Game Server Hosting

Has anyone added this option to their company and if so what were your pro's and cons. Some of my fellow gamers have asked if they can setup game servers at around 30 a month. How big of a strain is this on bandwidth and how many(independent game server clients) do you recommend on one server?
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

I would say price it at $5-7 per player slot. Game servers use a lot of bandwidth and cpu resources. I can't really tell you how many slots you can fit on your server because you haven't posted the server specs
    Last edited by dbbrock1; 10-16-2002 at 09:02 PM.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

depends from the game your are planning to host...

Game servers........

In general take little CPU power constantly.... however they do use ALL they can take and more in shortbursts(Map changes, Playerjoins). So if you want a really good server and to host many different games on it, you need to run duals. Ive seen alot of posts in here about how So and so ran 97 games of Counter-strike on a 1 CPU 900mhz machine. Thats BS, on every mapchange, ALL the other servers will lag when one changes maps.

They like lots of ram and eat HUGE amounts of bandwidth, in general 50-200GB per month depending on Game type. To make matters worse you need a good Internet connection. When playing multiplayer online games, its all about the ping.

So.........

Can you do it for 90 bucks a month?

Ya, you can get a single processor dedi with 300GB of transfer for 90 bucks a month.
    But the results wont be great. You will have lag and you pings wont be that great. Lots of people do it and many more swear they have great servers........

If your looking for kickass.....

Your going to need a decent dual machine that will run you about 500-600 bucks and put it in a quality colo and spend 150 a month in bandwidth.

Anywho, I know all this because Im going through the same thing right now . Im curently buliding a dual MP rig with SCSI, thats going into a colo with Fastservers.net. I reviewed all the options and this is what Ive come up with.

If you have anymore questions I would be happy to answear them.

decent dual server will be much more than 500-600 dollars

Isn't fastservers on cogent?
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

nope, they are not

I tought of something...

Would it be a good idea to make virtual private server (with ensim or any other VPS software) for every game server your host ? This way, I think that other servers would not lag when a server loads a map or something. It sure would take a bit longer to load the map but who cares to wait 5 sec more for the map to load if it eleminates lag...

What do you guys think ?

Isn't fastservers on cogent?
    No..

They are located in HE.net facilites and use their bandwidth. I forget the exact list, but it's located somewhere.
    Jason

CDXSolutions,

There are A LOT of threads on game servers regarding bandwidth issues, cpu and ram requirements and the like. Just do a search and you'll find a bunch

I can get some nice duals for a little under 600 bucks Used, in 2U rack mount cases.

If ya got the time one can be built for under that price tag, just need to find a decent Rack case for cheap.

Ping is what it all comes down too.. some people will play higher ms second servers but ping is important make sure that your provider has good ping to you and potentionally most broadband customers.. and of course low ping costs

I would recommend running many ping, traceroutes and pathpings to compute stats on any potentional provider..

I would definatly recommend that your provider have connections to AT&T and or Comcast (to my knowledge the only general broadband providers that don't have a 50 ms 1st hop unlike DSL)

Here's a trace from me to my server.. (as you can see my first AT&T hop is 10 ms)

1 13 ms 9 ms 10 ms 10.158.160.1
    2 10 ms 8 ms 8 ms 12.244.92.65
    3 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 12.244.71.69
    4 9 ms 10 ms 8 ms 12.244.71.65
    5 9 ms 9 ms 10 ms 12.244.73.130
    6 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms gbr1-p70.dvmco.ip.att.net [12.123.36.74]
    7 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms gar2-p360.dvmco.ip.att.net [12.123.36.137]
    8 9 ms 13 ms 10 ms 12.124.158.110
    9 13 ms 9 ms 9 ms 209.197.250.176

im on telocity/directv dsl at home. ive gotten sub-40 ms pings on some good dcs.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

We buildt a nice server for about 600 bucks. I ran gameserves a bit ago and we ran 5-10 cs servers on one machine. We have nice ping to our data centers we are just worrying about the bandwidth usaged and cpu usage.
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

I tought of something...

