new at this - is this a good deal?

A local ISP is offering Wireless T1, for full T1 speeds at only $500 a month. They install a receiver on your end. Don't have to go through the phone company, works fine even in thunder storms. Plus they are the go-to people for support.

Looked up some servers on Dell and configured this server:

Xeon 1.8GHz
    1GB DDR ram
    Four 18GB, 15k RPM, Ultra 160 SCSI drives
    Battery backed cache 2 internal channel embedded RAID controller
    Red Hat Linux installed
    Dual on-board NICs
    configured for raid 1+0
    3year Support, 4 hour onsite & software support
    Redundant 500 watt power supply
    second Gigabit NIC

for $6,772

Of course I could build my own, but 4 hour onsite hardware support is very good - plus I'm not a linux guru so the software support is good too

So I get this server for $7000, a good UPS for $1000, setup fee for wireless T1 is under $1000

Initial cost $9000 plus $500 per month for full T1 bandwidth.

What do you think?

Thinking of hosting from home? Colocating your server with a reputable company would be considerably cheaper would it not?

Even a nice dedicated would save you a ton of money - plus the added benefit of a much faster multiple connected enviornment.

Originally posted by Fazel3
    Thinking of hosting from home? Colocating your server with a reputable company would be considerably cheaper would it not?
    I did check out a Co-location provider down the street from us

but being in the ISP support business myself once, I can tell that their support is going to suck if I go with them

Well for one thing, with hosting prices hitting rock bottom ($.99p/y for 10GBp/m) how would you feel about having to put extra costs of lines, air-conditioning, security (against theft, natural disasters) etc and so on. In my opinion, it would be best to get a dedicated server. Unless of course you had a killer idea no-one has thought of yet and a sound business plan.

Originally posted by Fazel3
    Well for one thing, with hosting prices hitting rock bottom ($.99p/y for 10GBp/m) how would you feel about having to put extra costs of lines, air-conditioning, security (against theft, natural disasters) etc and so on. In my opinion, it would be best to get a dedicated server. Unless of course you had a killer idea no-one has thought of yet and a sound business plan.
    Where is there a hosting plan for 99 cents per year??? Show me! Unless it's cyberwings or similar then nevermind.

Web Hosting Request Forums...

Hold your nose tight and plunge. If you're mentally scarred for life don't blame me! Seriously the offers there, are C-R-A-Z-Y! We haven't reached $.99 a year yet.... but I'm sure we will. One thread got down to $2.00. After paypal sucks it's portion of that, what's left it's even enough to get a sandwich let alone pay the electricity bill