What are some Canadian hosting providers??

Does anyone know of any??

www.rackforce.com has their servers located in Canada. They have some good pricing too

are you looking for canada based businesses (with servers in the US) or do you want businesses with servers in canada?

In Canada

Preferably server's in Canada

http://tera-byte.com is one of the biggest ones, if not the biggest, and Ive only had great experiences with them. They have been around for quite a few years too.

TeraByte
    Located in Edmonton Alberta

Nexx
    Located in Toronto Ontario

Those are the two off the top of my head (that I can mention without breaking WHT rules).
    UpNIX Internet Administrator
    --
    http://www.upnix.com

dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

This company is also based in Canada (Ontario)
    http://www.tpnhosting.com/
    Sparrow
    www.sparrowzworld.net

Idologic.ca is located in London Ontario Canada.

Currently our shared servers are not in Canada (but in dv2). However we will be offering dedicated servers located in Canada within the next 2-3 months.

If this is against forum rules, then feel free to delete.
    www.idologic.com - Reseller, VPS and dedicated hosting - Friendly Customer Service - DirectAdmin - cPanel - InterWorx

hostopia.com - been in there office and server room. They Are located right by Toronto, Ontario
    CPSkins.com | WHMXtra.com
    12 cPanel Skins, 52 WHM Skins, 12 DirectAdmin,
    60+ Plesk Scripts Linux & Windows & 70 cPanel Auto-Installers

http://www.dotcanada.com/default.asp?tid=10060

We are in Canada. We currently offer shared and reseller hosting. We will be offering dedicated hosting (servers in Toronto) in January 2003.

Thanks for listening,
    .: Richard

We're also located Canada. Specifically Toronto, Ontario.
    Kaumil P.

Well hey, if everyone else is doing it I will too We are located in B.C, Canada.

Well hey, if everyone else is doing it I will too We are located in B.C, Canada.
    That is the lamest excuse i've seen in a while for breaking the rules...

Chicken: I'm sorry i posted this publicly....but that one made me chuckle...

lightspeed and hostingplex: RTFR

I fail to see why, if someone wants a list of canadian data centers, why not list yourself along with others? You're not really promoting yourselves, why should someone have to ask "hey buddy, someone wants to know about canadian data centers, and i cant post". Theres a big difference between "we're located in canada, so is xxx and xxx" and "were located in canada, our prices start at this, our service is the best, etc.".

Forum rules state that one may participate in a non-advertising forum thread if it asks about 'em, i think this is semi-encompassing as someones asking for a list of canadian hosting provider, so logically any canadian hosting provider is in that list and can mention themselves as long as they dont advertise.

Thats my take at least.

Originally posted by hostingplex
    We're also located Canada. Specifically Toronto, Ontario.

99.9% Up-time Gaurantee

http://www.google.com/search?q=Gaurantee

Results 1 - 10 of about 29,900

OMG!

I thought this was a request. I will read the forum name in the future. Sorry.

Well, the initial post wasn't very specific as to why they wanted to know -could be a salesman looking for leads to sell Canadian providers long distance for all I know. Generally, hosts shouldn't answer the question, however I've moved it to the ad forums so that I don't have to remove 1/2 the thread and email 10 people.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

As nationalistic as I am by nature and as much as it pains me to say this, I can't recommend Canadian hosts in general. In comparison to US counterparts, they are generally more expensive (even when factoring the Chretien-butchered exchange rate), while offering fewer features and less knowledgeable and competent technical support. The only situation I would consider a Canadian (Toronto)-based host is if any of my clients ever wanted a colocated server. The odds of this occurring are rather minimal, however.

If .ca domain name hosting is an issue, there are international (primarily US) hosts available that will host foreign-based domain names (they don't care where your money comes from as long as it goes into their accounts). The majority of US hosts (and some international hosts from other countries) offer decent (under 100 ms) ping replies as well.

So from one Canadian (Golf Leafs Golf!) to another, my advice is to expand your focus outside of our great nation. From this standpoint, we aren't as competitive as our neighbours to the south (and northwest in the case of Alaska.)
    Is Canada the best? Noo Doot Aboot It!
    "And on the eighth...day...God...created...Mankind. WHY WAS HE HAVING SUCH A BAD DAY?" -- Mick Foley

I am also a Canadian and I have to agree with TheGAME1264. I live approx. 1 hr from T.O. and have ran many trace routes to various Canadian servers. 95% of the time the route will take me down to U.S. then back up to Canada rather then straight to T.O. or where ever the server based. So I figured what's the sense of paying more for Canadian servers when I can have a shorter trace route and less hops to a cheaper U.S. based server.

Thats a pretty narrowminded view, there is no way anyone doing a modicum of research can make a claim that most Canadian hosts fit into that catagory. there are plenty of us up here that can hold our own internationally on price, quality, speed and knowledge. i can think of 5 hosts off the top of my head that can kick ass on a majority of US based hosts the major difference is here we only have about 20 actual webhosts and a pile of pretenders where as in the US they have many more of each.

Steve Keyser
    A Canadian Webhost

well said Keeg
    Lime Drop Marketing!
    Web Design | Graphic Design | Logo Design
    http://www.limedrop.ca

Originally posted by Keeg
    Thats a pretty narrowminded view, there is no way anyone doing a modicum of research can make a claim that most Canadian hosts fit into that catagory. there are plenty of us up here that can hold our own internationally on price, quality, speed and knowledge. i can think of 5 hosts off the top of my head that can kick ass on a majority of US based hosts the major difference is here we only have about 20 actual webhosts and a pile of pretenders where as in the US they have many more of each.

Steve Keyser
    A Canadian Webhost
    Well if there are any, they're doing a terrific job of hiding because the only ones I've seen have been overpriced while lacking in features and technical knowledge.

Examples of such hosts:

www.bluegenesis.ca (I can't post the link to the pricing page since the site's framed).
    http://www.datademons.com/hostingprices.html
    http://webinmotion.net/hosting/shared/prices/ (these guys are not only overpriced, their "tech support" is a sick joke at best and I was actually able to FTP to the C:\windows directory at one point.)

So with all due respect, I have done a fair amount of research and had some experience dealing with the subject of Canadian-based web hosting and until someone comes along to prove me wrong, I stand by my belief, and I'm sure GoildenWeb (who, by the way, makes an excellent point regarding the traceroutes of a lot of Canadian hosts) does as well.
    "And on the eighth...day...God...created...Mankind. WHY WAS HE HAVING SUCH A BAD DAY?" -- Mick Foley

Try looking on the first page of this thread there are a number of quality hosts listed there and all in Canada.

Steve

Originally posted by TheGAME1264
    As nationalistic as I am by nature and as much as it pains me to say this, I can't recommend Canadian hosts in general. In comparison to US counterparts, they are generally more expensive (even when factoring the Chretien-butchered exchange rate), while offering fewer features and less knowledgeable and competent technical support. The only situation I would consider a Canadian (Toronto)-based host is if any of my clients ever wanted a colocated server. The odds of this occurring are rather minimal, however.
    The thread is "What are some Canadian hosting providers??" not "Can any Canadians tell me why I should host outside of Canada?" or "Anyone who cannot provide an answer to this question should instead tell a story about somthing that they think is better."

When there is a request for "Windows hosting" do you post *your opinion* on how Unix is better?

If you cannot input on the thread, then please move on.

Originally posted by Lightspeed
    The thread is "What are some Canadian hosting providers??" not "Can any Canadians tell me why I should host outside of Canada?" or "Anyone who cannot provide an answer to this question should instead tell a story about somthing that they think is better."

When there is a request for "Windows hosting" do you post *your opinion* on how Unix is better?

If you cannot input on the thread, then please move on.
    First of all, the person who made this thread later posted that he'd prefer servers based in Canada. That doesn't necessarily mean that (s)he is 100% averse to anything based in the US or in any other country for that matter. Therefore, my comparatively unbiased comments regarding US hosting as a possible alternative to Canadian hosting remain valid in that there has been a legitimate interest implied by the original poster.

Second of all, it would seem to me that rather than adopting a negative and defensive attitude towards someone who could have been a potential customer, you would make a concerted effort to disprove the statement that I have just made.

But, just to illustrate my point further, I'm going to take your pricing page:

http://www.dotcanada.com/compare.asp?page=compare

And compare it to three other hosts (all US-based) that are known by mysefl and others for quality service and reasonable pricing:

http://www.alwayswebhosting.com/index.html
    http://www.sectorlink.com/convention...ngfeatures.asp
    http://www.gearhost.com/services/hos...s-features.asp

As you can see, when one compares your plans to similar plans that are US-based, the US-based plans are generally 25-30% cheaper for what amounts to the same thing.

