does it matter where you register your domain?

ive noticed that places usually offer different prices to register domain names. im searching for a host for my personal webpage, and was thinking of registering a name along with that. just curious, thanks..

also: any suggestions on a host? i want ~250-500 megs, *nix, etc... workin w/ a budget of about ~$10 / mon. (ive been lurking a while, and know that people will respond w/"go search" .. but since im posting, might as well ask away thanks in advance

Yes it does matter how and where you register your domain.

stay away from any company charging you more than $12-15 per year for a standard domain...you can get the same features for less at places like godaddy.com, registerfly.com, etc.

also, if you choose a host that will register your domain for you, ask them if they register it in your name, or in the company's name. if they register the domain in the company's name, it may be hard to get it transferred to your if you decide to switch hosts and/or registrars.

Arrow

Originally posted by akash
    stay away from any company charging you more than $12-15 per year for a standard domain...you can get the same features for less at places like godaddy.com, registerfly.com, etc.
    I've registered a couple of domains over at 000domains.com ($13.50) and directnic.com ($15.00).

Service has been outstanding and I've got zero complaints.

I've also been with a few companies charging below $9.00 for yearly domain registration, and my experience with them had been far from positive.

I do not think it's wrong to go with a registrar charging below $12.00 for their services, but I don't think it's necessarily 'wrong' to go with one that IS.

true....as a customer, i'd be perfectly content paying $15 for a domain, but anything more than that would be too much...my point was don't pay $35/year if you can get the same services for $9/year

Sorry, I misread your post.

It's getting quite late over here...

Never register your domain with your web host, register domain seperatly
    This forum officially ****ing sucks

[QUOTE]Originally posted by roly
    Never register your domain with your web host, register domain seperatly [/QUOTE

that's a generalized statement

I've bought three of my domain names from directnic.com at $15 each, they have every feature I want, and the service is excellent, no problems what so ever.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

Originally posted by roly
    I don't think that is exactly a fair statement. If you don't trust the host you are going to use to register your domain and do it correctly for you, then you shouldn't trust your site to that host either.

There are some hosts out there that are not in the business of trapping their clients. When we register a domain for a customer, we immediately send them an email with a login/password for the domain so they can change contact/dns servers if they wish. We have NO desire to trap customers to our hosting services. As a matter of fact, we don't even offer annual billing (unless absolutely demanded by the customer) for the same reason. If you don't like our services/support, then I want the customer to have the opportunity to leave.

Painting all hosts with such a wide brush in saying that all hosts engage in trapping their customers is wrong. There are some that do this, I know, I have seen it. However, saying that all hosts do it, or shouldn't be trusted with a domain name is not right.
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

I can vouch for Danny on that one, He will even go farther. He offered to push mine to my current Enom acct so they would be all togeather with out me even asking.

Danny keep up the good work

I have used go daddy for all my domains. Use many of their services along with it.
    Zero problems. I have called to ask questions and found them to be 1st class.

I like Go Daddy

I also use GODaddy and they're great. $8.95 per year for domain and if you pay 2 years or more it's cheaper. $7.75 for transfer. GoDaddy.Com Website

I have 6 domains registered with www.000domains.com and I recommend tham to everyone.

Apearently ****** has not read the rules.

<<MOD NOTE: Post removed, user had been warned. User banned, URL blocked.>>

dandanfirema, is exactly right. We do not hold people's names or sites hostage either. But I tend to tell people that same thing - not to register a domain at the host.
    Last edited by Chicken; 10-19-2002 at 02:02 PM.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Originally posted by roly
    I'm with Roly on this. You've got to be mad to register it with your host. It's so cheap to register that your host is probably only doing this to jack up the prices and lock you into him. There have been numerous threads on many boards about the problems of moving when a host fails, is taken over or loses money or interest. The hardest name transfer I have had to do was for a client that had bought a domain through a hosting co. They stalled until the domain expired, and I had to get the name locked and then unlocked to move it over.

Well, the only reason to have someone else register it would be if you are ignorant to the way domains work. Some people believe that there is some sort of technical finesse that is needed to register domains, host webpages, work on computers etc.

Just like most people in this forum started online with AOL or Prodigy or some other crappy service - once you figured out how badly they stink you searched and found a nice local service and learned to use your own browser, mail program, and search engines as opposed to the proprietary setup the nationals have.

Everything has a learning curve. I am assuming that's the only reason Verisign is still in business charging $35/year.

-WC-

PS: And with Godaddy's changes on transferring, there is really no reason on this earth to pay more than $9 for a domain (well, .com/net/org anyways). Their service is intelligent (not the friendliest, but who cares? they are quite knowledgable). It's 24 hours, registrations are easy and fast. Control panel is nice too.