Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Change of plans. I don't think I need unlimited e-mail after all. 'Cos what's the point of having unlimited e-mail if I only have a limited disk space? What's most important is still speed. Are US hosts really slower than local (Singapore) ones?

Originally posted by ipporek
    Which one?
    http://www.venturesonline.com

Is there any way to find out if a web host has a fast or slow connection, as in will my website be fast or slow?

Oh ya, is 622Mbps fast? That's what Switchfusion is using.

Just thought of something. I noticed some web hosts offer dedicated IP for some plans. What's the use of a dedicated IP??

I am from Singapore. So let me tell you the difference between US and Singapore host. Most hosts (almost all) in Singapore promises unlimited bandwidth. They generally are also higher costs to start with. Now, when getting a host in Singapore, there's 2 types of bandwidth. One is local and the other is overseas. Singapore hosts have outstanding bandwidth locally via the SingaporeOne network and you can have blazing speeds locally. However when it comes to overseas bandwidth they suffer. Most have limited lines. US hosts being situated in the hub of all internet traffic is have of course more bandwidth. The cost is actually lower although it comes with a bandwidth limit usually (unless the company wants to go bankrupt soon). Which is better? It depends. If all your visitors are going to be from local, it may make more sense for a local host. Otherwise, you are better off with a US host since all the traffic seems to route through US most of the time.

A lot of times, local hosts tout 622mbit/s. That's the connection to SingaporeOne network which is the local bw. It's NOT the same as their overseas connection. A lot of times, this is where they suffer.
    Last edited by silversurfer; 11-10-2002 at 01:16 PM.

So I should find out what their overseas connection is like, is it?

PM me if you want more information. But the short answer is yes. Their 622mbit/s refers to their SingaporeOne connection and NOT their total pipe. So you will get blazing speeds no doubt locally, but not necessarily overseas. From experience, most host can do around 20kb/s to US. At the same time, some have started to limit the amount of overseas bandwidth you can use as it cost them more and is more scarce.

Try getting a unmanaged server. It's the only thing to be sure, if your BBS is a heavily used thing.

What's an unmanaged server?

If I want to look for toll free support, I guess US web hosts are out, since I am in Singapore.

unmanaged server means you get nothing except a box, preinstalled with the OS of your choice, and the internet connection. You must administer the server yourself.

Wow, sounds a bit too much for someone who's not experienced in this kind of stuff.

yes absolutely. unmanaged servers are not for the faint hearted i.e. those with zero experience in it. You are better off getting a managed server. But it comes with a cost of course.

Has anyone heard of zosee.com?
    Almost considered them until my friend told me there's no such thing as unlimited web space and bandwidth as there's a limit to the harddisk size in a server.

yes... don't consider unlimited webspace and bandwidth. It's not possible. Every business has cost and need to cover cost to make money. Either the service or the reliability or the speeds will be so bad, or they won't be around for long. It's simple logic. As a business, you need to make money to recover your cost. How can you survive if you keep losing money?

Added: checked out zosee.com. They aren't cheap. Their trick is to limit the diskspace I guess. That's another common way to restrict or to lower the amount of bandwidth you can use.

I know there's a lot of bad stuff rumours spreading about Switchfusion, but what do you think?

Max MySQL Connections, Bandwidth, Gzip, connectivity.

Seems I might be considering a US web host rather than a local one 'cos some of the others who I'm setting up the site with are scared it'd be too slow for those overseas.

So far considering lunarpages, powweb, and poznet. Any comments?

I use Invisionboard with php/mysql. Look for a host with cpanel and phpmyadmin - they are essential in managing your database and also viewing PM's (if necessary). Also make sure that the host supports mail functions - some free hosts allow forums but cripple them with no mail functions (cannot email members from the board).
    You may want to consider vendor hosting (ie www.ipshosting.com for Invisionboard)- they are more likely understand forum related problems and give good forum support.

The 3 web hosts I mentioned all support Invision (I've mailed them to ask already), but only Lunarpages and PozNet have Cpanel. PowWeb uses it's own in-house developed control panel.

No comments on these 3 companies?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12