Need advice--> How much bandwidth do I need?

Hi there,

I want to start a community site with a portal script such as postnuke/phpnuke, and a forum such as phpBB or VBulletin. The site will focus on clubbing scene so there will be a lot of partypics, articles, CD reviews and so on..... I had the site focussing on the netherlands with only a forum and I had 50 members without doing much promotion.. so I expect at least 10 times as much members when I start the international version with a lot of promotion. The forum will continue to be very active.. I am sure of that.

Now I am looking for paid hosting... well I just want to know, how much traffic/bandwith do I need?? I know a forum (not mine) with only 30 very active members which used more than 1 gig of traffic each month.. but that is just a forum.. no portal...

Can anyone tell me how much I would need? I can't really tel how much my current forum used because it was hosted on free hosting with no webstats.

It really depends on if you allow avatars, attachments, etc. I run a few online communities. One used to use phpnuke, but have since switched it to phpBB. It has about 3000 or so members. I also alow avatars, and it does about 8-15 gigs a month in bandwidth, it really depends on the amount of traffic that given month so it can vary a lot.

It also requires about 75 megs of storage for the database and all the images.

On average, from the people that I host: 100 MB of Web space and 1000 MB of Data Transfer is enough. Some have 50 users at the same time.

If you only have 50-100 users on your site and don't have too many graphics, sure 1000MB/month might be enough. But the two forums I have both can push close to 20 gigs a month, and one site only has close to 800 members

I see, so to be on the safe side I gues somewhere around 3/4 gig should be enough for the start..

Thank you for your input.

Originally posted by x-copy
    I see, so to be on the safe side I gues somewhere around 3/4 gig should be enough for the start..

Thank you for your input.
    You can always start with 1/2 gigs and upgrade when you need it, no point wasting money on unused traffic.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

I have a vBulletin forum right now, almost 2000 members, I have about 30 people online at peak times, 10-15 other times. I have 84000 posts and allow signatures, attachments, avatars, etc. and we have a lot of graphics. I have GZIP enabled too. I am using about 300MB bandwidth everyday...
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>