Co-Location and cost of high quality bandwidth

Hi,

Where is the best place to Co-Locate a web server? I have a 5U box I built and I want to Co-Locate soon, well when I get two issues resolved first.

I never thought I would be entering the web hosting business but one thing led to another (long boring story) and now I find myself with a lot of questions like, if high quality bandwidth cost between two and three bucks per GB per month how can I make any money selling web accounts? How do web hosts offer 15 GB per month transfer for less than 10 bucks a month??? How do they stay in business??? Couldn't they go out of business if everyone used it at the same time???

Anyway, what I am looking for is a fast connection for my web server, I don't want a speed limit put on my machine. I spent a lot of money to have a fast machine so I want full speed to the network wherever I Co-Locate.

Where is the best place to Co-Locate with no network speed limit to my web server, lowest cost of high quality bandwidth, and "reliable" 24/7 tech support (Even if it's pay per incident) combination???

One last thing, I did read on "10-best-web-site <snip>" about a company called "Frontier Global Center" that many web hosts Co-Locate at, however I don't have any way of contacting them, I did a search and nothing. Anyone hear of them and know how to contact them?

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

you can make a profit by balancing how you oversell your resources

typically people use less than they buy and therefor it gives you room to work. You may sell 10 packages with 10GB of transfer and 100mb of space, but 70% of them will most likely use 30% of those resources, 15% may use 110% and then there is the unknown. I pulled those numbers from nowhere, but generally there are atleast 70% of hosting clients not using anywhere near thier sold package ( unless of course you are doing adult, or media intensive niches ).

as for colocation and such, what requirements do you have aside from space ?

IP address, will you need physical access and what are you looking to spend?

Those kinds of things, most importantly the price will help get you bids. I noticed you said lowest cost of high quality bandwidth.. well there is an old saying I picked up from someone.

cheap, fast, good.

pick two. hope this helps, and good luck.
    - brian

failing to plan is planning to fail.

Re: Co-Location and cost of high quality bandwidth

Originally posted by shred
    One last thing, I did read on "10-best-web-site <snip>" about a company called "Frontier Global Center" that many web hosts Co-Locate at, however I don't have any way of contacting them, I did a search and nothing. Anyone hear of them and know how to contact them?
    Sounds like a pretty old list

Frontier Globalcenter was the colocation service of Global Crossing quite a while ago. It was acquired by Exodus in January 2001, and Exodus subsequently went bankrupt and was acquired by Cable & Wireless. None of that operation is what it used to be.
    http://www.exodus.net/about_exodus/p...010110_01.html

Kevin

My recommendation for colo is www.servercentral.net

They have what your looking for.
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Try http://venturesonline.com/hosting/colocation.html
    We use and recommend VO. This year VO network was down once ~1hour in January (2-3 weeks after the move from Verio DC to own data center).
    Alex

Re: Re: Co-Location and cost of high quality bandwidth

Originally posted by sigma

Sounds like a pretty old list

Frontier Globalcenter was the colocation service of Global Crossing quite a while ago. It was acquired by Exodus in January 2001, and Exodus subsequently went bankrupt and was acquired by Cable & Wireless. None of that operation is what it used to be.
    http://www.exodus.net/about_exodus/p...010110_01.html

Kevin
    Wow! So that's what happened.

Cable and Wireless has a data center in my area. I did call them however the cost is way too high for not having any clients.

Thanks for the info!

Dan.

Re: Re: Re: Co-Location and cost of high quality bandwidth

Cable and Wireless has a data center in my area. I did call them however the cost is way too high for not having any clients.
    Try a search on www.colosource.com or a listing on www.band-x.com. There are probably plenty of Web host catalogs that have a "colocation" section as well, unless you're only looking for the big carrier places and/or carrier-neutrals.

Kevin

Re: Re: Re: Co-Location and cost of high quality bandwidth

Wow! So that's what happened.

Thanks for the info!

Dan.
    OOPS!!! I was confusing "Cable and Wireless" for "Switch and Data" for some reason I don't know!

Thanks everyone for the help!