Question: Good or Bad Idea?

Hey,

I was wondering if this is a good or bad idea:

Getting a domain something like (not exactly it): www.UltimateForums.com and creating a huge forum about almost everything. From Cars, to the Web, to Jobs. It would take me an extensive amount of time, but I could probably do it. Please let me know what you think.
    Ricky Lipe
    Just Thinking About U Because sometimes... you just can't help thinking about them.
    I Forgot 2 Tell You Because there is always at least one thing you forgot to tell them.

You'd better be willing to pay for a whole lot of bandwidth and even more storage space.
    A better idea would be to do one with links to the best forums in all the categories and a forum on what the best forums are and what makes a good forum.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

its been done... http://forums.off-topic.net/
    [url]I got nothing/url]

For clarity's sake, don't use "<ip address of hostname>" use the ACTUAL 32-bit numeric IP address of the machine.

Sorry for the OT post but I couldn't resist.

Good Idea: Creating a forum strictly for webhosting.

Bad Idea: Creating a forum for everything else.

Ya, i'm a cartoon junkie....so sue me.
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888

Bad Idea: I've seen too many "wannabe" forums set in a default forum style that have maybe 2-3 posts a month.

I suppose you're going to have to have a large budget for a marketing/advertising scenario.

If you can capture the audience, and have a large budget for advertising, you just might be successful.

It's hard to get people to change forums, though. It's sort of like getting them to change the restaurant they go to for lunch. You get used to a group, interact with them and stay where you're comfortable.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

It's hard to get people to change forums, though. It's sort of like getting them to change the restaurant they go to for lunch. You get used to a group, interact with them and stay where you're comfortable.
    Good words.

You might have luck with giveaway prizes or something to that degree to lure in forum members.