Out o fthis world Requests

We as Members of wht need to stop responding to bogus requests. like 350 gig of tansfer and 1 gig of ram for 200.00 come on people you can not make money that way offering 350 gig of bandwidth for 200.00 --- also we reply to unlimited request and when know we have a limit every harddrive has a limit .. we need to eliminate the bogus request by not responding to such.. then you newbies will see some real money .. you see what happen to the free hosting world and free internet community .. i see a guy ask for 5 gig of space --10 gigs of bandwidth --cpanel or plesk --SSL-- 5 mysql databases and so on ..but wanted under 15.00 you got to be kidding me -- and people had the nerve to respond to the request

you're we should also try to post in the right forums...just let customers know by posting something like "we can offer realistic service...."

Hey $15/m isn't bad. Most of the offers are $2 a month now thats some profit! Of course everybody looks at my posts which are $50 for high availability multiple site hosting like im crazy for using double digits.

Agreed.
    Last edited by seiya; 10-26-2002 at 02:16 PM.

I couldn’t agree more! You have the most trouble from those that do not want to pay much for your services. I skip over their request. You see companies going out of business every day from trying to host people with unrealistic request. I'm in business to be fair with our customers and with ourselves. I would rather have my servers just sitting rather then responding to a request that I know is ridiculous! We are in business to give a quality service and for such services they have to be paid for.

sales@rackeasy.com

I couldn't agree more .

I agree with you. Like Bowman, I usually skip those type of request. But I feel a little sad if a customer got burned at the end, if they don't know what they are getting into. I believe quality product and service will last a lot longer.

I hope that all of us webhosting providers can bring the market price up a little bit to where it is comfortable for majority to operate. I feel that we have quite a sharp competition here at WHT.

Best Regards,
    Reyner Natahamidjaja
    :: Global IP Networks - Tier 3 Data Center and Managed IT Solutions
    :: SSAE 16 SOC-2, PCI and HIPAA Compliant
    :: https://gipnetworks.com

Gemini,

I agree with what your saying, but what you are suggesting is maybe bordering on what is called "price fixing"..which is against the law.

You'll notice I respond to very few requests in here becuase of what your saying. I think I've gotten one new account out of the requests forum, and he only stayed a month.

When I do respond to a request I am most generally the highest one making a post, but maybe someday I'll answer a request for someone who actually understands the difference in an unreasonable offer which wont last, and a reasonable one from a good company that has real employee's, etc.

Well done, finally we known what drives humans. FEAR and GREED. Fear you will loose out and Greed because you want it. This is becoming more and more a pie in the sky request forum. Do we remeber :

15,000 members 100GB Bandwidth => For a small ad?

Or even better, 254 IP's for $99 per month.

I am not flaming the people who posted it, they just so memorable to me. WE create our own mess and then we complain. Remeber the last post on Sanity, cut & paste offers must stop? Well it did not go away just look at the offers posted again and neither will this.

Let me ask you about this, a reseller wants unlimited domains, 1GB disk space and 30GB bandwidth. Now there is an offer for USD25.00 per month in this forum on that request. Let me pose a question, for $25 per month I would need 4 of them just to cover running costs alone of 1 server let alone the return on investment in hardware. So lets figure:

$25 X 4 = > USD100.00
    4 X resellers X 50 domains each = 200 web sites excluding unlimited subdomains.

No profit so I add another 4 resellers. So now we have 8 resellers on one machine.

Now, when the server is slow - Bad host!!! 200+ websites, each with MySql and Tomcat here and there, how long is the proccesor queue’s then, and the ram, are you swapping already. Oh no its that time again - time to move.

IMHO, the Hosting Industry is in one big circle jerk. You have hardware that needs to be filled. You sell reseller accounts outside of your normal accounts. Easy to start. Resellers then sell the space for you. Nothing wrong but the profit margin start going thin on your end with resellers, so you squezze more on the hardware. How long does it hold? A reseller just looks at the Space & Bandwidth, no mention or thought of, am I sucking the life out of the processor or ram. Now, once again this is not a flame on resellers, but when you sitting on 1GB of space and 50GB of bandwith and unlimited domains, human nature says that you will fill it for a buck if you must hoping he will upgrade. Server uptime and tuning is not your responsibility!!! So the circle jerk starts again. USD2.00 for 100MB & 10GB bandwidth I am paying for it so what the hell lets use it as long as it helps cover my $25 at the end of the month.

People's web sites are not that important to them if they are looking for cheap. If you apply the same business principles to where you live - Would you want to live in a slum because it is cheap, or live where you feel comfortable. So why do you expect to live in Beverly Hills at slum prices. Yes and I know the debate on higher prices does not guarentee anything. That is true because in this industry you dont really know who is who or who owns what.

Sometimes I think we are in the last dot bomb industry left.
    Last edited by Netbridge; 10-25-2002 at 03:26 PM.

