complete newbie question

im going to be getting a domain name and a host to go along with it. i just have a few questions regarding the right process in going about it. id just like some feedback whether or not i am understanding what to do.

1) register a domain name (with godaddy.com or some other)
    2) find a host (myriad of them out there)
    --this is where my lack of experience comes in--
    3) do i configure the domain name (i.e. godaddy.com) to link to the nameserver of the host?

how do i make these two work in conjuction, and what is "transferring" domain names. can i find a host, then register a domain name? what are the requirements of a host to allow it to work with a domain name.

sorry for my complete ignorance.

You are completely on the right track!

A host that has a minimum of 10MB of space, 1 Email Account, and 500MB of bandwidth should work out great for a personal site and single domain name.

Good luck. If you have any questions, let me know. I know of some good sites with reviews, etc..

What you want to do is go register your domain name, I suggest GoDaddy as they have a nice control panel setup. Then go find the host you want to use, When you sign up you will get a welcome email from them which usually has there nameserver info. Then you go back to GoDaddy and "Select Nameservers" from your control panel. It is typically ns1.hostname.com and ns2.hostname.com. Then after about 24-48 hours your domain name will "settle" across the internet and you will be able to view your site via www.yourdomain.com and upload your file etc and from there you should be all set. Hope this helps.

No need to appologise...

That's what this community is here for.

If you are going to register a domain or choose a host you can do it in either order.

I would suggest you find your host first. That way you know where your domian name is going to be pointing. (Or where you "need to transfer it to.")

After you register your your hosting account. Go to your domain name provider and ask them to transfer or point your account to your new host. It can take 24-48 hrs to resolve (Point) to your new host.

That's all there is to it.

P.S. if you have a domain name with a control panel you can transfer and point your domain name yourself, some companies allow you to do this.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Chicken; 10-20-2002 at 04:43 AM.

Re: No need to appologise...

Originally posted by sphere2
    That's what this community is here for.

If you are going to register a domain or choose a host you can do it in either order.

I would suggest you find your host first. That way you know where your domian name is going to be pointing. (Or where you "need to transfer it to.")

After you register your your hosting account. Go to your domain name provider and ask them to transfer or point your account to your new host. It can take 24-48 hrs to resolve (Point) to your new host.

That's all there is to it.

P.S. if you have a domain name with a control panel you can transfer and point your domain name yourself, some companies allow you to do this.

Hope that helps.

Thanks again.

Re: Re: No need to appologise...

Originally posted by sinthetiq
    Thanks, that clears up a bit of confusion. "transferring" would mean redirecting the nameservers (if you changed hosts)? Am i understanding that right? If so, why do places charge for that?

Thanks again.
    When you get a domain, usualy, there are defult name servers (i.e park.godaddy.com) so you just change them to your host's name servers

Re: Re: No need to appologise...

Originally posted by sinthetiq
    Thanks, that clears up a bit of confusion. "transferring" would mean redirecting the nameservers (if you changed hosts)? Am i understanding that right? If so, why do places charge for that?

Thanks again.
    I have no idea why someone would charge you for that. It takes 2 seconds to do from a control panel. Guess some companies just charge for everything, or it decourages people changing over ever few days for fun. (Who knows.)

But to answer your question, yes you understood that correctly.

I suggest you go with a company that lets you change your domain name. I have never worked with godaddy, so I don't know if they let you do it or if you have to ask them.

I know that enom let's you do it, and they have a great reseller control panel.

But any questions you have, just post them here, someone eventually gets around to answering them.
    Last edited by Chicken; 10-20-2002 at 04:41 AM.

Let me take a shot at this one. there are 2 parts to this puzzle.
    First one is your domain. This link is the list of available Registrar's http://www.internic.com/alpha.html
    They are the companies who register Domains and hold them for you, You set your Nameservers with them to point to your host.
    Now You will find many host that also offer Domain name registration, has its plus & minus. Which they end up doing through of of those listed. This is where it can get messy and why most will tell you to get your Domain from a registrar. Because some NOT all hosts feel if they reg it for you, they make themselves the owner and will give you a hard time if you want to leave. As for Registrar's I personally use Enom, but have heard all postive comments from GoDaddy users.
    The next part is your host, read read & read somemore, When you find one cross your fingers, Truthfully its like playing Craps. Hopefully you will get lucky Now when you tell your new host your Domain he will setup your package. and tell you the nameservers to use. You go back to your Domain registrar and in there control panel. set your nameservers up. 24-48hrs you should be good to go.
    Now the Transferring part with cost you referred to is if you were to want to change Registrars, for ex. from Enom to GoDaddy, they charge. You can change host anytime you want to. just pick a new one go back and change nameservres to reflect where you are going now. Just a recommendation go month to month with your host, trust me on this one, the savings aren't worth the headaches. Hopefully your not anymore confused than you were. take care and good luck Renegade

the word transfer when used with domains can mean multiple things and can be confusing to new comers:

transferring domain registrars means that you are switching to another place that register's domain names (ie, from Network Solutions to GoDaddy). this usually costs $8-11 for a standard domain and also gives you an additional year to the domain.

transferring domain registrants means you are giving someone else ownership and control of the domain this is usually free if you are staying within the same registrar.

the 3rd is simply transferring nameservers. this should cost nothing and means that you are changing nameservers to point to another host. if you are being charged for this, transfer registrars immediately (they're stealing your money)

edit: i type reaally slow at 1AM....i'm blaming it on Samuel's PM....

renegade posted the same thing in different words
    Last edited by Akash; 10-20-2002 at 02:06 AM.

Renagade good explaination.

sinthetiq-Sorry if I confused you before if you are changing domain name registers there is a charge, because that's like changing your hosting company or like changing your isp.

But if you were refering to a charge for changing where your domain name points (Transfer) then what I originally posted was correct

Hope this does not leave you too confused.
    Last edited by Chicken; 10-20-2002 at 04:41 AM.