Selling a domain name. Tips please.

I have had a request from a company who wish to purchase a domain name I have. Seems genuine - I think they had it before me and let it lapse!

Any tips on how to establish a price and how to ensure I get the money if I decide to sell?

how long is it? what kind of company? .net .com etc
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

So basically some group has had a domain for a few years, forgot to renew or something and you got it. Now they want it back and are so desperate that they are willing to pay?

Id give it to them for free. Maybe if I didnt like them for some arbitrary reason Id ask tha tthey put a link at the bottom of their page to my site, which doesnt hurt them, but helps me.

give them a subdomain....

just a thought
    You are unique, just like everyone else.

What is the domain? If its worth anything, you might want to keep it under your ownership and let it point to their site.
    hostVentura
    adam.ferree@gmail.com
    AIM: windsofnihility

You can check www.archive.org to see if they had a site up before you baught the domain. If it was - then fair is fair - sell it back to them, but not bad to make a few bucks from it - and as the domain owner you should get the money first unless they want to pay for escrow.com etc.

Originally posted by dreamHOBO
    What is the domain? If its worth anything, you might want to keep it under your ownership and let it point to their site.
    i like that idea better...

or maybe you could... rent it to them...

but you may wanna be careful, they may be able to get you for copyright crap

well.. legally if they have a trademark or copyright they might try and just take it.. so why not think of a price you would be happy with and suggest they buy it for that?

Dont be greedy or the company will probably attempt to take the domain by force.. If you make it an ammount you are happy with and an ammount they wont notice missing from the bank.. then there is no reason why it wont be a fast happy outcome
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

If you are using it for something I would suggest just placing a link to their current site. If you aren't actively using it, sell it back to them. I wouldn't try to make a ton of money off of it, but I would say its fine to cover your original cost of registering it, but not much more than that. I think it would be rather disappointing to profit off of someone elses misfortune.

Good deeds are returned in time
    Jordan Bouvier

i agree there with matt. See if they used to have it. Also you can get yoru Domain apraised for free at this one forum. I cant remember where it is though. I would post asking about domain aparaisal in the right forum and someone will tell you where to go and you post up yoru domain and these ppl will all look at it and tell you how much they think its worth for free. Or you can pay some place to do it too if you want it professional.

but yeah...if they had it fairly give it to them for just a little more than you paid. if they never had it make some profit but be careful not to go to high or they may just say forget you and move on.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I doubt very much whether they have the TM, but is there an easy way to check TMs online?

According to Archive.org there was never really a web presence other than mine - they, or someone just had a placeholder to a private site. The previous owners definitely used it for e-mail - I used to write and advise but nothing happened and the attachments were big so I've had to :blackhole: them.

I found the domain was available one day and bought for a bona fide project of the same name. I have had the domain for quite a while - I've even renewed it - so they don't get my sympathy for letting it lapse (I'm not absolutely certain that that is the case and they haven't said that).

If there wasn't really a site before yours: Forget about them; its your domain now.

If you have had the domain for so long that it has been renewed: Forget that company; the site obviously means nothing to them.

If you want to sell it to them for a hefty $$$ and they are willing to pay it - do so, otherwise keep it for yourself.

Well, before you tell him to sell it for a lot of money - why not tell us what the domain name is? Let us help rate it. Many of us have sold many domains and know what the market may bear.

-WC-