebutal.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Actually, in this case, I believe most of my problems stemmed from the host, not the reseller so I'm not totally against resellers. Resellers are great for taking a load off of a host for routine helpdesk questions. It's similar to large companies having different tiers of helpdesks so common or simple problems can be filtered out in the beginning. But being a former computer technician and working as a webmaster in a telecom department, by the time I have a problem or question, it usually surpasses 1st tier. So, for me, it's typically more time consuming to go through a reseller especially if I have to contact them through email instead of being able to call them than it would be to go to the host themself or to take care of some of it myself through my own control panel.

So in other words, Alex, it sounds like what you need is a good control panel that will let you do more than simply set up email addresses, and either a reseller who really knows how to troubleshoot and has a good solid rapport with the provider OR you need to be on a dedicated server.

Or, back to my other suggestion...when comparing the various hosts, ask them straight out whether they're a reseller or not.

Originally posted by living_media
    Or, back to my other suggestion...when comparing the various hosts, ask them straight out whether they're a reseller or not.
    That of course is on the presumption that they'll actually confess to being one. Back when we used to resell we'd get that question once in a while. While we'd always say yes, there was always that worry in the back of your mind that you'd just lost a sale by doing so (luckily it wasn't usually the case at all).

Nothing beats having root access, but a good reseller with a good upstream host will be a better option than any kid with a $100 unmanaged server any day.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

While I do run my own servers, I am a reseller hosting provider.

I would have to say there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with resellers!

They are usually good people.. they have more time to support customers (dont have to manage servers), and well.. the list goes on.

Resellers are usually good people.. At least all mine are

Talking

There is nothing wrong as to being a reseller. Our resellers make up 30% of our total clients. One good advantage to being a resellers is you never have to worry about the equipment and upgrades.

Everything is done for you and no additional costs to you. Some of our more successful resellers migrate all thier accounts to our dedicated servers.

If you look at the current hosting companies out there, I bet more then 50% are resellers for some other company.
    Brian F
    Web Hosting Made Easy!
    American Internet Communications
    http://www.amhosting.com

I want 24/7 support - and a reseller just can't provide that. But, on the other hand, neither can an average 14-year old with an unmanaged box.

Your best bet to ensure you get the best of both is to find the right company that has good support, technical, and good administration departments, all under one roof in direct communication.

HA! Good luck finding that.

There are far too many resellers out there, far too many people with unmanaged servers, and its far too easy to get into the web hosting industry with almost zero experience. Its almost impossible to filter through them all.

The industry is young, for now - a lot of customers will suffer. Over the next few years the industry will settle down, and we'll see:

- Mostly Mid-Sized Hosts 10-20k customers.
    - Web Developers/Etc Reselling as a Value Added Service, but being open and honest about it providing resold services.
    - Some small hosts just getting started out of course, will always be in any industry.

Most of the web hosts will not run their own data centers, instead they will outsource this to a colo facility. Of course, THIS is where the host takes the real load off their hands.

Anyway... I'm rambling... Its my view - you'll have to really research a company. The best way to find information out is through a whois on their domain and on their IP addresses (most important.)
    Travis Doherty
    Web Hosting Services
    http://www.referable.com/

Many of these hosts now make it too easy to get into reselling. When I can go to a host pay $100/yr for my reseller account and don't have to dish out anymore cash until someone buys an account from me where I would buy an account at my host for them with their money, it seems easy money especially if I don't support customers. Whereas, if I had to pay, say, $100/m for actual resell space, it might provide more incentive to actually work for that expense because it's an expense regardless if I resell it or not. Most people will want the easy, cheap way out and not spend the extra money unless they actually have some motivation to do something.