Feedback and suggestions Please

Hi,

Well quite new to all this. However, the reason I am posting is that I got asked to do a site by someone who had seen our own site.
    It is not finalised. Suggestions for this one . Note the server on this one seems a bit slow tonight. Id on't take to do with that at the moment.

My own idea is to get rid of the rollover graphics and ust put high qiality images as links, I did these quick but now I think they are a bit annoying. I thought also to make the title just move on the first page and not the rest. The folks seem over the moon with it.

I will admit I did nto spend a lto fo time on it and first commercial venture. It is a trade site not a retail one. Let me know.

The other one is our own site which you can get via my www button. This started about 5 months ago, really the first site I did, so been learning on the hop. It is very successful, but I was looking to some ideas as I might change something.

Especially with navigation as we keep getting more sections. With sub sections I have been sticking them below the titles as per forum and movies section.

One thing I won't change on this one is the res. It was designed after the staff agreed to be in 1024 and above. Simply because we wanted space and I did not want to have redo the site in a few years to keep it in touch.......maybe a mistake but that can't get changed now, given the size of the site. I also wanted to keep away from the whole panel thing and make it feel a bit like a book.

But any ideas for navigation on this one and image optimisation etc are welcome. Feel free to critisise, looking for honest opinion and ways I can make this site run better without changing the whole thing. It gets high traffic and so anythign that can speed it up would be great. I am familiarish with Photo Shop, not used image ready much yet. Usually to optimise stuff via Fireworks.

Thanks

<runs off to take cover>

The page cannot be displayed
    We value support and network performance.
    http://skyhost.biz

Oh damn, not sure as I say I don't host it or anything. The url is correct, maybe it will show up later. Own site should show up fine though.........I hope :-)

hummm....404

404 here, popup page works, tho
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

Hmmm don't know, I can't ping or get in via ftp. The companythat host it are actualy the ones who did the site first time round. But the people did not like it, though they paid them.

I wonder if they have pulled the plug. Maybe it will appear later.
    Sorry about that.

BTW Skelley, I do mess about with robots in spare time. Not much success, built a few small ones based on an advanced stamp. Photosensitive ones, still you get a few and they can exibit basic animal behavior. But I do a bit of KBS programming in prolog and such at Uni. Maybe get more into over next few years.

Anyway our own site should still work. SO idea for optimising and better navigation welcome. If the other site pops up then all the better.

thanks
    Last edited by Fatty; 10-17-2002 at 02:47 AM.

It shows here, but it's soooooooo slowwwww.
    He who hates correction will die. --Proverbs 15:10
    Jeffrey's Cute Blog | My stockphotos and illustrations

Very slow connection. The text is very hard to read on the left and right side. Needs more contrast. The header bar at the top seems too ... thrown together? All the different patterns just stuck next to each other. Doesn't seem to blend well. I would also just make the name animate on the first page, not the rest.
    Kevin Hauge
    Modern Leaf Design
    http://www.modernleaf.com

Yes sorry about the loading, as I said I don't host them, though I think I might have to, seems where they are is down most of the time.

I intend to do as you say with the moving stuff. I could redo the bar and make it a bit slicker. I found it quite hard as many of their designs are so contrasting. But they recently added a load of fabric so maybe that would be better material.

The text I thought was OK to read with rollover etc. I might make it more contrasting though now you have said.

You can see the brief they sent me on attachment. I don't really have too much design leeway as they have a specific idea of what they want. They don't want it to look corporate....then again they don't want it too "pretty".

Thanks for you comments, will take them onboard.

Ah here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails webhome.jpg  

Originally posted by Fatty
    Ah here.
    Hmmm, I'm thinking 1979 along with a Ford Thunderbird LTD