whm/cpanel and overselling space

What does everyone do about their packages? Im just wondering. I see alot of people asking for the 500mb/5gb packages alot on the other offers and web hosting forum here.

If I get 3gb/30gb reseller solution does that mean I can only have 6 500mb packages sold on that account? Thats not much profit... I know on my current reseller solution I can create a 10mb plan and then use WHM to do a quota modification and then my total space left only shows the 10mb missing.

I know not everyone is going to use their space/bw, but is this a common practice and if so then on a 3gb/30gb how many you think I can host on there before having to upgrade? I know that depends alot on who im hosting, im just looking for some avg figures...

You can oversell but make sure you offer what you can provide and don't assume that your customers will not use up their allocated space/bandwidth. Always have backup storage/transfer available. WHM doesn't deduct your used space/Bwdth, instead it counts up so you can split your 3GB/30GB into 10 500MB packaged without mofifying your quota.
    AceWebHosting.Com
    Cheap Web Hosting - Multiple Domain Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Virtual Private Server

One question:

How do you guys calculate how many accounts you can have (oversell)?

Example: 3 GB HD and 30 GB Bandwidth....

How many accounts can you oversell with this?

Hope someone can explain this to me.

Thanks,

Originally posted by rasilva
    One question:

How do you guys calculate how many accounts you can have (oversell)?

Example: 3 GB HD and 30 GB Bandwidth....

How many accounts can you oversell with this?

Hope someone can explain this to me.

Thanks,
    Well, there is no real formula for this. You would calculate it based on a few variables-hardware quality (how fast your host's server can run and the load it can handle), your plan prices, and how much your host oversells (if you know that). You can oversell as little and as much as you want. Usually overselling less is better, but your prices will be higher.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

cpanel/whm wont let you over sell, well at least when i use it it wont, which i have found to be a bit of a problem as it is costing me more to add accounts when i have space sitting there not being used.

Originally posted by tazd9t9
    cpanel/whm wont let you over sell, well at least when i use it it wont, which i have found to be a bit of a problem as it is costing me more to add accounts when i have space sitting there not being used.
    Depends on how the host sets it up, they ca set it up to allow you all the oversell you want or to limit you to your allocated space and transfer only.

Reseller overselling can sprial a host out of control very easy if it is not kept in check. If you let 20 resellers and all oversell as much as they want and the host oversells, the server can become way over loaded in a hurry, then no one is happy.

The average calculation from 2 year our company expirience is 1 space to 1-1,5 of traffic (if not mp3 or download project.) But it's the average figures.
    Last edited by Chicken; 10-25-2002 at 02:50 PM.

There is no real way to calculate how much you should oversell (unless dictated by your host).

What I suggest to my resellers is to take several amounts (excel would help this) (1X,2X,etc) and see how much total disk space and BW you would use at this amount, then also calculate your costs at each amount if everyone used all their allotted amount, counting your overcharges imposed by your host. Then see how much you are comfortable with gambling on. Not overselling is probably too conservative IMHO. Too much depends on how fast your clients grow and what kind of sites they have.

As long as you can make it available to your customers from your host, there is nothing wrong with overselling. Just may cost you big time if you don't calculate right.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival