Thread: Yipes Bandwidth

Yipes Bandwidth

Hiya.

Can anyone provide me with info on Yipes? Yes, I've been to thier site but it doesn't say much.

I'm looking for info on availability (which markets), pricing and reliability.

Thanks,

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Contact them for availability and pricing.

Here are the 10 metro areas where they have a fiber network available along with lit bldgs and active customers:

Seattle
    San Francisco/San Jose
    San Diego
    Denver/Ft Collins
    Dallas
    Houston
    Chicago
    New York
    Philadelphia
    Washington DC/VA/MD

With a name like Yipes

they cannot be taken seriously.

As in "Yipes, my site is down again" or "Yipes, my ping response times are through the roof or "Yipes, I need a new bandwidth provider".

<<MOD NOTE: Let's not dwell on this comment, too embedded into the thread to remove the comments, but...>>
    Last edited by Chicken; 10-26-2002 at 03:14 PM.

Re: With a name like Yipes

Originally posted by Aoxomoxoa
    they cannot be taken seriously.

As in "Yipes, my site is down again" or "Yipes, my ping response times are through the roof or "Yipes, I need a new bandwidth provider".
    *sarcasm* Yeah they gotta be bad with a name like that.

What a great way to judge a company.
    Jason Mansfield - jmansfie [at] uoguelph.ca

Kdghsu, don't worry about Aoxomoxoa, if he thinks Yipes is bad that's his problem

Give me a break. Judging a company by their name? Imagine if the same thing happed to Yahoo or Lycos?

Actually, it's quite the opposite - the more original the name is, the more thought the company put into it (that's just one way of looking at it).

Anyways, considering that I don't know the company myself, I can't really give you any good advice. Just try checking out HostSearch for reviews on them. Or simply search the board.

Boris

Yahoo is the worst directory I have ever known. I mean think about it it's "yahoo it's always down"

Weird, I don't remember ever seeing it down.

Anyways, Yipes is pretty damn good. I rent several servers from Webreseller. They use Yipes, and the performance is great (especially for the price).

Neither have i ever seen yahoo.com offline, heh.
    Have you Floble'd today?

yipes is excellant bandwidth. they are extremely fast if you have an east coast provider using yipes (such as webreseller). their times are nice and fast from europe. they mix level3 and genuity bandwidth which are top providers, and their prices are pretty comparable. i'm sure you could find cheaper depending on the amount of bandwidth you're looking for. if you're looking for a gige or such, also contact many others for quotes (aleron, cogent, verio, epik, sprint, etc. etc. and etc.)

AND, please, search the name, i am seeing a ton of posts where people are asking for information on providers when, searching for them and taking a bit of time to READ the posts your find will answer most of your questions (except specific pricing and availabilty)

yipes gets a thumbs up though.

Originally posted by skylab
    yipes is excellant bandwidth. they are extremely fast if you have an east coast provider using yipes (such as webreseller). their times are nice and fast from europe. they mix level3 and genuity bandwidth which are top providers, and their prices are pretty comparable. i'm sure you could find cheaper depending on the amount of bandwidth you're looking for. if you're looking for a gige or such, also contact many others for quotes (aleron, cogent, verio, epik, sprint, etc. etc. and etc.)

AND, please, search the name, i am seeing a ton of posts where people are asking for information on providers when, searching for them and taking a bit of time to READ the posts your find will answer most of your questions (except specific pricing and availabilty)

yipes gets a thumbs up though.
    <insert "I'm with stupid" sign here>

Well said.

I've never seen yahoo offline at all.

Yahoo is actually one of the best directories - when you search for something you either get what you want or nothing at all - you don't get irreleveant results from it like you do with most search engines because Yahoo do it all by hand - they won't list your site if they don't think it's right.

I believe the comment about yahoo being bad was sarcasm since, based on its name being what it is, it would imply (base don an earlier e-mail) that they would suck, which they don't

Heh, you're probably right. If it were anywhere else I would assume so, but WHT & BS come hand in hand, so... ;)

More like, "Yipes, this is nice bandwidth"

Yipes does not own their own lines, they just provide blended bandwidth on the city level.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

I wonder what pricing per Mbps they have nowadays

Depends how much you commit to, Your looking at $75/Mbps based upon Full GIG-E I believe
    Unlimited Space & Bandwidth
    http://localhost/
    Providing hosting since 17/99/3003

thats pretty sweet for the quality. [me imagines how he would oversell that gig-e by 1000%]
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Depends how much you commit to, Your looking at $75/Mbps based upon Full GIG-E I believe
    You can get a few providers that low on a 1000 Mbps line
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Originally posted by RackMy.com
    You can get a few providers that low on a 1000 Mbps line
    Yes, and below . AT&T has lots of bandwidth to burn, so I suspect you could probally get a GIG-E from them for less than $75,000/Mo based upon full allocation.

i remember reading quite a few providers going that low. if i'm not mistaken verio, williams, cogent, yipes, aleron, and maybe epik i remember reading going LOWER (??????!) *

* = reader realizes that at this moment in my life (especially with the current fdc nightmare going on) i barely remember the events of yesterday, much less full details on what i've read in the past year on WHT.

Originally posted by skylab
    i remember reading quite a few providers going that low. if i'm not mistaken verio, williams, cogent, yipes, aleron, and maybe epik(?) i remember reading going that low(??????!) *

* = reader realizes that at this moment in my life (especially with the current fdc nightmare going on) i barely remember the events of yesterday, much less full details on what i've read in the past year on WHT.
    Add MCI/Worldcom, XO, InterNAP, Sprint, AT&T, Qwest, Level3 to that list

and added to the list they are!! i DO remember a post somewhere where someone alleged they got a verio quote around $40/Mbps on a gigE commit.

that's not bad at all

I have not heard any of our customers have a problem with Yipes. No customer that has had Yipes service has ever left them here. They cut staff and some cities with the bankruptcy, but never cut quality. That is quite different than other providers.

They have some creative pricing for datacenter customers. From what I see they dont throw pricing out until they get a qualified prospect.

We even have a customers that uses a rack in our datacenter to place a router and run T-1s to their offices to have greater performance than other T-1 providers they had tried. It is a sweet application, but a lot of work to get a T-1 to your office.
    Looking for next opportunity