hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Saving an Illustrator file as a .pdf

Forum Jump

Saving an Illustrator file as a .pdf

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2002, 09:24 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Saving an Illustrator file as a .pdf

Can someone tell me how to save an Illustrator file to .pdf? If I outline the fonts and then try to save it, the fonts edges become jagged. Is there a way of doing this that I can avoid that? Or, can't you save outlined fonts in .pdf format.

What settings are recommended?

Many thanks,

Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2002, 09:55 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Try taking off all the check boxes in the compression tab.

Old 10-23-2002, 10:13 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

DoobyWho:

I tried what you suggested but that doesn't help any.

My object is to make a .pdf file so that everyone can read the fonts. I thought the best way would be to outline my fonts first and then save it in .pdf. I have tried many different settings but none seem to work.

Is there anyway to accomplish this?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2002, 11:11 PM
Web Hosting Master

I simply just export it as a PDF at the highest quality. I don't save it as.. but export. Maybe that is the difference?

Old 10-23-2002, 11:43 PM
ex-Aussie

haven't done it that way (don't have illustrator), but have you considered saving as an .eps file instead? That should retain the fonts, but also make it possible to open in photoshop (without layers of course)

Greg Moore

Old 10-24-2002, 12:16 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Yes, but who can open an .eps file, anyone? Or, just people with Illustrator. I thought the purpose of a .pdf was so that anyone with Acrobat Reader could open it.

I will try exporting it and see if that is any better.

Old 10-24-2002, 12:26 AM
Web Hosting Master

File Save As

Type in file name and select .pdf from the drop down menu. Click "Okay."

If you save as a PDF, the font should be embedded within the file, I've had no troubles that way.

Try doing that without converting your text to outlines.

Old 10-24-2002, 12:37 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Can you tell me what is actually happening when you embed the fonts? If the person who receives the file dosen't have the font that were used to create the .pdf, do they need to download the fonts off the internet? Or, do the embeded fonts make it work right when they open it?

Also, can you tell me what other settings I should use? If I use embed fonts, then I have to use "General" instead of "Compression." I guess that makes the file size bigger, huh?

Would I be better off using somme common font that everyone would have on their machine and choose compression instead of General? What would be a good font for that purpose?

Many thanks!

Ron

Old 10-24-2002, 12:38 AM
Web Hosting Master

What are you trying to do with the file?
What version of Illustrator are you using? AI 9 and later uses pdf as its underlying programming and works different from previous versions. You just need to "save as" to get a pdf.
Frequently a pdf will look jagged on screen but prints perfectly.
Small fonts that are converted to outlines almost always do this.
If you're using AI9, when you save it, at the top theres a menu for display. Change "default" to "screen optimized." That will help. Also set the version of pdf to 4, not 5.
What you really need to do is embed the fonts in the pdf rather than making outlines. It creates a huge file but it works.
An EPS should only be used for commercial printing. It stands for Encapsulated Post Script which is the language used by RIPS and page layout programs such as Quark and InDesign. It's used to preserve vector qualities.

Old 10-24-2002, 12:42 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron
Can you tell me what is actually happening when you embed the fonts? If the person who receives the file dosen't have the font that were used to create the .pdf, do they need to download the fonts off the internet? Or, do the embeded fonts make it work right when they open it?

Also, can you tell me what other settings I should use? If I use embed fonts, then I have to use "General" instead of "Compression." I guess that makes the file size bigger, huh?

Ron
When you embed a font, it packages the font with the file. Anyone can read it with that font.
The problem is that not all fonts can be embedded. Some have licensing restrictions and when you try to embed them you'll get a warning saying you can't. With those, switch to outline. This rarely applies to standard text fonts.
The default settings in AI9 are fine. If you want it to look good on screen, just change the "default" to "screen settings."

Old 10-24-2002, 12:48 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

madmouser,

I am using Illustrator 8.0 on a Mac. It allows me to save as either Acrobat 3 or 4. Wouldn't it be better to save as 3.0 in case someone only has an old version of Acrobat?

The purpose of the file is as a brochure which is sent to clients by email. The one I am working on is already 1.4MB with embeded fonts and it is only three pages long.

Old 10-24-2002, 01:10 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron
madmouser,

I am using Illustrator 8.0 on a Mac. It allows me to save as either Acrobat 3 or 4. Wouldn't it be better to save as 3.0 in case someone only has an old version of Acrobat?

The purpose of the file is as a brochure which is sent to clients by email. The one I am working on is already 1.4MB with embeded fonts and it is only three pages long.
Use 4. It's been out for years. 5 is the latest version but isn't widely used yet.
There are several things you can do to reduce file size:
1. Limit the number of fonts. In Illustrator, every style of a font counts as a font: Arial Bold, Arial Italic, Arial Regular, Arial Black are counted as four separate fonts. Illustrator doesn't fake bold or italic.
2. Convert type larger than 14-16pt to outlines.
3. Check the option to use subsets of fonts.
4. Optimize any pictures or graphics. Crop judiciously and use as .jpgs.

Old 10-24-2002, 04:21 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Laura,

Thanks for all the info. When you say:

"3. Check the option to use subsets of fonts."

What percentage is good? Not sure what it is really for.

Since embedding fonts makes the file size larger, would I be better off just using a font or two that everyone would have on their machine? Not sure what that font(s) would be. Would it be too risky? This file will be sent to many countries (in English).

Old 10-24-2002, 05:18 AM
Web Hosting Master

Do you have the full Acrobat package, or just Acrobat reader? I know a way to make the file smaller, but you need full Acrobat for that, because it has Distiller in it, and you can save the file as .ps to run it through Distiller.

Old 10-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron
Laura,

Thanks for all the info. When you say:

"3. Check the option to use subsets of fonts."

What percentage is good? Not sure what it is really for.
Experiment to see what works to make the file smaller. It means that it will only embed those characters that are actually used in the document rather than the whole font set, which may or may not make it smaller, depending on how much information has to be added.
It will depend on what you're using. Start at 10% and go up in increments and see what the file size is.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Dropbox Suffers Temporary Outage Impacting File Sharing and Synchronizing Web Hosting News 2014-03-14 12:11:46
AeroFS Launches Private File Sharing Software Web Hosting News 2013-11-22 17:00:53
Egnyte Launches Program to PRISM-Proof Enterprise Cloud File-sharing Web Hosting News 2013-09-27 13:45:48
ownCloud Releases Latest Version of Enterprise Private Cloud Platform Web Hosting News 2013-07-16 14:20:14
Gladinet Launches Cloud Enterprise Service to Access SAN as a Private Cloud Web Hosting News 2013-03-28 14:19:44