This isn't the same as comparing Windows to Unix, either, because in this case, the features and packages are the same; what differs is pricing and location.

An open note to the original poster: sadly, it's this type of attitude that I find more often than not pervades companies in the Great White North. Rather than working with and listening to highly legitimate concerns from customers, they choose to adopt a superior attitude. This, among other reasons, is why I've had to look on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge for web hosting. This is not a decision I take lightly either, and if/when a Canadian web host appears that will at least match what I'm getting from a US provider, I'll be the first to jump ship. However, that's a long way from happening, if at all.

Well I'm up for the challenge and as this is the advertising forum please show me how im 20 - 30% higher in price the site is tera-byte.com we dont use cogent bandwidth we do have 24/7 live support. and there are many more just like us. ill take it one step further ill put up any of our packages against anyone elses from anywhere outside of Canada, ill pay for both, you admin it. Then report back here with exactly which was the better site.

Steve

btw when your ready to start my email is [email protected]
    Last edited by Keeg; 11-05-2002 at 02:51 AM.

Originally posted by TheGAME1264

First of all, the person who made this thread later posted that he'd prefer servers based in Canada. That doesn't necessarily mean that (s)he is 100% averse to anything based in the US or in any other country for that matter. Therefore, my comparatively unbiased comments regarding US hosting as a possible alternative to Canadian hosting remain valid in that there has been a legitimate interest implied by the original poster.
    If I post a thread in a car forum asking for Ford dealers, I would think it was off-topic for someone to reply with how Toyota is better. Even if they prefixed it with how they worked at Ford.
    If I post a thread looking for mySQL hosts, I would think it was off-topic for someone to reply with how Oracle is better.
    I think you get my point...

You don't even know if the original poster is in the market for hosting. Just a simple request in the "Related Offers and Requests" forum, not the "Webhosting Requests Forum". Perhaps they have a product idea that is useful to Canadians and are trying to contact a few providers to be beta testers.

Second of all, it would seem to me that rather than adopting a negative and defensive attitude towards someone who could have been a potential customer, you would make a concerted effort to disprove the statement that I have just made.
    I don't think I was being negative or defensive; if it was seen this way then I apologize. I did not make a concerted effort to disprove the statement because this is not the proper thread. This does not mean I agree with your statement. If you are interested in started a thread along these lines, please do so and PM me the URL. I will discuss it further. All I suggested was that if your posts do not address the original posters question, you should move on.

But, just to illustrate my point further, I'm going to take your pricing page:

http://www.dotcanada.com/compare.asp?page=compare

And compare it to three other hosts (all US-based) that are known by mysefl and others for quality service and reasonable pricing:

http://www.alwayswebhosting.com/index.html
    http://www.sectorlink.com/convention...ngfeatures.asp
    http://www.gearhost.com/services/hos...s-features.asp

As you can see, when one compares your plans to similar plans that are US-based, the US-based plans are generally 25-30% cheaper for what amounts to the same thing.
    Again, there are many threads on price vs. quality. I am not interested in starting another one.
    This isn't the same as comparing Windows to Unix, either, because in this case, the features and packages are the same; what differs is pricing and location.
    ... and connectivity, support, reputation, reliability, redundency, etc... I'm not saying that these 3 companies don't provide these things but I am willing to bet that they are all different...

An open note to the original poster: sadly, it's this type of attitude that I find more often than not pervades companies in the Great White North. Rather than working with and listening to highly legitimate concerns from customers, they choose to adopt a superior attitude. This, among other reasons, is why I've had to look on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge for web hosting. This is not a decision I take lightly either, and if/when a Canadian web host appears that will at least match what I'm getting from a US provider, I'll be the first to jump ship. However, that's a long way from happening, if at all.
    I have not taken a superior attitude. Again, I did not argue the merits of your post as to American vs. Canadian. All I suggested is that perhaps this wasn't the proper thread.
    I think you owe it to the Canadians who are anxious to reply to your broad statements (and are polite enough to not post off-topic) to start a new thread with your "well formed opinions."

Thanks for listening,