solutions for spam? can hosting providers do anything?

hi, i have been getting endless reams of spam every day. perhaps because i post to many online mailing lists etc.

point is, i wonder if hosting providers (those typical cpanel types) can do something about REAL spam protection? i am not talking about "enable spamassassin in your account please".. i am talking instead of some corporate solutions like Brightmail or hosting providers somehow tying up their qmail/sendmail to the RBLs themsevles.

have tried it with my current host and got the same old spam assassin crap. i have tried SA and it sucks bigtime. while some of the spam is marked, it also _bounces_ (not just flags) several correct and valid emails as well. my host tells me this is because it does not really work with cpanel very well.

whats the solution? i would like to know some leading hosting providerswho have corporate-level spam protection for domains i host with them.

thanks!

anyone?

so none of the hosting providers do this? no one even has an opinion about this?

Spam fighting is difficult at best, but taking Spamassassin and RBL's off the table leaves me flat-footed.
    All I can think of is Mailwasher, or maybe outsource your mail server.
    It's gotten so bad we gave up counting numbers and just started graphing spam with MRTG, and spend at least 2 hours a day just on spam crap.
    GUI admin tools have no honor. It is a good day to vi.

as a host, i can't think of any cost efficient methods that i can include for my customers...i'm left with no choice but to recommend SA

as a recipient of SPAM, i fight with the host. I have successfully taken down 4 sites that have refused to remove me from their mailing lists. My suggestion to you is to file a complaint with the administrator of the website and the host. If they don't respond, then call both places and complain. They'll usually give in.

That's how I'm handling the siteseeker SPAM that i get 2-3 times a week - I haven't received one in over a week since I've complained to them.

thanks for the note akash. but calling up every single admin is just not my cup of tea, and it is expensive as well.

can it be that my host does not really know how to configure spamassassin properly with cpanel5? they told me that "cpanel creators told us that spamassassin support is not truly in production mode yet". is this true?

Until everyone takes ownership of the massive problem that spam is nothing will be done, this includes but is not limited to the following people:

The people who send it (obviously) - until they are given motivation to stop doing it they will continue to do so.

The people who receive it - until they report every single piece of it to everyone they can - [email protected] range that sent the message, spews etc etc

The people who host it - until they take ownership of the domains they host and issue take down notices to their customers who continue to spam the world.
    Matt Pearce
    http://synergymax.com
    'integrated e-solutions tailored to your needs'

Well, if I were a hosting provider, I would offer you spam blocking. But I'm not.

Spam blocking.. is no piece of cake.

If you're looking for some to do the blocking PM me. Might be able to filter and pass it on.
    GUI admin tools have no honor. It is a good day to vi.

We had one client that I had to kick his email account. This poor guy's account was getting over 20,000 emails per minute. Our system blocked and deleted most of it, but eventually, our mail system would give up and crash. It was crashing 2-3 times daily.

So a couple of days ago I emailed him telling him I was pointing his MX to BigMailbox and he could setup an account there....or I would change his MX to whomever he wanted as long as it wasnt us. He did choose, and I wonder how Everyone.net is now doing

Blocking spam is not easy...and if too much is coming in, it doesnt matter how big or powerful your mail server is...