Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    842

    Information About Cogent Please?

    Hello. I am looking at getting a Cogent line for a site that I own. It seems to be a great deal. I was wondering if you could tell me about your experiences with them? Also, are there any setup fees, equipment you need to by, ect? Also, I have heard it is slower? It says it is 100mbps, so would speeds be the same as say 100mbps att line? They are both measued at 100mbps right? Also, think they would install a line in a house? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    261
    "Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."
    - Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,963
    ummmmm........

    WTF does FDC / that thread have to do with what he was asking?

    he's wanting to go to cogent directly. By you posting that thread, you make it seem like cogent = bad people who just shut off people for no reason, etc

    FDC was turned off because fo aup/tos violations, simple as that. COGENT IS PRETTY stable IMO.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954

    Re: Information About Cogent Please?

    Originally posted by KyleLC23
    Hello. I am looking at getting a Cogent line for a site that I own. It seems to be a great deal. I was wondering if you could tell me about your experiences with them? Also, are there any setup fees, equipment you need to by, ect? Also, I have heard it is slower? It says it is 100mbps, so would speeds be the same as say 100mbps att line? They are both measued at 100mbps right? Also, think they would install a line in a house? Thanks.
    If you do any hosting or reselling, its not $1k for 100mbps, they will not run the line anywhere you want, you have to come to them, its a $3500 setup, you need a router typically (or so they ask), etc.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    842
    What, it says 1000 dollars for 100mbps? Can anyone give me info on them. Has anone ever got a line with them? What do you mean I have to come to them? I live in HOuston, and one of their access point things is in houston? Please explain.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954
    heh, we had a line with cogent

    $1000/100mbps is only for "end users" if you do webhosting, servers, anything at all basically you dont qualify as an end user.

    For resellers (everyone else) it's $3,000/100mbps, and i hear their rates are going up (i know it's $5000 cdn where i am, which is approx $3400), they have a $3500 setup fee, and they wont run it to any building of your choice, you have to get office space in a office building or data center they're already established in.

    Call up cogent and find out which buildings are lit in houston.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    842
    What would be consdered an enduser?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    2,564
    end user = some sob whos richer then hell who basicly just wants the connection for surfing the web and playing games..IMHO
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    1,593
    Basically, end users are people who directly utilize the connection. For example, a company hosting its website, a university connecting its network to the outside, etc...

    If you resell the connection (that is, web hosting), then you are not an end user.

    Peter

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    1,262
    Originally posted by interactive
    end user = some sob whos richer then hell who basicly just wants the connection for surfing the web and playing games..IMHO
    yea hehe and this rich sob thinks he is goin high style with his personal 100mbit connect and then his friend down the road on 29.99 cable pings 50 and him on his 100mbit pings 200

    he says WTF hahahaha

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    677
    And he did say he was hosting his own website isn't it? That's an end-user.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    677
    zdwebhosting: but he will be laughing whenever he downloads stuff from fast sites =)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954
    Originally posted by zdwebhosting


    yea hehe and this rich sob thinks he is goin high style with his personal 100mbit connect and then his friend down the road on 29.99 cable pings 50 and him on his 100mbit pings 200

    he says WTF hahahaha
    ... Until he hits his favorite porn site

  16. #16
    Originally posted by porcupine
    If you make money off it, you're not an end user
    Cheers to that!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    261
    Originally posted by clocker1996
    ummmmm........

    WTF does FDC / that thread have to do with what he was asking?

    he's wanting to go to cogent directly. By you posting that thread, you make it seem like cogent = bad people who just shut off people for no reason, etc

    FDC was turned off because fo aup/tos violations, simple as that. COGENT IS PRETTY stable IMO.
    I believe in his post, he asked about experiences with Cogent, and I linked him to a thread with related info. Committing an action that would shut off thousands of websites with only 4 hours notice is not something I'd consider "stable." But then, neither is your reaction to my post, so it's all relative I suppose.
    "Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."
    - Mark Twain

  18. #18
    Originally posted by Justice

    I believe in his post, he asked about experiences with Cogent, and I linked him to a thread with related info. Committing an action that would shut off thousands of websites with only 4 hours notice is not something I'd consider "stable." But then, neither is your reaction to my post, so it's all relative I suppose.
    So Cogent should have kept the line open and should have enabled the spammers to continue spamming?
    321Host-It Internet Services
    http://www.321host-it.com
    ICQ: 17021242 E-mail: [email protected]

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954
    From my understanding, FDC had numerous opportunities and warnings. I mean it takes a LOT of neglect typically before people will even contact your uplink provider (*MOST* people, i know there are some unreasonable people out there that contact your uplink provider instead of you).

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    261
    Originally posted by Gernot
    So Cogent should have kept the line open and should have enabled the spammers to continue spamming?
    Was it not at all possible to just disable the IP (or IPs) causing the spamming, or give a warning longer than 4 hours? I'm no expert on their business, but that seemed like a very unstable way of handling a situation. I think anything that would disable thousands of "innocent" websites should be handled with a bit more discretion than just pulling the plug. An action like that is set up to cause more problems than solutions.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    261
    By the way, I'm speaking as a person whose site (and several client sites) went offline for days because of this decision. If you all had your websites offline for days because of the actions of another client, I doubt you'd be siding with Cogent, but that's just me.
    "Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."
    - Mark Twain

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,565
    Originally posted by Justice
    By the way, I'm speaking as a person whose site (and several client sites) went offline for days because of this decision. If you all had your websites offline for days because of the actions of another client, I doubt you'd be siding with Cogent, but that's just me.
    Actually, If I was in your situation I'd be on a plane to Chicago to find the FDC guys. The fact that they say they were null routing spammers left and right tells me they had a little more than 4 hours notice. I'd be mad as hell the let it get to this point. No, I don't know the specifics but I've been in this business for along time. Providers don't just "switch off" a GigE customer at the drop of a hat.

    But... that, as they say, is just me.

    Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    North Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    2,565
    Oh, sorry, heh, I meant to respond to the origional question.

    Call Cogent and talk to them about availability in Houston. See if they will even service you. Then, if they can, check other customer's opinions.

    Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Kelowna B.C.
    Posts
    1,687
    Originally posted by WII-Aaron


    Actually, If I was in your situation I'd be on a plane to Chicago to find the FDC guys. The fact that they say they were null routing spammers left and right tells me they had a little more than 4 hours notice. I'd be mad as hell the let it get to this point. No, I don't know the specifics but I've been in this business for along time. Providers don't just "switch off" a GigE customer at the drop of a hat.

    But... that, as they say, is just me.

    Aaron

    Even if it is Cogent, providers don't do that unless there is 1. A serious network problem that needs to be addressed or 2. There has been a history of AUP infringements and the last one they had was the last straw. Cogent wouldn't have shut down Kingcomp within 4 hours (provided the story is true) if it wasn't in their best interest to cover their ass. According to the google link a while back it doesn't appear that Cogent will not be doing business with Kingcomp ever again. They must have really pissed em off, providers don't shut off a GigE pipe because they feel like it.
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •