Potential Web Hosting Customers Beware

I was just looking around a few sites and found something quite scary. The packages basically sell Unlimited Bandwidth, but once you use a certain limit they will give you 5 days to pay for it they will disable your account.

They will charge you 20 dollars per 1 GB that you go over the usage (the terms of service says 20 GB is your limit).

So customers beware to read the terms of service before you sign up, as I feel more and more hosting companies are doing this. It's kind of like a cafe offering:

"All you can eat - upto 3 servings"

Just my rant.
    Walter Landman
    Simplicato - Email Hosting

and the url was................

No one can sell true "Unlimited Bandwidth", simply because they can't...

yes ....... and the url was................ ?

Originally posted by 2Mhost
    yes ....... and the url was................ ?

May be http://www.2mhost.com ? Huh?

The URL does not really matter - this was not meant as mud slinging. But the part that was scary was not the lie about unlimited bandwidth but the 20 dollars per gig you go over -- this is what customers should be wary off.
    Walter Landman

URL matters .. becuase some of anti-unlimited hosts used to make and publish some scary stories ..

excuse me .. I DO NOT BELIVE YOU

Walter,

It should go without saying that when you publicize such a claim, you need to provide a link so that it may be verified. Otherwise, people will form negative opinons of the ones that do this.

But carry on, if you feel you must... not my rep.

See, unlimited traffic has been cussed and discussed here more than anyone cares to remember. The fact is, there is no such thing. The only thing true about those two words, is that they are indeed words. When combined in a sentence, with a particular context intended, it simply doesn't exist.

No need to argue the thought that it does, period! :p

The sample package is: http://www.gatewaywebhosting.com/e_c...e_standard.htm

You guys missed my whole point. It was not to crack on companies who promise unlimited hosting. It is for users to read the fine print because of statements like:

In Support -> Policies & Agreements -> Terms of Service

Sites with banners, graphics or cgi scripts running from their domain used on other domains. Sites with picture galleries (This is any site where 50% of the files transferred is graphics) Sites offering download files or archives. (This is any site where 50% or more of there monthly traffic is from file downloads). Sites using more than 30% of system resources for longer than 60 seconds. Sites running multimedia files (QuickTime, Real Audio, Real Video, MP3).

Sites with banners, graphics or cgi scripts running from their domain used on other domains. Sites with picture galleries (This is any site where 50% of the files transferred is graphics) Sites offering download files or archives. (This is any site where 50% or more of there monthly traffic is from file downloads). Sites using more than 30% of system resources for longer than 60 seconds. Sites running multimedia files (QuickTime, Real Audio, Real Video, MP3).

For those that do not qualify for the unlimited service, traffic will go unmonitored until you reach 20 GB per month. Thereafter, normal data transfer cost of $20.00/1GB/month will be billed to your account. If you want to pre-pay for bandwidth overages, you will be billed $10.00/1GB/month.

You will receive a notice on Tuesday morning detailing your bandwidth usage.

If you do not pay for your overages your site will be disabled within 7 days of your first notice.
    Above from http://www.gatewaywebhosting.com/pol...sofservice.htm

Hope I made myself more clear.
    Walter Landman

Originally posted by 2Mhost
    URL matters .. becuase some of anti-unlimited hosts used to make and publish some scary stories ..

excuse me .. I DO NOT BELIVE YOU
    2MHost, your actually not so bad. YOu charge only 4 dollars per extra gig of trasnfer which is very reasonable (Especially at your low monthly price).
    Walter Landman

What you said was clear, to me... I sorta ventured off the main point on purpose.

Just wanted to confirm that validation should be inlcluded when making allegations, that's all. Surely this will come in handy for others on the hunt, to know about and keep an eye on.

Nicely done!

Re: Potential Web Hosting Customers Beware

Originally posted by wlandman
    I was just looking around a few sites and found something quite scary. The packages basically sell Unlimited Bandwidth, but once you use a certain limit they will give you 5 days to pay for it they will disable your account.

They will charge you 20 dollars per 1 GB that you go over the usage (the terms of service says 20 GB is your limit).

So customers beware to read the terms of service before you sign up, as I feel more and more hosting companies are doing this. It's kind of like a cafe offering:

"All you can eat - upto 3 servings"

Just my rant.
    no offense, but the point was? Would you like to warn us gasoline is flammable next?
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

lol porcupine
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Yes if I see a company claiming to sell gasoline that will not burn, I will send a warning out saying "Beware Gasoline is flamable" :-)

Now dont you think your comparing apples and oranges? I was just saving someone from finding a $200 dollar bill for hosting when they were expecting $40 dollars.
    Walter Landman

The post isn't aimed at hosts (so I'm not sure why hosts are replying). There's no need to be rude. The warning is for people looking for hosting, and I don't think anyone can say that it isn't a good thing to warn people about non-unlimited unlimted offers, or to check the TOS/AUP of a host carefully before you sign up. That's the point, directed at people looking for hosting, and that's all...

It might be obvious to some, however there are many people who (today) are going to sign up for an unlimited offer and others who will get reamed today because they already did.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

As a consumer I appreciate this post. As I've said before most hosting companies are arrogant and condescending towards consumers failing to realize that most consumers are not informed and rely on sites like WHT for information. Instead other hosts slam on wlandman for trying to help out. I believe one of the purposes of this site is to help consumers become informed so they don’t make mistakes like hosting with a company that promises unlimited BW only to have their site shut down or get stuck with a big overage bill. As a consumer (non-host) visiting this site I'm amazed at how nasty a lot of the hosting companies are. Customer service is as important as providing good hosting services and from the attitudes of some of the hosts on these boards I would never do business with them. Maybe you should have your own password protected site where you can just rip each other apart (out of our view).

Thank you for the warning wlandman!

I think a "warning, read your terms of service/acceptable use policy before you sign up" might have been more appropriate, as theres a lot of stuff in there thats much like this.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Originally posted by TheBest-Host
    No one can sell true "Unlimited Bandwidth", simply because they can't...
    True, but I see Verio offers that on some of its server packages. They are a different bird, because they have an extensive proprietary backbone that can reach almost anywhere. No additional cost for them, just more utilization of what they have.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

I think he is refering to our friends at *****.