Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation High-end virtual hosting

I need a high-end, rock-solid, reputable virtual hosting provider to host my 8+ domains (I don't have enough experience to manage a dedicated server myself, and I don't want to pay extra $200-400/mo for "management")

Can you recommend a reputable company that offers:
    - Excellent customer support
    - 99.99% uptime guarantee
    - Good clients-to-server ratio
    - High prices

I'm looking for something as high-end as RackSpace or Verio. I don't want to post technical requirements here, I just want to find some good companies that provides high-end virtual servers.

I am sure anyone can provide anything to you at high pricing!

I can give you 1 MB space, 1 gig transfer for $50 p/month

Still interested? I am!

BTW:- I am joking around.. not trying to sell anything.. having fun no flames thanks

The only one I can think of is www.mediatemple.net

As RackSpace don't do virtual hosting, I guess you are looking for a host that has their servers at RackSpace?
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

NexDog: yes, I know that RackSpace doesn't provide virtual servers, I just want to find a provider with RackSpace's level of quality. Do you know any reputable hosts that have their servers at RackSpace?

I have no idea.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

xenoborg: have you considered reseller accounts? It's just like shared yet you have more freedom and can host more domains etc. etc.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

N9ne, I'm a total newbie What is a reseller account? Can you recommend any good provider that offers them?

A reseller account is what a lot of shared hosting providers use. You have a webhostmanager and you can create accounts under it, ie. a client has the domain "domain.com", you create an account for him and use one of the packages you created [you can create packages] saying how much b/w, space, etc. he gets [must be within your limits of course], and they get their own control panel etc. too. So you can host many domain names, have separate control panels for them etc.

I currently use hostmatix.com, to start with I had a few problems with downtime but haven't had more than 10 minutes downtime for 2-3 weeks so I'm quite happy with them. There's many more resellers out there, I heard www.kualo.com is also good but I cannot tell you that from personal experience.

Originally posted by N9ne
    xenoborg: have you considered reseller accounts? It's just like shared yet you have more freedom and can host more domains etc. etc.
    I don't see what difference having a reseller account has to the provider/server reliability though?
    Chief brew-maker at several hosting brands since 2002.

FLXI | UK based, cPanel/WHM reseller hosting
    Pay-as-you-go billing, why pay for what you don't use?

It doesn't, however it's the package, and the fact you can host several domains etc.

12. Has anyone tried interland.com blueHALO shared hosting?

As I understand, they use a bunch of servers and some load balancers that distribute the traffic.

They say they have 99,99% uptime.

Are they really GOOD?

I also need high-end host and I'm not shure what to choose -
    shared or dedicated. I have no enough time to learn how to
    use unmanaged dedi .

I recommend taking a look at Ventures Online's bulk reseller plan. http://www.venturesonline.com
    Modest Mouse Talk

Thanks vipe, I've checked out VentureOnline's reseller plan. Looks good for me. Are their reseller accounts managed? That is, will their staff monitor ports, or reboot the server if it goes down? Or should I react to alerts myself?

I've also noticed that VO offers 'Virtual Private Servers'. Are they any good?

With reseller accounts: you don't have to do anything the host will take care of it all for you...

VPS are expensive last time I recall..

17. VentureOnline's reseller plan is good, but they don't allow adult content hosting that some of my sites have

Yes, Virtual Private Server will probably a better solution for you. You will gain a root control to your "server" at a fraction of a cost. And VO is quite a reputable company here too.
    Last edited by FHDave; 10-19-2002 at 01:00 PM.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

AlexAlexAlex, I'd recommend you to check out FlashHost.Com, they allow legal adult content and have reseller plans. I had an account with them a couple years ago (an adult site on a shared server), and their speed and support has been great. Nowever, I don't have any recent experience with them.

Yes N9ne, VPS are expensive, but I've checked the prices and found them acceptable for me.

FHDave, I think VPS are managed by hosting company's staff like reseller accounts (I mean reboots, monitoring etc) because a single server can contain multiple VPS (they share the hardware). Am I correct? And how many VPS can be / are usually located on a single box? (clients-to-server ratio)?

High-end virtual hosting could also mean "semi-dedicated" hosting. I used to use semi-dedicated hosting from JaguarPC a few months ago before I moved to a dedicated server.
    You pay $60 or $99 and have around 2gig web space and 30 gig bandwidth.
    The point in that plan is there were only two account on the server. (I used $99 one). So, I guess if you use $60 one, there would be around 5 ~ 10 accounts on a server.

I am not sure if they still provide the hosting though.
    Try, http://www.jaguarpc.net/
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

futurequest ?

I have not used futurequest, so I can not recommend them. I just know they have had a lot of positive remarks for support and service, but the main criticism is their high prices. Based on what I've read here, they may be what you are looking for. They only offer 99.5% uptime garantee, but I wouldn't put a lot of value in the garantees that are made. It doesn't do you much good to get part of your money back for each day a server is down.

I would recommend you do a search here on futurequest or check out their forums to get a sense of what they offer. Be prepared to pay for their service though - they are quite a bit costlier than most other providers you see around here.

[editted - this may not be virtual server, but just a high quality shared account - not sure exactly what you are wanting]
    Last edited by Rick_M; 10-19-2002 at 01:36 PM.

Originally posted by klisis
    High-end virtual hosting could also mean "semi-dedicated" hosting.
    A true VPS is a semi-dedicated hosting. A server used for several accounts does not qualify for a "semi-dedicated", it's still a shared hosting environment. For one, each account does not have the security/resources isolation from the other accounts. In fact, one run-away process owned by other account can still affect the whole servers and all accounts inside it.

There are many hosts offering VPS but without a security/resources isolation on each VPS, they should not be calling themselves to offer one. Buyer beware!
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

FHDave, most of VPS I've seen are powered by "Ensim’s Patent-pending Private Server Technology". Does this software (or technology) provide enough security? Can I trust a company that is running their VPS under this software?

Yes, I believe Ensim ServerXchange is a true VPS solution in which case each VPS will enjoy the secruity/system resources isolation from other VPSs accounts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast