registrar's hidden fees

Many registrars offer good prices for their registrations but before we can sign up to be a registered user/reseller we are required to have some sort of "deposit" with them.

I liked Tucows' offers but before we can sign up they require us to give them $250 like some sort of deposit. Other companies have this at $150 or so. Tucows didn't even display it on their site and we only learned about it when we signed up.

Does namecheap, pipeline or godaddy (wild west) require us to have these too? Is there an affordable registrar reseller account that does not have this extra cost?

It is not a cost, nor a deposit. It is prepurchasing a certain amount of domains. To put it another way, if you were getting a wholesale price on something, wouldn't you think you'd have to buy a few of them to get that price? Sure, and this is how it is done.

If your question is, "Where can I get the lowest priced single domain?" -well that's another thing.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

i think the question is
    Is there an affordable registrar reseller account that does not have this extra cost?
    Answer: If you choose to resell for an Enom ETP, you are required to prepay if you do not use their RegistryRocket Services. There is no minimum if you are not prepaying by credit card ($100 minimum applies for credit card top ups).

AFAIK, every other provider requires you to prepay...

Originally posted by akash

AFAIK, every other provider requires you to prepay...
    not all of them, there are some that are free and do the billing for you and mail you the difference, no cost to you whatsoever

IF they do the billing....

WWD has a $99 annual fee
    Complx Internet Services
    www.complx.net
    Hosting - Colocation - Domains - Dialup
    [email protected]

Tucows

>webmiester: Tucows didn't even display it on their site and we only learned about it when we signed up.

http://resellers.tucows.com/opensrs/faq/sales_faq#q5

http://resellers.tucows.com/opensrs/payment

http://resellers.tucows.com/opensrs/bizspecs

Just to name a few ...
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

I'm guessing webmiester missed it somehow. I personally didn't have trouble finding it, but he did, no biggie. Just look closely at the programs offered by the registrars, as usually the info is there as far as costs.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

Hey thanks nameslave. Yeah, I really did miss it. Chicken is right, Where so I get the lowest priced single domain?