i need ur advice ppl

Ever since i start using winodws XP, my system is running slow. When i play movies, its dragging. Video & Audio timing is messed up. I never had this problem with XP until i installed SP1. cuz i didn't archive the files i can't uninstall them now. Which is the best option, downgrading from windows XP to windows 2000 or reinstalling XP?

System
    Pentium II 450Mhz
    256 SD RAM
    15GB Harddrive
    16MB Voodoo3 graphics card

Is 2000 more reliable than XP? And how will i go about downgrading from XP to 2000?

Its a known issue with the XP service pack. We have seen many customers come in complaining that their XP systems start to slow to a halt after the SP install. They had a segment on TechTV about it, and it has been posted on various tech websites that this happens on some configuations. May want to search for it.

I myself have had no problem and found XP to run a bit better after the SP, so it all depends.

k4nth,

I have had several problems with the SP1 for XP. Have you disabled system restore? If not, that may sucessfully revert your system settings back to before the SP1 installation. I ended up doing a reinstall of XP.

i disabled system restore If i reinstall, will i lose my files?

first is your xp legal sp1 jacks up a pirated version (if you can even get it on)...and second you cant down grade...like you cant go from xp to me/2k/etc
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

I have never seen XP on a Pentium II 450Mhz - think that might be the problem?

XP runs fine on a Pentium II 400mhz with 256mb ram (although some of the more intensive features are disabled like highlight transparency or whatever it's called).

I remember at a Microsoft event I went to a long time ago they were demonstrating Windows XP on a Pentium II 350mhz to
    show that it would run fine - and it did.

As for the service pack - I'm not installing it; at least for the time being. My XP system runs fine and I'm not risking the chance that it might stuff up.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

i have a amd k6 400 that xp runs fine on no problems...although the dvd drive i threw in doesn't work too well :'(

EDIT: fixed something it said "ks400" meant k6 400
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

i repaired Windows XP using the Repair function. It seems to be okay now. I still got problems wen i use Winamp3 and wen i try to watch movies. It really slows down the system

well for one, winamp 3 is the worst piece of software I have ever seen. I used to be a huge winamp fan, but their v3 crap can kiss my rear end. For once WMP plays movies better than something.

well running a dvd on a p2 isn't the best thing to do...IMHO special if you have alot running in the background...hows your virtual memory? and yes i hate winamp 3 it sucks sooo bad
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Originally posted by JeremyV
    well for one, winamp 3 is the worst piece of software I have ever seen. I used to be a huge winamp fan, but their v3 crap can kiss my rear end. For once WMP plays movies better than something.
    Winamp3 sucks. I tried the beta, and then a few minutes later I uninstalled it and went back to 2.8.

Last week I tried 3 again for a day. The next day I went back to 2 again.

I still use WMP 8 for movies - no complaints with that.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net