View Poll Results: Download or stream mp3?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Download

3 37.50%
  • Stream

5 62.50%
  • Neither

0 0%

Question Download or streaming??

So... from a server/host point of view, should I use download or streaming media to make my mp3-songs available? They are perfectly legal recordings of my own voice with my computer playing the instruments and are low quality versions of my wav-files.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard
      0 Not allowed!

Downloads are less resource intensive then streaming media. So I would go with the download option rather thenthe streaming media option. I will dig up the site that list the pros and cons of each.
    Adam Heavens
    Server Centre Limited (www.servercentre.net)
    Exchange 2007 Hosting, Windows/Linux Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Looking forward to the site! It will really help me decide.
      0 Not allowed!

If you want to sell them later and prevent illegal copying, streaming might be the best route (as a sample track before purchasing).
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct
      0 Not allowed!

That's kind of what I had in mind, but after reading here about server-loads and so on I wanted to ask how hosts feel about it.
      0 Not allowed!

Offer both.
    Colin
      0 Not allowed!

Offer both, some people woul like to save locally for viewing later. A streaming only option doesnt allow that. I cant stand it when I cant save something locally. I hate having to watch movies in a really small frame in a browser, like CNN used ot have.
      0 Not allowed!

Good idea Acronym BOY and Dogma. I've seen that at mp3.com. Should I then offer different qualities, or just the same for streaming and download?
      0 Not allowed!

I was just about to suggest using different qualities for streaming, i.e. less quality
      0 Not allowed!

OK, better quality for downloading, less for streaming. Any specific settings? Should I zip the download version to make it smaller and still have good quality?
      0 Not allowed!

Id probably have two qualitites for streaming, one which is lossless (or as close to lossless as you can come being MP3 by nature is lossy) for broadband users who want the full quality and one for 56k users, a 33.6 stream or something like that.

As for downloads, offer the MP3 at either 128bit mono or 64k stereo (if its just you singing and the computer synthing, stereo would probably be overkill). Offer a 256bit MP# in stereo for broadband users and than on top of it, offer a Monkey's Audio as well so users can get a true copy as well.
      0 Not allowed!

You're right about stereo being overkill, but I'll do that in the convertion, because the wave files are stereo. The mono is better if it's converted from stereo first.

What do you mean "Monkey's Audion"?
      0 Not allowed!

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

Monkey’s Audio is a fast and easy way to compress digital music. Unlike traditional methods such as mp3, ogg, or lqt that permanently discard quality to save space, Monkey’s Audio only makes perfect, bit-for-bit copies of your music. That means it always sounds perfect – exactly the same as the original. Even though the sound is perfect, it still saves a lot of space. (think of it as a beefed-up Winzip™ for your music) The other great thing is that you can always decompress your Monkey's Audio files back to the exact, original files. That way, you'll never have to recopy your CD collection to switch formats, and you'll always be able to recreate the original music CD if something ever happens to yours.
    Perfect sound – absolutely no quality loss, meaning it sounds perfect and decompresses perfect (it's lossless!)

Free – Monkey’s Audio is completely free! (unlike mp3)

Freely available source code, simple SDK and non-restrictive licensing - other developers can easily use Monkey's Audio in their own programs -- and there are no evil restrictive licensing agreements (again, unlike MP3)
    For a basic how it works, head here:

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/theory.html

And to compare efficiencies and compression head here:

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/comparison.html

Monkey's audio is a much superior format than other lossless compressors. Why epople like lossy audio is beyond me. But everyone seems to like the MP3 thing so go figure.

As for zipping already compressed audio, you wont save much at all. The audio is already compressed. Its sort of like adding a zip file into a zip file. You wont gain anything.
      0 Not allowed!

I have my band's audio in download and streaming both, and I have done both with 96k/sec, works out well for me so far.

Water On Electricity
      0 Not allowed!

OK, I'll check out Monkey's Audio. I didn't know about it, if I did I would alreaddy have used it. It sounds perfect.
      0 Not allowed!