how many hrs of customer support to u do daily?

how many clients do u have? how many of hrs of support do u do?

0 Hours.
    Signature.

I rarley speak on the phone to customers, I find myself far too busy to do a sales or tech support call...

(esp with the time i waste in all these forums)

400 Clients
    Anywhere from 3 - 4 hours
    Last edited by OllieVH; 10-18-2002 at 12:14 AM.

I work for a few different hosting and hosting related providers, so I spend most of my time answering support queries.
    I doubt that helps you. But, you asked.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

im trying to get an idea of a client to hrs of support ratio. ie for every 100 clients, u do maybe 2 hr of support. whats ur ratio?

Out of every 100 clients, I'd say fifteen to thirty minutes a day for me.
    For you, it depends on your target client base and your equipment.

wahts ur url? if u dont mind..

Originally posted by OllieVH
    400 Clients
    Anywhere from 3 - 12 hours
    Are you for real?
    Do you really spend 3-12 hours a day helping only 400 customers ?

For every 100 customers we average about 2-3 support request a day. And this is usually basic stuff.

is phone support a necessity? or do you guys do mostly email support? we already do email and IM, but we're trying to decide if phone is worth the extra $$$.
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

IMHO phone support is not a necessity. I've had one customer who did not sign up because we do not offer phone support. I think good email and IM support is enough.

Email, IM, ticket desk are all more effective than phone suport. But, there's always that one customer that insists on calling. I do not believe phone support is an essential ingredient in providing good support. Except for that one person that needs to call. For him, support isn't good unless it's on the phone.

Originally posted by VIPsNet

Are you for real?
    Do you really spend 3-12 hours a day helping only 400 customers ?

For every 100 customers we average about 2-3 support request a day. And this is usually basic stuff.
    Oops typo, I meant to type 3-4 hours a day. That includes getting the support request, completing the ticket, and following up to make sure that I fixed the problem. It also includes the system administration that I do on the servers. DNS configs, updates, perl stuff, end-user script installs, and the like. Plus we host unlimited domains per each account, so although we have 400 clients, we have a lot more domains that need support. We also deal in the budget hosting category so we deal with a lot of customers who are coming from free web page sites and do not understand having their own domain, and hosting it. That should clear up my original post.
    Last edited by OllieVH; 10-18-2002 at 12:20 AM.

How much support you have to provide depends on many factors. It depends on whether you have a Knowledge Base or an FAQ page. An excellent KB can cut back support by a lot. A very informative welcome email can save heaps of support too. If you have a community forum, then that can be an excellent resource for your new clients to search through existing threads.

There are many things that you can do to limit the amount of support needed and improve your client's experience with your service.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

i think phone support poses some problem like the client being away from the pc and pretending to be in front of the pc. and also some inacurracies and inability to keep track of what's going on unlike the logged IM / email support.

Originally posted by OllieVH

Oops typo, I meant to type 3-4 hours a day. That includes getting the support request, completing the ticket, and following up to make sure that I fixed the problem. It also includes the system administration that I do on the servers. DNS configs, updates, perl stuff, end-user script installs, and the like. Plus we host unlimited domains per each account, so although we have 400 clients, we have a lot more domains that need support. We also deal in the budget hosting category so we deal with a lot of customers who are coming from free web page sites and do not understand having their own domain, and hosting it. That should clear up my original post.
    ahh, okay then it looks pretty normal to me.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    How much support you have to provide depends on many factors. It depends on whether you have a Knowledge Base or an FAQ page. An excellent KB can cut back support by a lot. A very informative welcome email can save heaps of support too.
    I totaly agree with you here, however a lot of customers seems to just email you the question instead of looking answer in FAQ ot KB.

We wrote new 'welcome email' it's pretty big now, about 14KB and includes all details, even domain transfer and it cut our support request dramatically.

less than an hour a day

As many as it takes.
    Asking is the answer

There are good days and there are busy days, it's not all that consistent.

