* How to create cheap redundancy for hosting

Customer asked what it would be worth to give him near 100% reliability. The only way I could think of is to have atleast 2 seperate servers that have atleast 99.xx% reliability. Then if the main went down, the second backup server could take over.

I am trying to see how to implement it though - and I am not sure if this is feasible.

If I had two servers, and each server has it's own name servers - could I work it so that:
    1) Primary server &
    2) Backup server &

So if the primary name servers didn't respond, would people's browsers then be compelled to try ns3 and ns4 (and the backup server accordingly)?

Would be a nice value added service. Any thoughts or ideas? Anyone have a nice redundancy plan setup?

I'm fairly sure it doesn't automatically go to like primary nameserver, but rather whichever responds first, and once they are on the site they stay using the name servers. So for example like if someone went to, and the NS1 name server responded first, however then it went down as they were browsing the site, they would still see a 404.

Crap, I can't think of any better way to make it work.

Any ideas?

You need to do what I do...but I'm not telling, so nyah!

Actually, you just need to set it up on a failover service - there are quite a few out there. When 1 site fails to respond, DNS automatically kicks it over to the other IP.

Mind suggesting which one you use?

But doesn't that setup the failover service to be the one point of failure? Just trying to avoid that, or atleast shorten the chance of long MTTRs.

Failover or a cheap load balancer would be my suggestion. | sales | 800.710.8004
    LA Grand Avenue, Rancho Cordova, cages, racks and power plus HE Fremont cabinets available!

Isn't that what what two DNS entries are for? Am I not understanding something? 123.456.789.456 678.910.11.12 <-- some server somewhere else.

If the primary Nameserver can't be contacted, your next Nameserver will be contacted. Well, I guess that doesn't solve the problem for customers who have already resoved to your primary Nameserver. Did I just answer my own question?

Bah! Bedtime for me.

Westbury, LI NY
    Originally posted by Brian S
    If the primary Nameserver can't be contacted, your next Nameserver will be contacted.

As ingenious says, its which responds first. Though some DNS stuff can be done to help you get to the uptime, but its not the best way at all.

given that the network has 100% uptime, you could monitor the main server and if it goes down, update the routing tables to have the traffic routed to the second box. thats not a biggie, but what are you gonna do with databases? ie, how do you ensure that the db on the second box is up to date? db replication can be tricky, depending on the concurrency and other factors, dr dobbs had an insightful article on that in their august or so issue i think.

* Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at]

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters