Managed Rackshack Server

EDIT: OFFER ENDS OCTOBER 31, 2002! This is due to Rackshack increasing their setup fees after this date.

HP Branded Server
    Intel Pentium4 2.0GHz
    512 MB RAM
    80GB / 7,200RPM Hard Disk
    400GB Bandwidth
    8 IP Addresses
    RedHat Linux 7.2
    Server Administration Services Included - Further details of server administration service can be found here.
    24x7 Server Monitoring By Alertra.com Included
    Support via ICQ, MSN, AIM and/or Yahoo.
    Located at Rackshack Data Center

With CPanel/WHM v5 Control Panel
    Price: $329 Per Month
    No setup fee.

With Ensim WEBppliance 3.1.1 Control Panel
    Price: $269 Per Month
    No setup fee.

If you are interested in this offer, either e-mail (email link below) or PM me.

Alan
    Last edited by ho247; 10-29-2002 at 04:44 PM.

Is it at RackSpace.com?
    Wordpress website builder (Build Your Own Money Site) and hosting enthusiast. I test cloud hosters for speed :-). Currently working on HIPAA HQ, Let's Grind Some Coffee and Build Your Own Web Store.

Sorry, no... it's already stated in the specification that the server is "Located at Rackshack Data Center". Even though I've got a few servers at Rackspace.com, reselling servers for Rackspace would still be VERY costly.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

I would be interested in something like this, but it seems as though you are charging a very high amount for managment... twice as much as the actual server costs ($129). How come the price is so high for management?
    Sincerely,
    - StarGhost

Hardware and connection are cheap, but service is expensive. For the price that Alan is charging, it is actually quite low.

Peter

Plus CPanel costs 50.00+ a month

Originally posted by phpcoder
    Plus CPanel costs 50.00+ a month
    Yeah but ensim comes free w/ the server. And the server is $129 I believe, so he is charging $140 for management. That's probably a good price though, i'm new here so I don't know exactly how much everything goes for, but I have seen management offers before for $50... so $140 / month struck me to be a bit high. That's all.

Oh sorry... didn't see you were talking about the $129.00 server; my fault.

Originally posted by phpcoder
    Oh sorry... didn't see you were talking about the $129.00 server; my fault.
    The cpanel one would be more, since he charges an extra $70 for cpanel and most likely gets them for around $50 or less, so profit would be $160 for that one

You can't get everything at cost. It is just foolish to make purchase decision based on the cost; instead, you should make it based on its value.

For example, if you are making thousands of dollars a month off your managed server, would you care to spend an extra $20?

(no, you wouldn't).

Peter

Originally posted by ckpeter
    You can't get everything at cost. It is just foolish to make purchase decision based on the cost; instead, you should make it based on its value.

For example, if you are making thousands of dollars a month off your managed server, would you care to spend an extra $20?

(no, you wouldn't).

Peter
    I wasn't suggesting it should be given at cost. However, the ensim is offered to be managed for free, so what's any different from managing an ensim server than a cpanel/whm server? In fact, reading over his webpage it seems as though he would enjoy working with cpanel more than ensim... so not sure why he charges an extra monthly fee. That would be like me paying someone $100 to manage my ensim server, then asking them to uninstall the ensim and install cpanel and they said "I'll have to start charging you $120 a month then"... sort of rediculous when cpanel doesn't take anymore trouble to manage than ensim does. Then what happened if I decided I wanted to switch from cpanel to plesk... my monthly fee goes up another $20? See where i'm going? Once again, not trying to start anything here... I think his offer is genuine. Just questioning his pricing on control panels and it would be nice if he would explain how why he charges more to use cpanel then he does ensim.

Well, you have to look at things from his perspective as well. First of all, I am not a cpanel pro, so maybe there is, indeed, special requirements for managing cpanel.

Also, you have to consider that the list price for cpanel is $99 a month. Pricing is always an art, and a seller is always trying to price a product at the highest justifiable level. In this case, Alan (like any other seller) is merely trying maximize his profit. He must have decided that people would like cpanel enough to pay $20 more than the base price. (which by the way, is only a speculation on our part; he may really get license at $70)

I will spare you the rest of marketing lession . But remember, as a buyer, you shouldn't be concerned about how the seller came up with the price. If his offer is good, and you can justify the price, you should go for it. Whether he came up the price by rational means or by tossing dice is not your concern.

Peter

Actually, the management fee for both servers is only $129/month, this is a $21/month discount from the usual price that I charge. I can now also disclose how these prices were constructed:

Cpanel/WHM server:
    Server: $129 + 8.25% Tax = About $140/month
    Control Panel License: $60/month
    Management Fee: $129/month
    Total: $329/month

Ensim Server:
    Total: $269/month

So as you can see, the management fee for both servers are the same, with a discount from my usual $150/month fee. If you take a look at the testimonials page, you'll see why clients of mine don't mind spending slightly more. I was also surprised at a thread that was created the other day by a client, which took me some time to find out which client it was (the thread can be found here) .

The management fee of $129/month is not all profit for myself either. Each server is added to the Alertra.com monitoring service at $11.99/month, so that makes a final management fee of about $117/month... which is very low compared to what other companies would charge.

I hope this answers everyone's questions above.

Alan
    Last edited by ho247; 10-27-2002 at 04:49 AM.
    Alan Ho

What about Plesk 5.0 Unlimited user licence?
    What will be the exact price with Plesk.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Shikha
    What about Plesk 5.0 Unlimited user licence?
    What will be the exact price with Plesk.
    Sorry, I don't support the Plesk control panel, only CPanel/WHM and Ensim WEBppliance.

Alan
    Alan Ho

And of course you'd be willing to provide proof that you do actually pay $60 / mo for the cpanel license?

Originally posted by ho247
    Actually, the management fee for both servers is only $129/month, this is a $21/month discount from the usual price that I charge. I can now also disclose how these prices were constructed:

Cpanel/WHM server:
    Control Panel License: $60/month
    Total: $329/month

Ensim Server:
    Total: $269/month

So as you can see, the management fee for both servers are the same, with a discount from my usual $150/month fee. If you take a look at the testimonials page, you'll see why clients of mine don't mind spending slightly more. I was also surprised at a thread that was created the other day by a client, which took me some time to find out which client it was (the thread can be found here) .

The management fee of $129/month is not all profit for myself either. Each server is added to the Alertra.com monitoring service at $11.99/month, so that makes a final management fee of about $117/month... which is very low compared to what other companies would charge.

I hope this answers everyone's questions above.

Alan

Originally posted by StarGhost
    And of course you'd be willing to provide proof that you do actually pay $60 / mo for the cpanel license?
    Yes, if you would like to see some proof, that's fine. I'm not sure why you would want to though. I'm not a registered CPanel NOC partner, so I can't get the licenses any cheaper.

If you wish to purchase the server from Rackshack and also a CPanel license from an external provider, then I will be happy to provide you with management services for the discounted price of $129/month.

Alan
    Alan Ho

Originally posted by ho247
    Sorry, I don't support the Plesk control panel, only CPanel/WHM and Ensim WEBppliance.

Alan
    Any good reason for not offering. You may hide, simply by not replying.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Shikha
    Any good reason for not offering. You may hide, simply by not replying.

Thanks.
    Lol, no need to hide. I simply haven't had enough experience to offer management services for the Plesk control panel. If a problem came up, I wouldn't be able to solve it quick enough since I've had only little experience with it. Also, I don't use Plesk server, only CPanel, Ensim and plain servers with Webmin.

Alan
    Alan Ho

Server Management

Hello,

I personally use the services of Alan Ho. Let me say this for everybody to hear loud and clear. He is the most professional, honest and dependable server admin I have ever dealt with.

If you think his prices are a bit high, you will realize once you use his services that you get what you pay for.

When I need his help he is there, heck for that matter he just checks up on our servers all the time.

I normally do not plug or advertise for people, but in this case, Alan Deserves it.

He goes beyond what I would expect from any contractor.

Thanks so much Alan for all the work you do on our servers. I smile every month when I see your invoice!
    Simplenethosting.com

"Quality Hosting, It's that Simple"
    http://www.simplenethosting.com

Thanks for the nice comments simplenet.

Just an update on this offer... my original post has the impression that only one server was available. I am able to purchase additional servers as needed, along as Rackshack have them available. So new clients are still able to get in on this special deal. Also, small web hosting companies seem to be the main client area now, since a lot of them either don't have the time to manage their server or they just don't have the skills to.

Alan

Is this RS on OC155?

Originally posted by Perlae
    Is this RS on OC155?
    All network connections, including type and capacity can be found on their Network Usage page.

Alan

Greetings:

"but I have seen management offers before for $50"

There are times you get what you pay for <smile>.

Most companies that have an excellent track record in managed services charge $150 per hour or more (not per month, per hour).

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Most companies that have an excellent track record in managed services charge $150 per hour or more (not per month, per hour).
    Very true... I only provide the service at such a low cost since there's loads of small web hosting companies that need the occasional help with problems here and there. You find many people posting problems that they need help on, whereas myself or other System Admins could just fix the problem straight away.

Alan
    Alan Ho

Alan Ho

Hi Guys here!

Alan Ho has been providing us with server administration services for our Linux servers and few others services for many months now, and we are very delighted with his service.

As a fully satisfied customer I would recommend Alan's service with no hesitation at all, so any one who wants more comment about Alan, please contact me.
    create, manage ur website, shop, flash online with: http://QuickTechCreator.net