Question Where should the bandwidth be?

Hope this is the right forum for this - nowhere seemed perfect. I'm not looking for programming advice - it's about how much bandwidth I specify for different hosting accounts.

The (proposed) scenario:

Account A has lots of relatively small (c2k) files - html snippets. Maybe 20,000 of them, maybe more in time.

Accounts B - whatever (certainly C, D, E) are with different hosts and use the snippets from account A within pages they present to visitors, wrapped up in different ways depending on the site.

Trying to work out the bandwidth I need - and where, I've tied myself in knots trying to visualize what's travelling where. It's clear that account A will need bandwidth based on the total number/size files pulled from it, but the needs of the other accounts may depend on how the snippets get included?

Option 1 (preffered). use a perl script via SSI to GET the snippet from account A and print it out transparently as part of the page. This is going to count towards this account's bandwidth right? Only once (going out)? or twice (coming in and going out)?

Option 2. Put the snippet in a frame or iframe. I think this goes straight from account A to the browser right? So no bandwidth impact on the accounts B,C,D etc?

Actually, I think typing this out has helped make some of it clearer, but I'd still appreciate confirmation

Thanks

option 1: data will be pulled from account A and then displayed within account B. Browser will then download from account B (so yes, I think you'll take a double hit)

option 2: data will be pulled and displayed at account B from account B (so no transfer to account A). Frame will be downloaded from account A. (so it's a single grab from each account)

At least that's how I see it

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik
    option 1: data will be pulled from account A and then displayed within account B. Browser will then download from account B (so yes, I think you'll take a double hit)
    Thanks, but is it only double - or possibly even triple hit? Does the host of account B measure the bandwidth used by data coming in from A to B as well as B to browser, os is it only outgoing bandwidth they measure?