Psoft and H-Sphere just got 1000X worse.. :(

Ok here is the problem. Customers add a new domain. The dns is added to the cp machine but the main dns machine doesn't load the information for hours sometimes never. This is very annoying. I wrote psoft and they said that I have to add reverse dns entries for evey ip on my network or else this will happen. Now I have my own dns server setup on another network and don't have this problem. Any ideas.

-------------------------------------------------------
    [Oct 17, 2002 7:19:38 PM]
    Q: So you are saying I have to add every ip that we use for dns as a reverse
    zone. I am a little confused by your answer. I thought we only needed to do
    this for the main IP. This will be a lot of truble.

A: Usually reverse dns record must be present for all IPs in the internet, as there are a lot of services, which require this. Of cource, there aren't rigid restriction concerning naming,as comparing direct and reverse lookup is made rather rare.

Here is a chat from one of the techs at psoft on the same issue.

If you plan on using H-Sphere for resellers FOR GET IT..

This goes right long with there little SSL problem.. The build a CP that can support resellers but then when you use it you find out the hard way..

gigabito is from Psoft.net

Vortech (3:47 PM) :
    You around?
    gigabito (3:48 PM) :
    hello
    Vortech (3:48 PM) :
    Hello, I am having an issue with a ticket and I am not sure what tech is working on it.. But he is not making much sense.. LoL
    gigabito (3:49 PM) :
    what is the ticket about?
    Vortech (3:49 PM) :
    Ticket 164144 we are having a lot of problems with DNS not getting updated or even added for long time like it can take up to 3 days for a domian just to get added to our main DNS server..
    gigabito (3:50 PM) :
    ah, it's about reverse dns, right?
    Vortech (3:50 PM) :
    He is saying we need rDNS for ever IP we add to the server. But this is just about inposible to do.. It should not have any thing to do with why dns is not getting up dated from one server to the next
    Vortech (3:51 PM) :
    Yea but thats not the problem.. I am more then 100% sure.. It just that the main DNS server never gets updated with the info from the CP server till we go in and remake the DNS by hand and then it works fine.
    gigabito (3:51 PM) :
    you know - HSphere doesn't supports reverse DNS IPs. Of course we can setup it for you but you need to be a netblock holder. Are you?
    gigabito (3:52 PM) :
    or you are sure that is not a reverse DNS problem, correct?
    Vortech (3:52 PM) :
    Yes we are.. Our rDNS is done by our other DNS servers.. Now here is the funny thing.. We never have this problem our other DNS servers only with H-Sphere..
    gigabito (3:52 PM) :
    okay, which server you are using for rDNS?
    Vortech (3:53 PM) :
    65.57.231.151 and 231.152 do rdns for our network..
    gigabito (3:53 PM) :
    are there connected to hsphere? if so, I log into
    Vortech (3:54 PM) :
    No they have nothing to do with H-Sphere. They run CPanel to do all our DNS for other servers.. But we only have rDNS for the main IPs on the boxs. Just like we do for H-Sphere. But you guys are saying we need it for ever IP and we don't on any other bind server.
    Vortech (3:55 PM) :
    I am just lost here... LoL
    gigabito (3:55 PM) :
    . I just read an answer of our admin. maybe the problem not in rDNS. I'll take a look now
    Vortech (3:56 PM) :
    Thanks... I just don't see what rDNS had to do with updating DNS from one server to the next.. hehe
    gigabito (3:58 PM) :
    it seems I should run DNSCreator...
    Vortech (3:59 PM) :
    Whats that? We run that little DNS tool ever time we see the problem and it fixes it.. But we should not have to do that. We have to do it about 5 to 10 times aday because it messes up.
    gigabito (4:02 PM) :
    it's a reseller DNS

[[email protected]]:~>host ns2.lateralsystems.com
    ns2.lateralsystems.com has address 65.57.225.234
    [[email protected]]:~>host 65.57.225.234
    Host not found.

