Any good resources for system administrators?

I just wondered if there exists any check list for common problems facing system administrators of linux/apache servers. I will soon get my first dedicated server and are looking for some resources to make the transition from shared reseller hosting easier.

Thanks
    John

[EDIT] I should add that I have done a lot of searching without finding what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by nogi; 10-18-2002 at 06:06 PM.

CERT has Unix Security Checklist. Just go to www.cert.org and search for it

a book

I pick up books whenever I can, and I found this one called "Linux Administration - A beginner's Guide"

It covers various aspects of basic administration, compiling, installing, security, users, setting up your various services (DNS, POP, SSH, NFS, DHCP) etc.. its pretty simple to read. Its around 500 pages, comes with redhat 6.2, and I think I picked it up for 5 bucks used on amazon

There are hundreds of books on the subject so it is just a matter of what you really want to learn and how detailed you need to get into it. If you already have some basic linux knowledge it may be more helpful to get a book specifically geared towards working with the server environment, but its all personal prefrence

Essential System Administration by O'Reiley (sp?) and Associates.

This forum officially ****ing sucks

Re: Any good resources for system administrators?

Originally posted by nogi
    I just wondered if there exists any check list for common problems facing system administrators of linux/apache servers. I will soon get my first dedicated server and are looking for some resources to make the transition from shared reseller hosting easier.

Thanks
    John

[EDIT] I should add that I have done a lot of searching without finding what I'm looking for.
    A check list for problems on linux? Your going to die young. Spare yourself rm -rf / && install FreeBSD
    C Code. C code run. Run, code, run...
    Segmentation fault (core dumped).. aww sh!t

Thanks everyone for your input

John

A check list for problems on linux? Your going to die young. Spare yourself rm -rf / && install FreeBSD

Nope - I'm going for linux.

John