local network site testing

Hi,

I have set up a linux machine with webserver and this and that on my local network.

I want to be able to set up a test domain such as test.com and be able to access it from other machines on the local network without having those machines hit the internet and finding the real test.com site.

How do I set this up?

Thanks

not to hard, just assign fake ips. the easiset to use imho is 192.168.1.0
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

i've done that already - but if I try to access test.com from another pc on my network it goes to the actual test.com website instead of going to the test.com on my local webserver.

I can reach it via the IP address that I set up for it. but i need to be able to reach it via the domain name.

on your computer, set your dns to that of the dns server you have running
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.

thanks - i'll try that.

on a win98 box - is this set up in the TCP/IP configuration box?

I currently have DNS Disabled but if I enable it for this - what goes in these settings?

DNS Settings

Hostname: Domain:

DNS Server Search Order:

Domain Suffix Search Order:

on tcpip, click properties, then where it says use automaticly obtained dns settings, change it to select your own. Enter the ip of your dns server there

win98 doesn't have that option. it is a simple dialog as mentioned above

enable it, try adding it to "DNS Server Search Order:"

Then check winipcfg and see if it updated

Actually, what you want to do can be easily accomplished by adding an entry to your hosts file (on Win98 it is probably located at C:\Windows\hosts)

Just edit that file in NotePad or some other text editor and add a line similar to the following....

192.168.0.4 www.domain.com

where the ip address is the address you have the test site running on, and the domain.com is the domain name you wish to access the test site with. You can add several "aliases" separated by spaces on the line, if there is more than one hostname you wish to use for that ip address, such as with and without the www.

example:

192.168.0.4 domain.com www.domain.com ftp.domain.com

You will probably need to restart your browser to get it to pick up changes in the file. When you get done testing and want to revert back to the "real" DNS, just remove the line(s) from the hosts file.

Also, the hosts file is named just that... "hosts" so make sure you don't edit hosts.sam or any other file to accomplish this.

elsmore1 - this is exactly what I was looking for.

However - I do not have a 'hosts' file to edit.

Doing a search reveals only the hosts.sam file.

The hosts.sam(ple) file is a sample of what you want, but you don't really need anything in the file other than the line like I posted earlier. So you can just create a new text file named hosts (In your "Save As..." dialog box put the filename hosts in quotes to keep NotePad from automatically adding the .txt extension) or you could open hosts.sam and save as hosts the same way, after adding the lines you wish.

thanks - i'll give this a try.

The 'hosts' file worked PERFRECTLY.

Thanks - this makes site testing WAY easier then screwing with all that DNS stuff.