and it can't be transferred because rDNS is absent. Yes, rDNS is required here
    gigabito (4:02 PM) :
    I recreated this zone with DNSCreator however you need to setup reverse DNS to prevent this problem in a future
    Vortech (4:04 PM) :
    But the problem is how do we know the domain and IP to set it for?? or does it care what domain we use just set it up for ever IP.. Thats the hard part we have no wasy way to tell ok ip 127.0.0.1 goes with ns.thisdomain.com to make rDNS for it.. See why that is such a pain..
    Vortech (4:04 PM) :
    Plus with 300 resellers we have 600 IPs to do and this is the first time its been a problem.
    Vortech (4:07 PM) :
    Still there?
    gigabito (4:07 PM) :
    I can do nothing - our software doesn't support reverse DNS yet...
    Vortech (4:08 PM) :
    Yea so what should I do? Then your software is usless now for us.. There is no way for us to find the domains and the IPs there own for name servers but yet your telling me your system must have this.. Just does not make sense to build a CP that supports resellers so well but then can't support them all.. Kind of like the CP SSL thing..
    Vortech (4:09 PM) :
    Guess we should start looking for a new CP that can do these things..
    gigabito (4:10 PM) :
    i think you should write rDNS manually at this time...
    Vortech (4:11 PM) :
    For 600 IPs? How in the hell are we going to know what nameserver NAME liek ns.theuserdoamin.com goes with what IP??
    gigabito (4:13 PM) :
    I can do nothing now... please contact our team by email, maybe someone will find solution for you.
    Vortech (4:14 PM) :
    I have done this over and over..

Wow, time to find another control panel then.

Yep.. Thats what i am thinking as well.. H S P complete is looking right good about now..

I don't plan to pull H-Sphere just yet we may be finding some thing better thats for damn sure.. Some thing that works like it should.
    Last edited by Vortech; 10-17-2002 at 04:34 PM.

Here is the last thing we just sent them...

Hello,
    Ok form what I can tell you are saying that the problem arises when one dns server is trying to pull the dns info from the other dns server. It looks at the ip address listed in the named.conf and tries to do Rdns lookup. If that fails then it will nto transfer the domain.

My question is this.
    Why can't we just use the two ips 65.57.231.100 and 65.57.230.120 in the named.confs since dns runs on those ips. I don't see nay reason we would have to use the exact resellers ip to transfer dns. also this would keep me from having to enter rdns info since these two ips aplready have it. I know the dns runs on all o f the ips on the machine wiht the exact information on each ip so there should be no reason to not be able to do this.

Please repond as soon as you can

Bad thing is we should not have to tell them how to program there own CP.. I would just be happy with a working one.. hehe

I think this email kind of says what they are doing wrong and why..

Hey Vortech,

Do you think the problem you're having would cause this...

Some of our h sphere resellers sites randomly can not be found at some times during the month. This will go on for a day or two and then everything works again. This includes mail not working.

Keep in mind that H S P Complete does not have an end user control panel. Well not one that is like h sphere, cpanel or plesk.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

Yea i had not looked at H S P Complete a lot yet.. Why can't you put there domain in with out getting ****'s that is odd.. Hmmm..

Well it may be the same thing with your servers as well. Mike just emailed them to see if the above can be done if so it would fix the problem.. I have never heard of name servers needing rDNS only mail servers.. Its odd they would build a system knowing it needs rDNS but then the darn CP does not even support rDNS.. LoL

Vortech - See my post on Sitepoint.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

I thought I was the only person having major problems with DNS, billing, disk usage stats, .. errr I mean H-Sphere in general.

Tracy Phillips

Join the club. I just refunded over $3000 of phantom charges that the billing system charged our customers.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged

I don't think it is any secret now. I just bought H S P Complete and it should have been installed on three servers today :-( but hasn't been so far.

Scott Deming (DizixCom) just reported that he had success installing H-Sphere inside a Virtuozzo VE and this will be my most likely be the path I take with H-Sphere clients except for the windows clients and I am still up in air about that.

Tracy Phillips

The DNS issue is the same as we had and it's pretty easy to fix once you've got the problem nailed down. Again, updated in the thread on SPF with more detail as it was the first I read.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764

Vortech,

This is just a guess but in your /etc/named.conf file do you have a section that looks something like:
    allow-transfer {
    127.0.0.1;
    65.x.x.x;
    65.x.x.x;
    };
    If you do, then you'll have to add your reseller nameserver IP's to this section. The problem you are describing sounds an awful like like a zone transfer is being denied. If you don't care if the rest of the world can do full AXFR on a zone on one of your DNS IP's you can remove the allow-transfer altogether, but I wouldn't recommend it.

For what it's worth, I've pretty much given up on HSPHERE support. Last time I had a problem I emailed them with a detailed explination, including details I pulled right from the database and they proceeded to tell me that I created the problem myself by messing with the database. Somehow "SELECT" queries became destructive I gather.
    <!-- boo! -->

Yea there support really has started to suck.. Check out hspheresupport.com.. I just got of the phone with them and may think about using them before moving off H-Sphere to see if they can pull the systems back together..

