Thread: Sub GHz servers

Sub GHz servers

You know, I've been wondering. Is there still a market for sub Ghz servers? say 500Mhz P3s and such? You can buy 2U 500Mhz servers for like $200 now, and I keep thinking get 10 of those and sell them for $60 a month with 100GBs of bandwidth for DNS and/or mail, maybe image bank servers.

I know several companies have offered 900 and 1Ghz systems for $50 to $75 a month, but I've also noticed there are a ton of cheesed off people who want them but they sell out too damned fast.

Anyone see a demand for this possibly?
    Jason Murdock

yeah theres certainly demand. not sure id host on one. im certain it would be fast enough to push 70-100 gb of average content. the problem being image, these days you have to be seen to be having the fastest kit etc. id still have them for test boxes and special clients etc.
    --
    Rich

well they were be awesome mail servers, dns, or hey even for a personal site if they are near virtual server pricing it would be a nice box for some people to get for thier personal site(s)

just make sure they have a decent amount of ram rams cheap enough to add these days, and 128 mb > 512 would make a great difference.
    --
    Rich

over the past year, i and a handful of others i've seen have been asking the same questions. for what i do, i don't really need super fast processing. i think there is a good market out there for such a model.

say:

> PIII 500+
    > 512mb ram (at least)
    > 10 - 20+gb hdd
    > 100gb+ of quality bandwidth (not just single cogent)
    > some sort of CP (simplecp or whatever)

$50 - $70/ month or something?

that would be great and in fact something i've been looking for for awhile now.

Anyone mind telling me where to get those servers for $200?
    Eric

Originally posted by Ericwenlong
    Anyone mind telling me where to get those servers for $200?
    ebay or maybe from other server colo places wanting to get rid of thier old hardware.

Zac

You'd be supprised where you can get 500 to 800Mhz systems from. I usually just end up putting them together myself. 2U case for $145; motherboard, processor, RAM, 20GB IDE HD for usually $65 to $80, depending.

Also living in the Washington DC area there are a lot of DotBombs still going to auction and such, so you can pick up 4U P2 400s for $130 to $220 each (I sure as heck wouldn't pay anymore then that).
    Jason Murdock

Yes, I will buy one-two for secondary DNS and mail server.
    Unfortunately, life does not come with documentation.

I would probably be interested in one if I could get a minimum of several hundred gigs/month of bandwidth with it. For what I have in mind for it it would need all that bandwidth, and probably more

Those types of servers would be great for development. I would love it. Especially projects that you want seperated from each other. A couple boxes for stuff like that would be great! Even with like 10-50GB of bandwidth.
    Last edited by MDesigner; 10-22-2002 at 08:19 PM.

IMHO there are plenty of things these servers would be useful for. Just a couple:

Nameservers
    Mail servers
    Secure servers (for when your site/data shouldn't be on a shared server)
    Moderate needs dedicated (too big for a shared account).
    Etc. ...and of course... as a dedicated server!

A PIII 500 is still a decent machine. It might not be the fastest.

Consumer OT remark:
    For example grandma doesn't need the P4 - 2 Gigahertz+ to type email on, yet I see these people buying them in the stores all the time. I laugh when they ask, "Will this one do?" for a $2,500 machine. The $ale$man replies, "Ohhh yes!"
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

When you think of only a few years ago, a 500mhz server used to be pretty top of the line. In those years websites themselves haven't changed very much for the most part - unless you attract a lot of forum users or people with dynamic sites. In general websites tend to still be a bit of html with some images.

I think we sometimes get a little over excited by the facts and figures of what a server does rather than it's needs and usage.

A 500mhz server will still hold a few hundred small sites quite easily and never miss a beat - just keep an eye on the load. A bargain price for such a server would prove quite effective. Actually at the end of the day, loading 100 sites across 4 servers like that would be a better idea than 400 sites on a single, more powerful server. If one of those smaller ones went down 3/4 of your customer base would still be online while you got it back up again.

Alternate uses are good too of course. A dedicated backup server is another handy use. It's a nice selling point when you can say your backups are safe even in the face of the server their website is on bursts into flames in the rack taking the whole box with it

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by Chicken
    Consumer OT remark:
    For example grandma doesn't need the P4 - 2 Gigahertz+ to type email on, yet I see these people buying them in the stores all the time. I laugh when they ask, "Will this one do?" for a $2,500 machine. The $ale$man replies, "Ohhh yes!"
    Uneducated consumers are every salesmen's dream, cars, computers, appliances, you name it.

Its sad. Woudl someone buy any otehr $2000 piece of equipment without having a clue how to operate it, the basics of how it works, or what they can use it for? No, but if its a computer they throw a few grand at it, than get all pisssed off when they dont have a clue.

Do you buy a car before learning to drive?

</rant>

Say, did you ever get to edit that video?

I'll be the first to sign up -- and I'll take all 10. Where on earth do you get 100GB of decent bandwidth per month for under $60?

If it came with a 40 or 60 GB hard drive, I would like one just to do backups of my main server.
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

Originally posted by Acronym BOY
    Say, did you ever get to edit that video?
    Agree on all the other points, and no, I wouldn't drop 2 grand on something I didn't have a clue about. Amazing that people do.

OT: About quote.. errr.. what video???
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I guess it's a simple case of find the market... which I have. Check out http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=83456 for the offers.
    Jason Murdock