Sometimes anywhere from 1 - 3 hrs a day.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

we have zilch really. As a part of our signup process we ask if they want phpnuke/postnuke/envolution or os commerce and most of the times people are happy and never ask for support. They're also made aware that they get script support from the right website (phpnuke.org.. etc..etc..)

If we have any issues, it is usually someone who ftp'd to the wrong folder or what not.

Luckily i market specificly to a segment of people who have hosted sites and know what they want. I'm not here to advertise to every joe who wants to host a web page

make decent money, customers love me and email/IM support is the way to go. If someone ever says something, you atleast have logs of it (use a trouble ticket system!).

For co-lo i do offer blackberry & pager support as i want to make sure those customers have a contact person at all times.. but people paying 7.95 a month.. nahh

If they want to host somewhere that is 19.95 a month and get phone support to babysit them through uploading a page for their ebay auctions, then that is fine by me! hehe

i would say my niche is the customers that were pissed off at the service from "the big boys" and they know what they want, don't want to pay alot, but will pay for quality service! (most don 't want to pickup a phone either hehe)

if anything, just get a voicemail box so they can leave message or listen to a status.

right now, not much. i seem to be spending more time on pre-sales then support. but then, i'm still new to this so i only have a few customers. with the one customer, i spent the first 2 days (on and off) helping him with several issues. none of them were related to the hosting itself. they were actually phpNuke/IBF issues. i figured that helping him with these instead of saying "go ask at www.invisionboard.com" is a good way for me to get some good word of mouth. i realize that once i grow big, this might be a problem, but for now, i feel the need to go that extra mile for the customer. plus, i have nothing better to do with my time. once i grow big, i'll try to figure out the best way of handling this, but i don't want to make the customers think that we will only help with certain issues.

Originally posted by VIPsNet
    I totaly agree with you here, however a lot of customers seems to just email you the question instead of looking answer in FAQ ot KB.
    Which I always reply to with the url in the KB where that question is already answered. This happens to us every now and then. I think it depends on how clear you make the KB and the proceedure for getting tech support.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

If you stress using your KB, FAQ, or community forums to ask questions (or have answered), then clients will start to catch on. However, if you just let it slide and answer a support request which has already been answered in the FAQ or KB or forums, then clients may become lazy and not refer to your FAQ or KB for information.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

We probably have 60-70 man hours of support a day... that includes people doing hardware and system maintenance.

-Brendan

We probably have 60-70 man hours of support a day
    Wow. Thats like 7 to 9 people working 8hrs a day each. Must be going allright then. Any chance of getting a rough client count to go with that at all?
    Asking is the answer

Re: how many hrs of customer support to u do daily?

Originally posted by rlynch
    how many of hrs of support do u do?
    less than an hour a day
    www.rackfive.com
    Aquired by Data Provider LLC.

From my experience and what I've heard and watched. Your expectations for the number of support tickets depend on the reliability of your service. Things to consider:

- Flexibility and usability of End User Control Panel
    - Server Uptime
    - Server Configurations

On average, I would expect around 5% - 10% support tickets.

(e.g. If you have 100 clients, expect around 5-10 tickets a day)

Again, this will greatly depends on your server & also how complex your clients needs.
    Reliability Performance Integrity

Well, like a few people here I am just starting myself. But I have 3 customers already and support is not really an issue yet. They have their own web designers and no really issues for me.

Had to help with a news script once. But I have pdesk installed now, and a community forum. So I hope things so smooth....

I will keep everyone informed.

CyberDock

HEY why you delete my website!?

HEY I can't log in!

I guess having phone support is useful once you grow to that size ... but live text chat (or email reply within 1 hour) is the minimum kind of support I believe a reasonably priced host should offer.
    Web Hosting Stuff - Over 10,000+ Hosting Companies Listed
    http://www.webhostingstuff.com