Is it secure to give out your credit card #?

Hello,

My friend asked me that his web hosting company's credit card transaction is from authorize.net and it is down since it is currently upgrading. So, the hosting company asked him to send his information through email, so they can set it up manually. Is it secure to give out your credit # through mail? Thanks.

Ummmmm.....

I wouldn't.

Yep. I told him not to

email == not secure or encrypted.

i wouldnt.

Unless your friend uses some sort of encryption: PGP or GPG, I wouldn't do it.

I still wouldnt.

http://www.rawlogic.com/thefaqs.html

"Q: I worry about giving my credit card information over the Internet, how can I guarantee that it's safe?

A: You can't guarantee that your credit card information will not become available to someone who has illicit plans for the information, but here is some more information about this:

If the web site that you're purchasing from has SSL (even 40 bit), and you ensure that you have an SSL secure connection (a closed lock in MSIE and Communicator), then the transmission of your credit card information will be MORE secure than reading it to someone over an unsecure (unencrypted) telephone line. You should never transmit your credit card information via unencrypted email or on a non-SSL web site.

However, the problem is that most breaches regarding security happen after the trasmission of the information, when the data is sitting in the merchant's computer system. You can never be sure of how well a merchant is safe guarding your billing information. More than likely, they aren't even going to publish their security policies (for security reasons).

One great thing is, that purchasing with Visa or MasterCard offers you a lot of protection. Because Visa and MasterCard merchants must agree to abide by a common Merchant Agreement, you are always protected as long as you look over your credit card statements and request charge backs for purchases that you did not make (within 30 days of the purchase). The burden of proof is always on the merchant. If you request a charge back, the merchant typically has one day to provide proof that they were presented the credit card, and authenticated it. Since mail order and Internet merchants aren't going to have a signed receipt, the merchant is almost always unable to prove the charge was valid, and you win (and unfortunately, they lose).

This information may not apply to other credit cards such as American Express or Discover."

I say if they asked you to email them your credit card information, then they need more training and have horrible security policies and I wouldn't trust them to safeguard my info. IMHO.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

it is as secure as you publishing the details in this forum and asking the webhost to come and read it from here

Maybe, a bit of exaggration, but practically similar effect in reality.

Just occured to me: Anyone know if doing this (emailing details) would invalidate the warranty for the user? Of course this depends on each credit card company but worth checking!

Hosty

I wouldn't give it much thought. Does your friend give their credit card to the countless teenagers working retail when they buy something?

I would guess more fraud occurs from teenagers stealing numbers from a bricks and mortar business, or at least that was my experience as a teenager.