How to increase admin disk quota?

How can I increase the "Operating System and Programs" disk quota?
    I am trying to create a .tar of all the serversí files in root and I get a message that there isn't enough space.

The server has a 30gig HD and there is less than 2gigs of files there.
    The "Operating System and Programs" was set up with a 1gig and is currently using 640megs of it.

Is there a way for me to create a .tar to backup all the server files and ftp to another server without making any changes to the current setup?
    Thank you,
    ML

Mannylucio, why not go to the /home directory and call Tar from there, using absolute paths to the files you want in the tar? That way you have more space to deal with because you are in a different partition.

The RAQs' partition setup isn't very generous, so you might be best advised to follow CmptrWz's advice.
    To help free up some space on the root partition you can move non-essential files (eg. man pages etc., ) onto the 'home' partition and softlink them to their original location. As far as I can remember this saved me at least 500MB (maybe more)
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

How to?

Originally posted by CmptrWz
    Mannylucio, why not go to the /home directory and call Tar from there, using absolute paths to the files you want in the tar? That way you have more space to deal with because you are in a different partition.
    What comand can I use to call Tar from the home directory?
    Can you please give me an example.
    Thank you,
    ML

cd /home
    tar -cf whatever.tar /path/to/folder/1 /path/to/folder/2 ....

That should create a whatever.tar with the contents of whatever you listed afterwards, by fully path, in your /home directory.