Arrow Designer Opinions Needed

I am considering starting a template site. Before development
    I wanted to get the opinions and ideas of the designers.
    What features would you like?

Well, although this is a good idea, it's really not something that is targeted to "designers," as designers should really have no use for templates. Otherwise, they would not be designers.

However, the only advice that I would be able to offer, that would give you the most success is, don't offer just any templates. Make sure they are high end templates, if you want people to buy them.
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

I would target the end user looking to buy a template for their site. I was wondering what designers wouls like to see as far fees, options, exclusive rights, etc.

I have seen a few post about template sites in which the developer is offering to split fees. What would work best for the attracting designers.

Hi:

I would target the end user looking to buy a template for their site. I was wondering what designers wouls like to see as far fees, options, exclusive rights, etc.

I have seen a few post about template sites in which the developer is offering to split fees. What would work best for the attracting designers.

I'd say that the number one concern for a designer is getting paid. I have heard a few stories of templates selling, but designers not being compensated. So, I suppose that a sales tracking system that can be accessed by each designer would be key to any site that does not design their templates in house.

James

"God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, so that whosoever believed in him would not perish, but have everlasting life."

yes.....good idea. That is a very valid point. Designers too often do not get compensated for their work, and at times, there is no evidence of the sell.

So, a sales tracking system would be a wonderful idea.
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

Yes a sales tracking is a good idea, the designers should feel secure in the relationship with the site. How about opinions on fees/percentages? Also how many times should a template be sold. The more information I have, the better the site can be built.

-maxhest I already have hosting setup for the site, thanks for the kind offer

i would agree with the tracking system, that would certianly make me feel better.

as a client i would feel better if each layout was sold only once, but as a designer i would obviously like the layout to sit there forever. so it's really a matter of catering to your clients. i would reccomend no more than 2 or 3 times.

fees/percentages depends on how you run the site really. i have seen sales where all profit is split evenly, and some where each designer gets paid for what they sell. there are advantages to both. i don't think that i would prefer one over the other. again it depends on how many people you have designing and so on.

I think there should be two prices per template.

Let's say the template is $50 and is new. If someone wants to buy it...say there is a "rights fee" in which they have to pay an extra $50 for exclusive rights to the template in which nobody else can buy it.

If they choose to just buy it at the normal price, it can be sold again and again. Of course if someone buys it at regular price, the template can no longer be sold as a "unique" template...

Is this clear? I feel like I'm not making sense.

I also think that as the owner of the site, a 10%-15% fee would be acceptable. If the template sells for $100...you retain $15. If the buyer pays for "rights fee" (doubles price)...you would receive $30 (of the $200 price tag).

If you need me to clarify any of this...just ask, I only had 3 hours of sleep last night

Here are the current ideas:

1) Yes the site would be free for the designers to post.

2) Instead of splitting sales as some sites, a commission/percentage would be charged to cover hosting/marketing cost

3) A sales tracking system so each designer can track sales for their own designs and payment

4) A range of styles and pricing. Also exclusive and non-exclusive templates

Any other ideas?

would you let the designer sell his/her template on more than one template selling site?

I guess selling a template on other sites would depend on how exclusive that emplate is.

If selling the template multiple times is not a problem that would be fine.

If the template were to be regulated, say sold only 3-5 times it would be hard to control.

In that case the template should be listed on one site.

I am still working out the finer details and would like to continue hearing everyone's ideas.

I have a few new questions:

1) As a designer do you want to provide a psd or just html files?

2) If your provide psd, would you want to hold them until a purchase has cleared and then transfer to the buyer?

3) How would most designers like payment?

Work has started on the coding now including sales tracking.

Any other ideas let me know.

i think PayPal and other such processors seem to be favorable to Designers cuz its fast and not fussy and you get the cash. as a designer id say i would rather sell the template to the site and be done with it however there is more cash to be made selling it over and over so i think id feel safer transfering to the buyer myself but it would be easyer to have it automated so when a client has finsihed ordering a template its sent in a zip file via e-mail
    FastRack Hosting - HTTP://WWW.FASTRACK-HOST.COM
    [email protected]

Originally posted by Rox Off
    I have a few new questions:

1) As a designer do you want to provide a psd or just html files?
    Not necessarily a psd file (they're much too big and they can only be viewed in Photoshop), but a jpg/gif image of the template's screen capture.

2) If your provide psd, would you want to hold them until a purchase has cleared and then transfer to the buyer?
    I would say only the image file, and then once the purchaser downloads the template for usage, he/she will get all the HTML and graphics needed for the site.

3) How would most designers like payment?
    I would chose PayPal, too. Like Halo Service said, a lot of us use it because of its speed and ease.

Work has started on the coding now including sales tracking.

Any other ideas let me know.
    Excellent! I can't wait to see it. My only other request is that there is an easy upload option for designers; we can just log in, upload all necessary template files, and have them available online to purchase immediately.

I will try to provide as many ways to pay designers as possible. Paypal will probably be the first method used.

I am looking at an auction type of interface(but no an auction site). I use the example of ebay. The designer logins upload a screenshot, description/notes, and price(?) Then you would be able to track sells possible how many views each template has had.

Keep the ideas coming.

The question has come up on how to best handle setting a standard of quality for the designs. I was thinking of having the designers view a screenshot before the public. THen having the designers take a anonymous poll on the templates to determine quality and pricing.

Any thoughts on this.

I am just about ready to set up the test site for templates. I am thinking it would be a good idea to set some guidelines as what is expected for the templates.

PSD or PNG?
    Should a set of standard layers be set?
    What guidelines should be required for layer decsriptions?
    HTML files are expected, but what about having seperate style sheets?
    Should there be standards for the style sheets?
    Should font files be included?
    Should a tect instruction file be included?

let's have your opinion

Development of the site is weel under way. Also ironing the last of the legal/tax issues.

If you are interested in selling templates are just want more information here is a link to the mailing list.

The Template Center Mailing List
    Last edited by Odd Fact; 12-07-2002 at 12:01 AM.

Hi!
    I have template for sale. Some details please look at the page:

http://www.alba-foodmaster.com/webmaster/forsale5.html

Regards.
    Serge