Support
    Features
    etc

Rack Shack?
    Host Rocket?

Beats me

My guess is interland by a long shot.

-Brendan

The real question is how do companies such as Interland do so well!?
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Financing probably has a lot to do with it

Well Alohahosts of course! Was there any doubt?

Regards,
    Karen
    -----
    Reseller Accounts and Dedicated Servers

Of course!!

It's damn near impossible to say who is the most successful. I guess you could bring it all down to bottom line profits. Heck, are any of the big boys of hosting making money these days?? Exodus etc...?

But that's not really a good measure for the success of a company. Many factors to be considered. Success means many different things to many folks.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

I consider breaking even successful

Exodus have already bankrupt and was resold to C&W how thinking to leave them soon ...
    Arnaud Pignard
    Frontier Online
    http://www.frontier.fr

the only reason that Interland is number #1 for amount of capital and from the profit standpoint is because it was Micron Electronics before. MUEI already had 200 million when it was the PC manufactuar. Then they bought HostPro and VServers. Once the PC business was taking it's big tumble, they decided hosting was where it's at and jumped over to solely focus on that and bought Interland. Since then they have still lost 30mil over the last year but because of all the money they started with, it didn't matter. And since then they have taken 6-8 smaller companies that were making some profit and swallowed them to get that profit.

In my study of hosting companies all big companies end up failing. Why? because once you grow so large, you no longer can service your clients in the same fashion as a company with 50-100 employees (or Less) that has a more caring attitude and each person is important. Interland, Verio, Exodus or any other large company cares about scalability not in "making customers happy". Sure they would like that but it becomes to costly to make 200k clients happy than 10k. So my advice to anyone is stick to the smaller fish that will meet your needs. Find a company that is stable and not looking to grow into the largest host in the world, but rather a company that they are just happy doing something they enjoy and care about your business.

But be cautious since there are a lot of frustrating hosts out there that advertise big but come up way short. I don't need 3gb of space and 50gb of bandwidth for $10. I have not found a model like that which works. I'm getting shorted somewhere. My business is worth more than 10 bucks a month. I'd rather pay 50-100 and know that I am getting quality.

Anyways...back on tangent. Financially Interland is probably number 1 but they are far from the best out there. Just trying to be an AOL of hosting

Well said gkami.

Back to the question.... "Who is the most successful hosting company"

It comes down to what Aussie Bob said.... it depends on how you measure success. If you want to grow your business into a mega-corporation with tens of thousands of employees, then Interland is certainly on their way. If your measure of success is to quickly grow a "profitable" business, perhaps for the purposes of selling it for mega-bucks, then there are likely many other candidtates for the "most successful company".

In my study of hosting companies all big companies end up failing. Why? because once you grow so large, you no longer can service your clients in the same fashion as a company with 50-100 employees (or Less) that has a more caring attitude and each person is important.
    This is not entirely true. Companies like Earhtlink (which last I saw was #3 behind Verio and Interland in terms of actual hposting subscribers - no not dial up) do just fine. We have absorbed a few of their cutomers and these people stated they loved Earthlink, both in terms of support and service. They left becuase they out grew the basic plans. They wanted multidomain hosting and other advanced options they didn't have.

Also, there are some very successful, large host that are doing well. The secret isn't size, it is who you have breathing down your neck. Privatally owned places like Hostway, See-Eye-Host, Pair, etc... are making money, and quite a bit. They don't have share holders breating down their necks. They also have CEOs who were founders who would still rather work then go play golf.

They also have CEOs who were founders who would still rather work then go play golf.
    Golf IS work when you shoot like me

I would agree with UmBillyCord. There is a great distinction between private companies and those that have gone public. Private companies have a better track record for making money without having to go public to try and raise 'more' money.

As for Earthlink, they do well catering to the basic of hosting. Also it's tough to figure out who truly is #1 based on accounts because do you count domains, IP's, or flat out paying customers. For Earthlink it's primarily nothing fancy just people who want a website. Fortunately for them (Earthlink), they also have a greater history of working out growth vs. the Interlands and Verios. Those companies just grew but all remain fairly immature and have not mastered anything.

I still think 'Hosting Happiness' is in the medium size companies. Ones that have lasted more than a year or so and are having sucess. Ones who while they may be more proximity management vs. process management behind the scenes, are small enough that there are only 3 layers to the organization. Maybe in 5-10 years things will mature enough that you have an IBM of hosting, but for now....everyone spends their time finding that newest home among 1500 competitors.

small enough that there are only 3 layers to the organization
    Very true. As the onion grows, so too does its layers. The secret is finding a way to grow your hosting business like an apple.

Originally posted by gkami
    I still think 'Hosting Happiness' is in the medium size companies.
    Keyword there being "Happiness".
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Originally posted by UmBillyCord

Also, there are some very successful, large host that are doing well. The secret isn't size, it is who you have breathing down your neck. Privatally owned places like Hostway, See-Eye-Host, Pair, etc... are making money, and quite a bit. They don't have share holders breating down their necks. They also have CEOs who were founders who would still rather work then go play golf.
    I hate golf. Well, maybe mini-golf if I'm on vacation somewhere (as if).

Does anyone happen to read the INLD board on Yahoo Finance?

http://messages.yahoo.com/?action=q&board=INLD

Just curious.

Kevin

Originally posted by sigma

I hate golf. Well, maybe mini-golf if I'm on vacation somewhere (as if).

Let me guess. You like pinball?

lol..

Golf is fun

Originally posted by smidwap
    The real question is how do companies such as Interland do so well!?
    Well their primary advertising target wasn't competive hosting forums
    Western Man

I read it for kicks sometimes. You pretty much have a group of mostly 10 former employees or hosters that hate interland and voice their opinions. Pretty amuzing though to see some of the things they say.

This thread is a great example of how there are so many intelligent people on the web. Most forums are for "TEH L33T D3SIGNORZ" and have a lack of grammar and intelligent conversation.
    Lead Designer @ SingleHop

Originally posted by UmBillyCord

Let me guess. You like pinball?
    You could say that. I've been known to play

Kevin

I spend a great deal of time trying to think of what comsumers "value" in a hosting company...

The consumer is rarely as educated as the people of this forum, and easily buy into the marketing pitch of more for less...without looking for value. The costs of hosting have plummeted to commodity level rapidly without consumers realizing what is sacrificed for the lower $$.

It's ridiculously easy to cram hundreds of virtual clients on a single box....and the end user has trouble seeing a difference between the virtual cram and "higher value" solutions.

Unless something breaks (which is often difficult for the customer to determine given the inherent finger-pointing in the industry), they assume all is equal, and the lowest price wins. In this model, Interland (or another enterprise entity) wins because of volume and marketing muscle. From within the enterprise, it all boils down to the difference between gross and net margins (i.e., how cheaply can they deliver the "product" ).
    President - Inteo
    Wholesale Clustered Hosting for those that know the difference.
    Secure. Reliable. Affordable
    www.inteo.com

Interland is so big as they buy up smaller companies to increase profits even though the costs out ways the income for some time to come. Mostly investors is what keeps companies this big going.

If sales are down, why not buy a company and make sales look good on paper. That will get more investors to buy stock as your increasing numbers.
    Brian F
    Web Hosting Made Easy!
    American Internet Communications
    http://www.amhosting.com