Hybrid View

Best state for a LLC

Im interested in starting my company as an llc but living in the state of california, it seems like they are trying to deter small start up business' from chosing this route. The reason i say this is that there is a 800 minimum tax per year i believe for all llc's in california. I think your first year also has to be paid up front. I am looking for another alternative so i wont have to pay this 800 tax that i believe most states dont have. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best state to setup a LLC? Has anyone used an online company before to incorporate or setup an LLC? What company did you use and how was the experience? I know that i should most likely talk to a lawyer but i would like to see what some of the business owners in here have done in the past, thanks.

Neveda or Arizona make great states for LLC's or Inc's...
    Multiple Image Corporation - http://www.multipleimage.com
    Diverse Solutions for Diverse Companies.
    Virtual, Dedicated & Colocated Hosting.

If you are hell bent against an LLC in CA then Delaware would be your best option, however, it is a lot easier if it is in your home state as there are other issues involved. You would have to file as a foreign corporation in CA, as well as file a "doing business as"(I believe) plus you STILL may have to pay them some taxes based on the percentage of your business done in CA. There are a lot of issues involved, definitely speak to a good corporate account as well as a lawyer, this will cost you some money but it is very important.

Best of luck

Nevada or Delaware... make sure you speak to lawyer versed in this first.

thanks for the info guys, ill definitely talk to a lawyer about this. I had a question though, why do you guys recommend deleware and nevada? What is it about those two states that make them good states to establish a llc.

I can't speak about Nevada but Delaware is the most corporate friendly state in the country, something like 50% of businesses are incorporated there (of Fortune 500 companies that is)

state income tax (or lack thereof) and they allow individuals as corporations, and don't have to be a local in most cases. Restrictions are more 'relaxed' as far as submitting minutes, etc.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

Originally posted by iKHost
    I can't speak about Nevada but Delaware is the most corporate friendly state in the country, something like 50% of businesses are incorporated there (of Fortune 500 companies that is)
    Right, but the things that bring them there are legislative and judicial friendliness towards investor-owned corporations and their shareholders -- specific advantages that wouldn't be of benefit to a small LLC. Actually, Nevada and Wyoming are probably better homes for a small company. But you're absolutely right that in almost every case such a small company would be better off filing in the owners' home state.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.