ChainedSSL or **********?

Which of these two is better? Chained SSL claims they use the same thing as Instant SSL, but didn't Instant SSL just recently change how they sign certs? I see they are recognized by 99% of browsers now...if Chained SSL is still the same thing as Instant SSL, then for half the price it's a no-brainer for me which to get.

I guess what I'm basically asking is, if there is a difference, then which one's better?
    Last edited by LinuxRigs; 10-24-2002 at 03:14 AM.

Ok, so I guess I shouldn't use the second one since it's starred out. So does anyone know if Chained SSL is just as good so I can use that instead?

Just because it's starred out, doesn't mean it isn't good. Usually just means that they have a hard time following WHT's rules. You should email mods (address at the bottom of every page) to find out just why they're starred out.
    I don't lmpw anything about Chained SSL.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

ChainedSSL and ********** are physically the same cert, both signed by the same Baltimore root cert. As I understand it, the only differences are in the following areas:

1) Support - I have see it asserted that with the ChainedSSL cert, you get no support, but you do with **********. I do not know if this is 100% true. I have a ChainedSSL, but have never tried to get any support from GeoTrust.

2) Comodo (the starred out company) claims to validate businesses and domain names to ensure that the person or business ordering the cert exists and has a right to use that cert for that domain name. ChainedSSL is sold with no validaion that I know of.

If you look around, you will find resellers that sell the ********** cert for the same prices as the ChainedSSL cert, so the pricing is a wash.

Oh, and it is my understanding that Comodo (the starred out company) was starred out because of spamming the forum.
    Marty Hoskins
    http://tlcwe.com

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    . . . . . . . . .
    I don't lmpw anything about Chained SSL.
    Before anyone asks what "lmpw" means . . . . . . . . . .

It just means that, I don't watch when I type and my right hand apparently wasn't on the home keys.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I know they were both the same, but I thought I read somewhere that the Instant*** one started to sign with a different root and was recognized by more browsers now? Not entirely sure on that, I've read so much here it's hard to remember what was what. Anyways, they claim 99% compatability, and I don't see anything that states compatability with Chained SSL. I did do some research on Chained SSL and saw that they seem to be owned by geotrust, in fact they state if you want to use a cert for mission critical stuff to buy a geotrust cert instead.

So that's the confusing part. I know that Instant*** is more trusted than a Geotrust cert, but their site states that the Geotrust cert is more trusted than a Chained SSL one. If that's true, then how can the Chained SSL be as trusted as the Instant one?

The only two things that would make sense, is if Instant*** did indeed start signing with a different root cert and gained a lot more compatability, or if Chained SSL is actually better than GeoTrust but their claim of GeoTrust being better is simply because it's signed against a root cert and not a chained one.

Lastly, I did search and didn't see any cheap Instant*** resellers but I'll keep looking. If I knew 100% sure that the Chained one was as good, I'd go with that instead though.

Originally posted by Marty
    Oh, and it is my understanding that Comodo (the starred out company) was starred out because of spamming the forum.
    This would be correct, under different usernames, under usernames where they claimed to be a reseller, etc. They've made agreements, and have broken them. This from a 'trusted' organization.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

Originally posted by LinuxRigs
    or if Chained SSL is actually better than GeoTrust but their claim of GeoTrust being better is simply because it's signed against a root cert and not a chained one.
    This is my understanding of why they claim Geotrust QuickSSL to be better than ChainedSSL.

Originally posted by LinuxRigs
    Lastly, I did search and didn't see any cheap Instant*** resellers
    www.ebizid.com
    Marty Hoskins
    http://tlcwe.com