View Poll Results: What program do you use to create your graphics for your web site?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Photoshop

19 61.29%
  • Illustrator

0 0%
  • Other (please specify below)

12 38.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Preferred Graphics Editing Tool?

I would like to know what program you use to create your graphics for your web site and why? What are the pros & cons?

I use fireworks, because is the only one i have and know use
    www.rackfive.com
    Aquired by Data Provider LLC.

I used to use Photoshop 6 for all my graphics until recently when I downloaded a demo of Fireworks MX from Macromedia - and then immediately went and bought the full version.

The software is amazing. It's easy to use and has all the utilities there ready to use. It's also compatible with Photoshop's PSD format so it's no problem to move over to Fireworks.

Pros - Half the price of Photoshop, easy to use, integrates with Dreamweaver MX, attractive interface, Adobe compatibility.
    Cons - Cost may still be prohibitive for some (AU$640)

I did try earlier versions of Fireworks, but the interface was too clunky and hard to use - but the MX version is a huge improvement.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

I use Illustrator for almost everything, but I'm usually doing graphics that will be used for both web and print and Tshirts, and vinyl signs and decals and embroidery and ads, etc. Illustrator is an incredible program but has a very steep learning curve.
    I use Fireworks for things when it's going to be web-only. Can get some neat effects easily. Same with Flash.
    Xara is a nice program. Does a lot for little money.
    Same for PaintShop Pro. PSP is very user friendly and a great place to start learning. If you later need to go to the Adobe stuff what you learn in PSP will give you a good foundation.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

I use both. I use Illustrator for logos and illustrating...and I use Photoshop for everything else (website layouts, photo editing, etc)...

I have never tried Fireworks or others...I spent too much money on Adobe products to try anything else...
    Lime Drop Marketing!
    Web Design | Graphic Design | Logo Design
    http://www.limedrop.ca

Photoshop, though I have to admit I do wish I could both afford Illustrator, and also be able to use it. I downloaded the trial once but was deeply confused by it. It also doesn't help I can't draw to save my life

Fireworks is interesting... I have version 3 but it's not very user friendly to me. I'll have to look at the MX version I think after the last few mentions of it here

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

I do more graphic editing rather than creation from scratch, so I prefer photoshop. But I have used illustrator and do like it, but I don't do a whole lot of drawings from scratch.

For minor/small projects I mainly use Paint Shop Pro. It's very simple and easy to use.

I use Photoshop only when what I am trying to do cannot be done in PSP.

I use Fireworks MX.

I tried using photoshop, but the learning curve is quite steep. Will have to give it another go someday.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

for web graphics (and most) PS is by choice. Illustrator is good for logos, etc... designed from scratch (or with source).

Not a lot of choices in your poll

Anyway I use Paintshop Pro Photoshop is a bit out of my price range

I use Photoshop. I even have one of those drawing boards that let you paint by hand. This is my first trial:
    http://www.reptilian-feline.net/down...terrestris.jpg
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

I use the same editor I use for everything: vi. Granted, it is a little tough to edit images in vi, but after some practice I have been able to modify the binary so I can edit images. Of course if you want to be pansy and use a GUI editor feel free

what is vi ?

Originally posted by davet
    what is vi ?

vi is the latest and greatest in editing technology, it has all the same features as Word and OpenOffice, but it is smaller, and of course freely downloadable:

http://www.vim.org/

I have got Fireworks, not sure if I want MX yet, and I also have Photoshop/ImageReady.

I don't really know how to use Photoshop I just have not had time to look at it bet it gets out of date by the time I learn how to use it. Any tuts on the net??? I have not looked but if u know of one let me know.

Why would you want to edit images in vi and not use a gui? I like to see the image I edit.

Originally posted by Reptilian Feline
    Why would you want to edit images in vi and not use a gui?
    For the challenge .

Xara x rules
    » Poised.com - Marketing with Passion
    Tamer o'kail - Creative Director

XARAX

Features: http://www.xara.com/products/xarax/

Tutorials & Examples:http://www.xaraxone.com/
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know... - Lewis Carroll

I have Fireworks 4 and Photoshop 6, haven't upgraded to MX and 7 yet...just too much money and I don't use them much. When I do, I find I start in Fireworks to create some effects so easily and then finish it in Photoshop because Fireworks is kind of a pain in the butt to work with sometimes. Keep in mind this is coming from a casual user who never read the manuals.

Xara looks neat, I'll give it a shot.

I used PSP awhile ago...compared to Photoshop that is an easy program to learn. Very nice.

The vi comment was a joke, btw.

I consider Gimp hardcore.

Originally posted by Lurker
    The vi comment was a joke, btw.

Photo Impact by Ulead. As soon as I used the program, it was luv at first site. Easy to use, outstanding effects, and cheap.

Now if only it would shake off its reputation of being a program for housewives who use it to make "snowglobes"

Fireworks MX

Originally posted by Reptilian Feline

I should have known you guys were just joking back and forth...it's too early for me to think.

Nice toad, btw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast