Many nameservers, one box

Hey guys...

I haven't every really messed with BIND or DNS so bear with me...

I have my own dedicated server (if you haven't figured that out yet, LEAVE NOW) and want two domains with their own nameservers. How can set it up so:

ns1.domain1.com \ ___________
    ns2.domain1.com / xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

ns1.domain2.com \ ___________
    ns2.domain2.com / xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

Where x IP is the same, and y IP is the same.

I know its possible, as it can happen in reseller specific hosting. I understand it is better to use x and y for domain1, and v and w for domain 2, but I don't have the extra IPs.

You don't have to assign an IP to a nameserver if you don't want, you can point a nameserver to an IP but you must register that nameserver at your registrar, some registrars don't allow multi-nameserver on a single IP but I know Enom does.
    AceWebHosting.Com
    Cheap Web Hosting - Multiple Domain Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Virtual Private Server

Originally posted by NetworksData
    You don't have to assign an IP to a nameserver if you don't want, you can point a nameserver to an IP but you must register that nameserver at your registrar, some registrars don't allow multi-nameserver on a single IP but I know Enom does.
    Actually, Verisign was the last holdout on that (as far as I know), and they changed their policy sometime last year. You should have no problem aliasing multiple nameservers to the same IP Address.

Originally posted by uuallan
    Actually, Verisign was the last holdout on that (as far as I know), and they changed their policy sometime last year. You should have no problem aliasing multiple nameservers to the same IP Address.
    Actually, DomainNameSystems.com still requires it. I was with them before I became an OpenSRS reseller and they wouldn't let me point two different nameservers to a single IP.

Brian

Can be done

Step1 - make a copy of named.conf for the 2nd IP on your machine.
    Step2 - Under options section of it specify IP address to listen to and he root directory.
    Step3 - Make the correspopnding root dir.
    Step4 - Create another user (as it should'nt be run on root).
    Step5 - Just run the named command specifying the named comand and the user.

Hope it helps. Or PM me to have a detailed expl.

Bye

KS

just make named listen on all IP's you want...
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.