Originally posted by bowman
    I couldn’t agree more! You have the most trouble from those that do not want to pay much for your services. I skip over their request. You see companies going out of business every day from trying to host people with unrealistic request. I'm in business to be fair with our customers and with ourselves. I would rather have my servers just sitting rather then responding to a request that I know is ridiculous! We are in business to give a quality service and for such services they have to be paid for.

sales@rackeasy.com
    thats was my point also -- i will let my servers sit for months until i get a reliable client-- and also the cheaper the price the worst the headache you going to have --believe it or not they dont even pay on time

[i]

I hope that all of us webhosting providers can bring the market price up a little bit to where it is comfortable for majority to operate. I feel that we have quite a sharp competition here at WHT.

[/B]
    Well said

Netbridge

if Host will give out less space and less bandwidth there will be a nice profit for everyone to enjoy -- what happens is we give reseller too much space and they are trying to get where we are so they offer cheap prices forget about the service and uptime--security issues just get some money in and that it.. i felt like i had to creat this topic its been on my mind for 8 months.. im even considering taken frontpage ext. off my servers lol

Another (possible) problem or scenario is this...some of us are legitimate businesses, with employee's, a store-front, we pay taxes, etc....so we have to have a certain "margin"...

BUT...nowadays there are so many kids who are leasing servers who are happy to make 100.00 a month. So in this case, they can actually price bandwidth at 50 or 60 cents per GB, and still make 100.00 or more per month profit.

To a 15 year old kid this is pretty good money.

Re: Out o fthis world Requests

Originally posted by **********
    We as Members of wht need to stop responding to bogus requests. like 350 gig of tansfer and 1 gig of ram for 200.00 come on people you can not make money that way offering 350 gig of bandwidth for 200.00 --- also we reply to unlimited request and when know we have a limit every harddrive has a limit .. we need to eliminate the bogus request by not responding to such.. then you newbies will see some real money .. you see what happen to the free hosting world and free internet community .. i see a guy ask for 5 gig of space --10 gigs of bandwidth --cpanel or plesk --SSL-- 5 mysql databases and so on ..but wanted under 15.00 you got to be kidding me -- and people had the nerve to respond to the request
    Perhaps you cannot, but plenty of people can make a honest buck offering ~1.5mbps of service for $200/mo, but you're narrowing out upper end services, pick on the people peddling 900gb of transit at $120/mo they deserve it more, $200 for 1.5mbps of service is a realistic figure for many-a-cogent hosts out there .
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

... Ironic your nickname has been banned
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

shouldn't this going into a different thread? (running a hosting biz or lounge?)

Why couldn't all the host here on this board have a minimum per month that they will host or have the Mods set a standard for all request that are made here?

Let's say $9.99 a month!

They have the power to set a limit on the board since they run it.

Then every customer that visits here requesting hosting will get offers that are no lower than $9.99 per month.

Only then will this downward spiraling trend come to a stop. Well, at least here!

One other option that would stop overselling is Control Panels.
    All control Panels should have set limits for each reseller or customer.
    We currently use Wec://cp for our CP. Once we set-up a reseller with let's say 30 gig bw, the most domains/accounts he can resell is 30, 1 per gigs bw allotted.
    If he allots 10 gigs to one domain then he can only set up 20 more.

This would stop the serious overselling that is happening if all cpanels had bw/mb restrictions like web://cp.
    Thanks,
    James Taylor

I don't think regulations, standards, a ban on advertising, etc are what is needed.

If people charge too little then they are likely not going to be serious about business and will drop out on their own eventually. (Like the aforementioned example of the 15 year old.)

If you look at any top-heavy regulation business model you see MORE problems, not less. The big always get bigger under that method of doing things, because once the "regulation" starts it ends up being like a train with no brakes heading downhill. No way to slow it down or stop it. Then the large companies (Dell, Verio, etc) would take over and chop out the "little guy" --ie their competitors and form a few smaller, huge corporations and make it impossible to compete.

I think the answer is to have your own standards for your service and stick by them. If you offer service to resellers keep an eye on the resources they use, and maybe make standards.

The Unlimited domains is mostly a usefull feature to make your own plans as a reseller than anything else. If someone DOES try to slap 1000 domains on a 10GB allocation of pipe then they will soon be out of business, even if you DONT cut their account for abuse of resources.

Like someone with bad eyesite and a love for juggling explosives, poor business practices are often a self-resolving issue.

Re: Out o fthis world Requests

Originally posted by **********
    350 gig of tansfer and 1 gig of ram
    --cpanel or plesk
    --SSL
    -- 5 mysql databases

I can provide you with this for $.99 a year. Contact me if interested.

"Last year, some resourceful software enthusiasts cracked Sony Music's proprietary technology simply by scribbling around the edges of the disc with a Magic Marker pen, thus enabling playback on any device." - news.com