View Poll Results: Would you purchase a machine from a provider with this setup?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 22.73%
  • No

13 59.09%
  • IRC sucks I hang on aol chat instead!

4 18.18%

IRC Server hosting.

Would you pay $375-$450 for a decent machine and packet filtering equal if not superior to footnet/httpd.net/cit/any other name they go by? We are thinking about running some OC3's from NAC and Peer1 with some massive packet filtering. Basically we have a script that monitors all traffic. Each client is assigned a /24 (Class C). The client adds a large amount of the /24 to the ircd. If a client receives more then 125mbit/s of DoS we null route that ip, if it hits multiple ips, the script removes the BGP route announcement for 6 hours. What are your thoughts?

would the ips for the ircd be setup like a round robin or dns pool? if one ip got hit, it'd load the 2nd ip in the list and then they could link the ircds back up after they edited their ircd.conf for the c/n lines? would it just keep going through the list of the ips that the user is assigned?

Do you have any job in monitoring this or does your script do all the work?

If not IRC is just a pain in the a$$. Thats why most ISP's forbid them.
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888

What could be done is you use an ip from another net block to link the ircd to the hub and then add all the other ips to the client ircd. So it won't get delinked no matter what because everybody will be dos'ing your client server ips.

Yes it would get its very own monitor that is watched by live people 24/7. Along with NIDS systems and uplinks monitoring.

Considering that I wouldn't run an ircd for free, there's no way I would pay $375+/month for it, no matter how good the service would be. Sorry, but I can't figure out why anyone would pay much to run an ircd. I guess some do...but why? This does not count servers linked to private networks that aren't available or even known to the general public, nor servers that are using spare resources.

gotta be a diehard hardcore irc fan like me!
    id pay for a service where i could run a irc server and not have to worry about getting hit and having our server(s) being down, or people getting disconnected.

if it meant $400/mo, u bet

I said no because foonet is already doing that at a cheaper price, with more available bandwidth and better DDoS filtering.
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

IF it came with lots of bandwidth then sure thats not a bad deal as you would be able to load it up with a lot of clients and not worry about going over your bw limit.

However for the packet filtering to work great you would have to drop all icmp and udp to the irc ips and oc3 isn’t fast enough to make keep packeters at bay as 100Mbps is about the bare minimum packet kiddies carry today... now if that filtering was done on a Gige+ it would make a difference otherwise its just one of those "nice try guys... hopefully it will stop soon" if you know what I mean...
    C Code. C code run. Run, code, run...
    Segmentation fault (core dumped).. aww sh!t

ah the wonderful world of irc
    where people dos you if you kick them

The filtering would be done at 3 levels.

Tier 1 Providers (UUnet etc) -> Our Providers (NAC/Peer1) -> Our routers.

All ICMP and UDP would be blocked.

As far as bandwidth we were thinking all accounts would come with 300GB.

zerphyte,

If I was interesting in that sort of thing, I would definetly go with you. I know your past/history (and my own) and I know how well you know the many things there are to know about IRC and the troubles it can cause and the fun chatting it can provide. ;-)

Good luck, Nick.

Re: IRC Server hosting.

Originally posted by zerphyte
    Would you pay $375-$450 for a decent machine and packet filtering equal if not superior to footnet/httpd.net/cit/any other name they go by? We are thinking about running some OC3's from NAC and Peer1 with some massive packet filtering. Basically we have a script that monitors all traffic. Each client is assigned a /24 (Class C). The client adds a large amount of the /24 to the ircd. If a client receives more then 125mbit/s of DoS we null route that ip, if it hits multiple ips, the script removes the BGP route announcement for 6 hours. What are your thoughts?
    I think it's great! Good to see other providers than CIT providing IRC related services AND being able to fend off LARGE bandwidth consuming attacks.

Originally posted by DD-SNC
    I said no because foonet is already doing that at a cheaper price, with more available bandwidth and better DDoS filtering.
    I'd say yes. CIT is topnotch, but what would the world of IRC come to if all shell providers and IRC daemons were hosted at the same place? Competition is great!

Originally posted by zerphyte
    As far as bandwidth we were thinking all accounts would come with 300GB.
    Incoming AND outgoing, or just (hopefully) outgoing?
    Last edited by krc; 10-29-2002 at 08:42 AM.

It doesn't matter where you host your servers and whose in there with you. It matters how you run your business.

Est. 1998.

I'm sure there are people out there who are willing to spend that amount of money, because their business relies on their machines being up, even during high bandwidth attacks ...
    (especially Unix Shell Providers related to IRC ...)
    I'm sure they'r making enough money out of one box to pay that ....
    And i'm sure they'd be more than happy to place some of their boxes outside Foonet...

just my two cents ...
    good luck Nick!

greets,
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Originally posted by DD-SNC
    It doesn't matter where you host your servers and whose in there with you.
    OK - it's you against the world with THAT statement. It's ludicrous.
    Last edited by krc; 10-29-2002 at 12:53 PM.

How is that ludicrous? It's the truth. Do you think people complain about hosting WEB hosting servers at rackshack? Or VDI, or NOCSTER? The list goes on and on. Just think about it.

Est. 1998.

DD- SNC,

We're talking about IRC related activity here, not web servers. But still it's ludicrous, because it does, in fact, matter. Ask any united.colo customer, say.

Why do I have to explain the statement, "it does matter where you host your severs?" The statement accounts for itself.