Redone, What do you think?

Hello again,

I have redone my design and would like people's opinions. Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ikhosthome.gif  

Nice layout.

What about that header white space though? Are you going to incorporate something else between the logo on the left and something else on the right? That's a lot of wasted real estate.

[And what about those who still have 640x480 monitors -- like too many businesses who don't upgrade the monitors as fast as the servers?]

The Privacy Policy/Terms of Service/Service Level Agreement text color needs to be a lighter color, so folks will see it (it currently blends too well into the background).

And the multicolor iKhost in the bottom text needs to match the color of the logo (the K is red, but the i and host is black, not blue so it doesn't stand out).

Otherwise, it's tight template. Shows promise.

Chris

thanks, yes, I am going to add something to the top area, still not sure what though. As for people with 640x480 monitors, if the site is tailored for them then people with 1024x768 and higher will be looking at an almost blank page. I decided to optimize for 800x600 and 1024x768

I'll try the blue i and host to match the logo

Originally posted by iKHost
    thanks, yes, I am going to add something to the top area, still not sure what though. As for people with 640x480 monitors, if the site is tailored for them then people with 1024x768 and higher will be looking at an almost blank page. I decided to optimize for 800x600 and 1024x768

I'll try the blue i and host to match the logo
    Centering the plate gives the illusion of used space. When it's left aligned it can get rather ugly with wasted real estate on the right. But if it's centered people tend to forget the width around the template. If offers some fullness while also centering the focus.

One thing in composition: follow the eye. Where does the "weight" of your design lie? Is it the navigator bar? The byline? The image of the server? Just because the main objective is in the center doesn't mean the eye is drawn there. The eye likes it's candy, and what stands out on the page is going to get the attention. Draw the eye to where you wish it to go to -- with host sites that's to buy their product.

Chris

What about this?

http://www.ikhost.com/index2.html

Problem I stil lhave is open space in the middle, such a pain designing for 800x600 and 1024x768
    Last edited by iKHost; 10-27-2002 at 05:53 PM.

Re: What about this?

http://www.ikhost.com/index2.html

Problem I stil lhave is open space in the middle, such a pain designing for 800x600 and 1024x768
    I've resized the browser window for 800x600 res and getting a horizontal scroll bar. Have you double checked the width? Looks like the nav bar and the bottom footer bar is a tad over. Is the width at 750 to 760pixels?

Are you referring to some white space between the center text and the rack graphic? There is some space there, but that can be solved by getting the text to wrap around the image. There is some white space below the center area, which can be used (or just valign="center" the contents). A little white space adds "breath" so it won't look crowded, that's not a bad thing.

Still think the text needs some dressing up. It looks quite plain without some different text effect. Something to draw the attention to your selling point(s) (using the same font as the ikhost will conform to the theme). Personally, it's too angular (too many straight edges - some rounded rectangles might help break up the stiffness).

Chris

Where would I use the rounded rectagles? you mean in the "boxes"?

I really appreciate your feedback

ok, I resized my browser to 800x600 also and am not getting a horizontal scroll bar. Are you sure your browser is maximized?

ok, I resized my browser to 800x600 also and am not getting a horizontal scroll bar. Are you sure your browser is maximized?
    Measured the window at 800x436. You'll need to make the width smaller. Convention is either 750 or 760pixels wide for 800x600 resolution (knock off 30 or 40 pixels on the other resolutions to compensate for different browsers, too). Yes that'll leave some white space around the template, but you have to do that to make sure it'll fit all browsers.

That'll take care of the horizontal scroll bar. Avoid that scroll bar at all costs!

The enclosed image shows what I'm seeing at 800x600 resolution on a IE 6.0 browser.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ikhost.gif