mail delivery software (Exim) is refusing any emails with attachments... how to fix?

It refuses so much email it's scary... I think any attachment except .zip, .jpg, or .gif!

How can I customize this / fix this?

Ponchatoula, LA
    Check your exim.conf file and look for the "message_filter=file_name" line. Edit the file listed and look for something like this:

if $header_content-type: matches "(?:file)?name=(\"[^\"]+\\\\.(?:ad[ep]|ba[st]|c
      fail text "This message has been rejected because it has\n\
                 potentially executable content $1\n\
                 This form of attachment has been used by\n\
                 recent viruses or other malware.\n\
                 If you meant to send this file then please\n\
                 package it up as a zip file and resend it."
      seen finish
    Remove whatever extensions from the regular expression that you want to allow.

Enigma Hosting
    "I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying!"

Thanks - I'll do that!

Any reason to disallow certain filenames? Can the server ever be damaged by viruses passing through email?

I believe the file extensions that are blocked are executable on Windows machines (perhaps other platforms). This can pose a security threat to any user that executes the attachment. With viruses and trojans being sent through email these days, disabling this function in email will prevent spammers or malicious users from sending a trojan or virus to an unsuspecting person. If you need an executable sent to someone through email, if you zip the exe up, then the end user must unzip the archive first. This is an additional step that will make unsuspecting users think twice before executing the executable.

Does this pose a threat to the end receiver or the server itself? I don't want to risk hurting the server, but frankly, people that receive email through my server need to protect themselves..