Looking for site/host examples

Hello, been surfing this forum for a few weeks now and today I finally was able to get my contact information sorted with verisign. I have not been able to change dns info because of it for several months and this forced me to stay at hostway.com longer than I wanted.

I was hoping that you guys/gals wouldn't mind giving me a link to your site and the host you use. Now before you reply, I am only looking for win2k examples please. If you people running hosting companies can't advertise, could you give a clients site? (that maybe bending the rules, I am a noob here so not sure)

I am asking this because I am looking for a new host and I like to bandwidth test servers before signing up. I hate it when I sign up with a new host and in 5 minutes find out that their connection is a straw with strawberry stuck in it. My site moves a fairly average amount of data a month (+8gig).

David Joor
    joor.com
    Last edited by Chicken; 10-19-2002 at 01:19 AM.

Welcome David!

If you people running hosting companies can't advertise, could you give a clients site? (that maybe bending the rules, I am a noob here so not sure)
    Most hosts are unable to publicly post a client's URL, but if you ask them nicely, they might email it to you.

Do you have any other specific requirements (aside from Windows Hosting)?

Well I guess I could get all descriptive. Things I need.

1. 200 - 300 mb storage minimum
    2. 6 - 8 gig transfer minimum
    3. True email control (ability to delete my accounts, move catch all, and bounces are a plus)
    4. Email Component
    5. Upload Component (for the future)
    6. ASP.NET (in the future)
    7. Telephone support a plus
    8. Dedicated IP

hmm...I had thought of a host when i first posted, but now i can't remember the name of it (i shoulda posted it...)

but anywho, try posting this in the requests forum if you want specific offers, otherwise i'm sure you'll get some recommendations over the weekend...

Yeah, actually not looking for offers though, I want to see personal sites on servers. That way I can get a feel for how responsive the servers feel, I am just wierd that way. The rest I can do by plowing the forums for companies.

Why can't you just look at a host's web site? That would tell you server responsiveness too.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Originally posted by smidwap
    Why can't you just look at a host's web site? That would tell you server responsiveness too.
    lots of hosts put websites on multiple servers, so it's a good idea to ask the host specifically for the ip of the server your website will be placed on if you ordered today...

Originally posted by akash

lots of hosts put websites on multiple servers, so it's a good idea to ask the host specifically for the ip of the server your website will be placed on if you ordered today...
    Very good point. I would definately make sure to do this before going ahead with your testing!
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Also hosts will cap bandwidth to customer servers while keeping theirs wide open.