Linux Service Monitoring Application

Hello,

Does anyone know of an open source/freeware linux service monitoring application? I want to be able to monitor pop3, imap, http, mysql etc from some form of an application that can alert me if downtime occurs....

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Nagios! It is very nice

You can find it at sourceforge
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

Yep, nagios rocks. www.nagios.org.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/

Not only will it monitor and email you if something goes down, it will automatically start it!
    I am now happily selling Natural Herbal Hair Oil - happy to be so far removed from technology!

I've heard great reviews about Nagios and there are some articles about it on www.onlamp.com

An alternative would be SIM which you can get at www.r-fx.net/sim.php

It will restart downed services

Nagios looks good, but complex to install, do u any one of you guys who use this can submit and How-To on this Nagios.

Regards/-

There is alot of documentation with it, read the resources on their site

Hey oc3. The install is actually pretty simple. Just follow the install. It is the configuration files that is where you will spend your time. The examples are quite good though. I also recommend that you join the mailing list if you decide to use it.

I recnetly install nagios it was pretty easy. the onlamp article made it much easier.

my only problems really came from my redhat 8.0 box having apache 2.0 I think. their mail list was helpful and friendly, no arrogant like some others.

I have to agree that the only tricky part is getting the config files setup. If you monitor a lot of servers/services, take some time and work on getting some good templates setup. It will save you a lot of time in the long run.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

So Could anybody give me a brief description of How it does it ? does it run on the server you want monitored? Or does it run on a remote server?

I read a bunch of faq's and a good portion of the manual and was uanble to ascertain solidly whethere this runs on the server you want monitored or whehter you can have it run on a remote server

It should run on a separate box. This allows you to see if the box is remotely reachable. This is important to be able to detect if the server is down due to a routing issue, server failure, etc and to be able to email/page you in the event of a failure. There is an extension that you can run on the monitored box called nrpe that allows you to extract more specific information such as server load, number of process, etc from the server.

Another simple but stable tool..

You could check out Big Brother at http://www.bb4.com.

I found the docs to be great for first-time users, and there are alot of modules for adding functionality later. It can run on the same box or different ones.

If you are going to use it non-commercially it won't cost you anything.