PowerPoint vs Flash

I am not real good with flash, I can do the basics. I am wanting to have an opening site with like a cloud and sky picture background with random bible verse fading in and out and also having children's pictures on the side fading in and out. One picture on the left would fade in and when it started to fade out the one on the right would fade in. Is there an easy way to do this, can it be done and launched to a website using powerpoint instead of flash??

powerpoint will not (thank god, because it's total crap) export animation to the web. additionally, it's not platform independent like flash is. maybe someday they will fix this, but right now MS knows this dog of a product is everywhere because it's an MS office product--no need to upgrade it; every one uses it.

use flash or ask someone to do it for you if it's non-profit--some people will donate their time for causes in which they believe.

Actually... it's possible to do that in PowerPoint.

Step 1: Create the slide with images and animations and make the animations automatic.

Step 2: Save as website, and click Publish to mark that animations should be shown, and click on the webalternative button to ad support for different browsers and so on.

Step 3: Create the start page and use embedded object or IFRAME to put the PowerPoint slide/website on your start page.

Step 4: Learn how to do the same in Flash, because it's easier, and uses just ONE file.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

PowerPoint 2002/XP is actually the best version they have done so far. I'm not a big fan of MS, but PowerPoint is really fun to work with when you get really into it. I'm sure there are better software for presentations out there, but as long as you have MS Office installed you might as well use the tools you have, if you have nothing else. Using PowerPoint instead of Flash should be considered a temporary solution.

i could be wrong, but you cannot view that page in all browsers--it does not render the image in netscape (of course, because it'snot an MS product) nor does it render properly on a macintosh.

to me it obviates it's use entirely.

I would recommend having a company design your flash presentation. Or use swish. Search for it on google.com.

LMFAO, just the subject of this thread makes me want to laugh. Never put flash and powerpoint in the same sentence
    also, do as i say, not as i do

Don't forget that a small but increasing number of surfers are disabling active-x and therefore Flash, so you should allow a flash-free path into your site.

flash requires active-x to be up and running? i thought it was just the sniffer to detect flash that requires active-x, not the actual plugin. this is browser software so i was under the impression that active-x did not play a part in running flash via IE or netscape.

i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure you don't need active-x to run flash in a browser.

macs don't have active-x anyway so you can ignore that issue with a mac platform...

or just have a link saying you need flash to view it, which is a nice halfway point if you don't care to maintain two sites for the sliver of tech geeks who are disabling pieces of their operating system--most casual home surfers ( who you seem to be targeting with this type of site) don't customize their configuration to turn off something as nebulous as active-x....

just my .02.

If it's just images and animations and no interactivity or randomness, then you could convert the flash to animated gif. I know it isn't perfect but everyone with images enabled will see it.

Of course, there are people with images disabled, so you can't please everyone
    Lead Designer @ SingleHop

Of course, but some people don't want to install anything to view flash and so on, and images don't need any "extras". Put something nice and informative in the alt-tag or longdesc or title-tag and people can view that image only.

of course you can go read jakob nielsen and have a page with html text only, and completely defeat the whole purpose of your site. confused yet?

Search 'flash' in download.com (please correct me mods if I am not allowed to say download.com in this board) and I believe there are some programs that do this for you. Also try searching that site for animation etc.
    Orlando Magic--> 05-06 CHAMPS

Of course the extreme option (if you're lucky enough to have a Mac) is to use Keynote. It kicks M$ Powerpoint up and down. It won't export to Flash, but it will do a nice Quicktime with high quality dissolves, transitions and 3d effects. Just another option.

From what you've described, it seems like it's just fading in and out effects and images moving left to right.

If you know basic Flash, you can achieve that pretty easily. If you need some tutorial help, just go to the many Flash tutorial sites. Here's a pretty good one:

http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/tutflash.asp

This site has many links to tutorial sites:
    http://webreference.com/multimedia/flash/

Hope this helps.