As for the DNS we allow all transfer so its not that. The problem is if resellers DNS ip is 127.0.0.52 thats there main DNS IP on one server then 127.0.0.53 is on the other but the main IPs of the servers are 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.0.2 it will not work since we don't have rDNS setup for them each..

H-Sphere made there system to need rDNS but they don't even support rDNS in the CP..LoL

KDAWebServices, idea will work that he posted but we need to get H-Sphere to stop remaking the files with the old info each time. We can change it but as soon as it restarts it remakes the files as far as i know if they were changed from a backup or from the DB..

I think we can fix the problem at some point.. It just said they made a huge CP and leave out the simple things like this and SSL for resellers. SSL is a huge issue as with out the CP does a real hosting reseller no good at all. But i think we just got that fixed by talking with hspheresupport.com..

That's weird. I only have one reseller, a friend who was helping me test the reseller capabilities out. We never had any problems with zone transfers, it always seemed to work just fine and I didn't initially have reverse dns turned on. I can't speak for the volumes of other troubles we've had, quotas always being screwed up and billing being completely indescribable. Finally we came to the conclusion that HSPHERE wasn't nearly ready for production resellers, not without huge volumes of support incidents.

Now with Virtuozzo and H-S-P-Complete, resellers are much easier. Just put whatever control panel you want in a VPS and off you go. Even HSPHERE complete clusters if you so desire.
    <!-- boo! -->

LOL considering the promotion it got on the HostingController forum by you....

Anyhow, were using that (HC) til Helm comes along... (post beta)...
    http://www.webhost-automation.com
    Last edited by dergal; 10-17-2002 at 10:56 PM.

HostingController has its problems as well. We still have it running.. HostingController is a great CP as long as your not using it.. LoL

Vortech, slider_lv will be able to fix the script that creates the Zones as I described, we've not had any problems since he fixed it for us. Not sure why the problem started happening (as I'm sure you're not) we just got up one day and it was broken

Can identify with all of the H-sphere issues

although it's what I know. .. will most likely be purchsing H S P complete (banned for spam) and running hsphere inside, although I'd prefer to run plesk within.

I am lost..

We is ever one getting H S P complete and running stuff inside of it? Why would you want to run 2 CP's on on top of anther? Does H S P complete make like a VPS or some thing?

You can just use virtuozzo you don't need ****. **** lets you have automation similar to serverxchange or PEM.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged

But H S P Complete is more convenient, I believe.
    WG

It's good to see that Tracy was one of the first to be on top of this issue, and now we know why he stopped using H Sphere. Does H S P Complete work for endusers and resellers?

H S P Complete does it all. It has reseller capabilities, enterprise user capabilities for those who have multiple users managing multiple sites, and end user capabilities including individual VPS account maintenance. It's the most comprehensive system I've seen to date.

If you don't like how they handle resellers or end user domain hosting, install CPanel, Plesk, Ensim, or HSphere in a VPS and take it from there. You can have CPanel, Plesk, Ensim and HSphere all running on the same server if you really want to. Though to be quite honest, they cover most bases within their own toolset.

Provisioning and configuration are quite a chore, but well worth it. I've just started configuring my installation and it's, well, incredible.
    <!-- boo! -->

How is tracy on top of it if i posted the issue?? Lost sorry..

We have H-Sphere working great now, not a problem at all.. H S P Complete is very limited to H-Sphere. No windows support what so ever. It has its good points and bad points i guess just never used..

It's not important, but Tracy was the first one that I noticed that stopped using H Sphere, and I figured he had good reason, though I didn't see him posting anything about it until recently.

Anyhow, the important thing is that the information is out. It doesn't matter who saw the problem first.

That tech wasnt very smart, and he had a bad attitude. People these days.....
    Coming Soon!

Course there's always Ensim for both Windows and *nix.

Originally posted by chrisb
    Course there's always Ensim for both Windows and *nix.

No No ensim SUCKS.. At least from what I have seen any way..

Ensim is ok, its just a pain in the ass sometimes, and things you can do in a minute in Cpanel, takes 20 minutes in ENSIM.
    Coming Soon!

Originally posted by JaysonH
    Ensim is ok, its just a pain in the ass sometimes, and things you can do in a minute in Cpanel, takes 20 minutes in ENSIM.
    That's BS, or else you're awfully slow with your fingers.

Chris, ever heard of sarcasm?
    Coming Soon!

Hey hostingplex,
    That girl on your main page is hot, pass me her #. :-P
    Coming Soon!