* WOW! 6 servers in 1U!

Yeah, you can get up to 24 blades(servers) in 3U case These are server blades, cost quite a lot more and are limited to specifications but hell they save you colo space, and most offer provisioning, remote reboot and remote console .........

Expect the P4 version from RLX first quarter of 2003.
    Last edited by cabalstudios; 10-19-2002 at 11:19 PM.
    Coreix™ | your solution™ www.coreix.net - 08000226734 - ISO27001 Certified
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas

They're cool and all...but I don't see them saving enough colo space to be worth dropping that amount of dough on...maybe I'm wrong

that wouldn't be effective heat wise...those suckers togethor get hot im sure!
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Blade servers has been out long before anyone ever heard of RLX.

I wouldn't buy any server from a company that states they can install Linux 7.3 OS.

I am anxious for the new dell blade.... 6 blades in 3u.... with dells quality....

http://www.dell.com/us/en/esg/topics...dge_1655mc.htm

Maybe companys like Super micro will make blade boards. I am sure they will end up cheaper than dell, IBM, Compaq or RXL.

Would be cool if you can choose cpu speed and add ram to the blade board and just add the blade to the main board.

$10k? What's the point? I'd like to see how that's gonna save you any money in the end even if your coloing in HE.net or NAC or any other decent DC. Most people spend money on B/W (which you might save cause your processors keep overheating), not on actual Rackspace.

And Linux 7.3 OS? RIIIIIIGHT.

The Dell solution ought to be pretty incredible. Each blade is a scaled down 1650 with dual processor, 2 SCSI drives (RAID 0 or 1), ERA/O, and the works.

Incredible systems. The ERA/O stuff is incredible.
    <!-- boo! -->

Correct, wont save you money if your buying them in small time if your talking 200 servers all with remote APC and remote console, your sure bet to get your investment back in 3 months plus a lot of extra revenues monthly depending on your pricing scheme...

I’ve seen RLX install 24 blades and configure the BIOS's on all servers in less than 10 minutes.... Now rack mount 24 1U servers you’re firstly going to need 2 humans and then having to manually edit the BIOS etc is sure going to take some time....

They claim to have 4 very powerful fans inside the chassis, from the systems I’ve tested all the CPU temps were in the 38(degrees) range..... (The control tower, offers some very nice statistics for each blade)

Not to mention that you are also saving on switches, apc reboot, remote console per server. Each chassis which can hold up to 24 servers has 4 gigabit network cards between them ….

Since the remote console lets you do all the hands free admin work from anywhere in the world, on site 24/7 techs “could/would” not be needed, it’s just some things that can be taken into consideration, saving again with having them on-call.

Now when were talking 200 servers and a monthly operation, you can see where the saving starts to come in, you just need to expand your mind to see what the next level offers.....

Just my 2 cents!
    Coreix™ | your solution™ www.coreix.net - 08000226734 - ISO27001 Certified
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas

Originally posted by DizixCom
    The Dell solution ought to be pretty incredible. Each blade is a scaled down 1650 with dual processor, 2 SCSI drives (RAID 0 or 1), ERA/O, and the works.

Incredible systems. The ERA/O stuff is incredible.
    and of course Dizix will colo one with me? come on scott.... you know the level of service you will get from me! :-p

Goose:

You can get crappy 1U cases for less than $150 with PS. If you want quality, however...
    I thank my Lord for all His wonderful blessings.

Originally posted by haxorboi

and of course Dizix will colo one with me? come on scott.... you know the level of service you will get from me! :-p
    Hah, I'll not be buying these any time soon. Too much dough for now. My next likely candidates are the PowerEdge 2650's, so 2U per server. I need a couple of machines with pure power, and the 2650's have the ERA/O built in as well so all is good. Who needs an APC MasterSwitch when you can remotely control your server completely from remote?

We'll talk offline about this place you're colocating in now as well.
    <!-- boo! -->

Originally posted by interactive
    that wouldn't be effective heat wise...those suckers togethor get hot im sure!
    Yeah, what about ventilation??
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Call me nerdy, but I'd love to buy one of those things just to say I HAVE one....
    "Last year, some resourceful software enthusiasts cracked Sony Music's proprietary technology simply by scribbling around the edges of the disc with a Magic Marker pen, thus enabling playback on any device." - news.com

Blade server arrays are just not cost effective on the low end. Rack space is cheaper.

The savings incurred from using blade servers isn't limited to rack space, but also in management and the buzz-phrase of the last few years: Total Cost of Ownership.
    <!-- boo! -->

Originally posted by haxorboi
    I am anxious for the new dell blade.... 6 blades in 3u.... with dells quality....

http://www.dell.com/us/en/esg/topics...dge_1655mc.htm
    argonblue.com | sales | 800.710.8004
    LA Grand Avenue, Rancho Cordova, cages, racks and power plus HE Fremont cabinets available!

And if the chassis craps out, down goes 6 servers...

You'll notice that all mechanical parts have redundant backups.

- Power supply
    - Cooling system
    - SCSI RAID-1 if you choose

Not much left really. I'm not sure that there has ever been a case where a chasis imploded on itself, but I'm sure more than one has been crushed while having Humvee exercises in the data center. Maybe not though.
    <!-- boo! -->

Look at the plus side, if your nutty business partner in an online insurance policy service web application goes crazy, he only has to throw one piece of equipment into the parking lot to ruin your life!
    Originally posted by hostpath.com
    And if the chassis craps out, down goes 6 servers...
    argonblue.com | sales | 800.710.8004
    LA Grand Avenue, Rancho Cordova, cages, racks and power plus HE Fremont cabinets available!

Idgaf:

Quite true.

Blade server arrays are just not cost effective on the low end. Rack space is cheaper.
    Right!
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"