Hard drive performance

i have a 1.53ghz
    256mb of ram
    15gb hd right now, 5400rpm - running windows xp on it. 15gb is primary hd.

i bought a new 40gb hd 7200 rpm. it hasnt come yet. but when it does i was thinking that i should take out my 15gb, put in my 40gb, and install xp on there.

so basically make my new hd (40gb, bigger, faster) the primary hd, and install xp on it, then make my 15gb secondary.

I figured well since the 40 is faster, and bigger, it would only make sense to run the operating system (XP) off the 40gb hd, and make the 40 primary, but now im starting to wonder would it make any difference?

e.g.

i set 40gb to secondary
    leave 15gb primary, with xp running on it

vs.

i set 40gb to primary
    reinstall xp on the 40gb
    and leave 15gb as secondary

do you think there would be any diff? would things be faster, the same?

With xp you can set your virtual memory to run off either disk in the control panel, system, advanced, etc, but I would load the faster disk as the primary one you load windows and other programs on, and save files and data to the other disk.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

Load off faster disk for sure, its also a good bonus for gaming. I keep all the slower drives and secondary.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

5400 is slow! Use the 7200 for your boot drive, you'll notice a difference. Hard drives are co cheap right now.
    I'm looking at a WD hard drive with 8MB of cache. This is an excellent drive - http://www.wdc.com/products/Products.asp?DriveID=38

Originally posted by web docta
    5400 is slow! Use the 7200 for your boot drive, you'll notice a difference. Hard drives are co cheap right now.
    I'm looking at a WD hard drive with 8MB of cache. This is an excellent drive - http://www.wdc.com/products/Products.asp?DriveID=38
    Web Docta,Yes you may notice a SLIGHT difference,but not allot..
    I reccomend using the 40 for Secondary,and 15 for primary with the OS on.

But..Thats me..

I've presently got an IBM 7200 120GXP HD and a WD 5400 HD on my rig. There is a very noticeable difference in access time. The 5400 is noticeably slower. My IBM is faster, althought I don't trust IBM drives anymore.
    I also have another rig with a Western Digital 80GB 7200 7HD driv/8MB of cache and it is noticeably faster than the IBM.
    I just ordered another WD 80GB to be used as a boot drive. Newegg's got them for $111. no shipping charge.

If your old drive is an ATA/33 or something and you upgrade to a newer 100 or 133, you're going to notice that a lot more than the actual RPM of the drive.

yes the 15gb is pretty old. i think ill make the swap and re install xp on the 40gb.

Originally posted by web docta
    I need to pick up one of those

Originally posted by AutoDJ

Web Docta,Yes you may notice a SLIGHT difference,but not allot..
    I reccomend using the 40 for Secondary,and 15 for primary with the OS on.

But..Thats me..
    Why do that when you have the option to use the 40 for primary?

because it makes the most sense?

but, thats us...

Use the 7200 drive in the desktop and put the older drive in a portable hard drive case. Use it for backup and to access anything you need off it. You can pick up a firewire portable case with pci firewire card for <$100 US. Just swap drives in and out as needed. Only way to handle digital photo storage. Lot easier to catalog and store than 100 CDs.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups