GoDaddy Raising Prices in November?

Today while going through the steps to buy three more domain names, I noticed on the right-hand side the following:

"Price increases to $10/yr on November 1!"

Looks like godaddy is going to make their domains more expensive. They've got us caught in their web, so now we get to fork out $1.05 more. (I'm not saying that is still not cheap ... I'm just stating godaddy will be probably raising the price more in months following February -- making it close to what people pay for register.com, etc.)

........you then read further and you see it's for the Domains By Proxy Service........

Ahh ok ... well then why in the world have that there anyway? LOL
    DatacenterHardware.com
    Remote Power Switch / Switched PDU

bok, since you have inside information, why "GoDaddy" ? What's the story behind the name?

I read somewhere, I can't think of where it was - that the name was chosen because of its generality and that no one could ever have a trademark conflict with it.

I wish I could remember where i saw it. Must have been an interview with Bob somewhere...

-WC-

I've often wondered about the name myself. You're probably right WildCard... it definitely is a name nowone would really think of.
    DatacenterHardware.com

I'm also curious about the name. Please give us the story bok ... hehehe..

Cheers,
    Roy K.
    Pixie Internet Services - http://www.pixiehost.com
    Affordable, reliable hosting solution with Instant Activation

I use GoDaddy and even if they raised it to $10.00 it is still a bargain. I remember paying Register.Com $35.00 per year!

$100 for 2 years!

You remind me of the "good" old days when I paid Network Solutions $100 for 2 years; but then those were also the days when you are able to snap really good names MANUALLY! It's a pity that I missed the train when registering a domain is FREE!
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

bok, since you have inside information, why "GoDaddy" ? What's the story behind the name?
    Now I wish I had a great elaborate story to tell but it's as simple as: the name was catchy, very marketable and most importantly--available to register.

That's it.

I hate to tell you, but when my wife first saw the CC charges from GoDaddy for various domains in the CC statement, she thought it was for pr0n sites

I wonder what my bank thinks! lol
    DatacenterHardware.com

GoDaddy also can spell God Addy (addy is short for address). Reminiscent of what some people call their web hosting companies.
    DatacenterHardware.com

I don't, because their domain is probably registered here too.

Originally posted by bok

Actually, their with Network Solutions. It seems lots of companies still go with the expensive domain registrars.

Yep---I was joking but most of the bigger organizations are not that interested in saving such a small amount of money. It's also a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" sort of situation.

godaddy is a good service but it has its ways of forking out $$

btw does anyone know y godaddy is called godaddy!?

Originally posted by kantlivelong
    btw does anyone know y godaddy is called godaddy!?
    No, I don't. Sorry.

Because GoMomma sounded dirty

****, i registered like 10 domains from register.com last week.

I could have saved ****load of money.

Register.com

You remind me of the days when I registered names with Register.com (which was NOT yet a registrar itself then) ...
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

From the interview we did with Bob Parsons:

CN: What is the history behind Go Daddy?
    BP: What is now Go Daddy initially began business about five years ago under the name Jomax Technologies. However, prior to launching our first software application, a Web site building tool, we decided that the name Jomax Technologies was too easily forgotten, so we decided to come up with something that would be both fun and easier to remember. Somehow we came up with the name Go Daddy. We chose Go Daddy mostly because both the trademark and the domain name were available. Beyond that the name has no special meaning.

Go Daddy became a registrar in November 2000, and brought its unique business philosophy - high customer service, competitive pricing, and straight forward products - to that market. Within less than a year, Go Daddy became cash flow positive and profitable. It also became the number one registrar in the world in terms of net new names.

Go Daddy continues with the same philosophy that earned it its number one spot, by continually developing and implementing new and better products and improved customer service. Go Daddy is owned 100% by Bob Parsons. There are no other investors and Go Daddy has no long term or bank debt.
    Full interview: http://www.compunotes.com/Interviews/bparsons.htm