Would it be a good idea to make virtual private server (with ensim or any other VPS software) for every game server your host ? This way, I think that other servers would not lag when a server loads a map or something. It sure would take a bit longer to load the map but who cares to wait 5 sec more for the map to load if it eleminates lag...

What do you guys think ?
    u r dreaming..........

and btw, game servers take lots of resources not only when maps change, ok?

Funny you mention game servers, as we have been courted recently to set up one for a group of 16. We run a 16 person public q3a right now (on a dual 1.13 colo'd non-cogent). Of course the ping times are phenomenal (i've seen guys with 13ms -- avg 50-70ms on the server), so someone asked me if we would be willing to do it for their group.

At a max_rate of 10000 (which is reasonable), and map downloads disabled, you are looking at burning 160kbps, which comes out to be 54GB/month (excuse the rough estimate as my cocktail napkin with my math was left at a bar) running full 24-7 (highly unlikely for a private server). Q3A's ded server running 16 people uses ~10% of the cpu, can't speak for CS, as I never have run one.

Yes, I think it is a viable offering. And yes $5-7/player is kind of the going rate from clanbank, et al.

Regards,

Jeff

Lightbulb

Ohhhh.... something that I have data for!

I ran a few Counter-Strike servers for customers out of Datapipe for a few months this past spring/summer. Here is how the traffic broke down.

Server 1:

Two 32 player CS servers, both were full about half of the time. This server pushed about 320 GB a month, one month it peaked at almost 400 GB. The rate was set @ 9999 on the servers.

Server 2:

Ran three 20 player CS servers. One was almost always full during the summer, even at like 5 AM! This server pushed about 400 GB every month for about 4 months. The rate was also set @ 9999 on the servers.

I had more servers but I'm not going to go into details about them.

Here is what you should expect:

16 player server 24/7 can do about 125 GB a month
    24 player server 24/7 can do about 190 GB a month
    32 player server 24/7 can do about 250 GB a month
    --
    Speckz

Speckz, what kind of hardware did your servers have?

Speckz:

How do you figure 125GB/month on a 16 person server? Even if I double the transfer (figuring in for both directions, which I really don't know if that is how rate translates) of the above calculations, it's still only 108GB max transfer per month, full every *second* of the day. Did you have map downloads available to the players through the server?

Just a little confused...

Regards,

Jeff

Originally posted by JonL
    Speckz, what kind of hardware did your servers have?
    Almost all were P4 1.6 GHz, 1-2 GB of RAM, EIDE 7200 RPM on RedHat 7.x. Some were Dual P3s with 1 GB RAM and EIDE 7200 RPM. Two were high-end Dual Xeons with 2 GB of RAM and all SCSI.
    --
    Speckz

Originally posted by Jeffyt
    Speckz:

How do you figure 125GB/month on a 16 person server? Even if I double the transfer (figuring in for both directions, which I really don't know if that is how rate translates) of the above calculations, it's still only 108GB max transfer per month, full every *second* of the day. Did you have map downloads available to the players through the server?

Just a little confused...

Regards,

Jeff
    I had map downloads and I generated statistic to the same IP as the game server. So you had a little HTTP traffic as well. Also, I did a once a week backup of the entire game server directory to a remote server via FTP. Plus, game server admins had full access via FTP to upload and download maps, config files, etc.

I go those numbers via monitoring each IP for in and out traffic. Also, those numbers are approximates. Very close though, but as always your mileage may vary.
    --
    Speckz

If you offer the server free you can host a 20 players server on a p3 500 - ram 256 ( i think 300 mb i try my it 400 mb) our + on a dedicated fiber our a good adsl line it at least 640 kbps on upstream (dl 768 | up 768) wold be good.

The hole key is instaling some nice soft to lower the lag and cpu usage.

PS : My cs server on a 640 kbps up|dl ( good calbe )on a p3 500 - 400 mb it 18 players it's ok on windows adv. server 2000

If you install on linux our something like this i bet you can put 2 servers off 14 our 16 on a p3 600 512 ram hd 7.2000 rpm

It my servers ( free no pass ) it got a 20 Gb per day. ( almost all the time full )

Here's what I push. See for yourself how much a popular server can do. These are full nearly 24x7. The daily lull is when we parse stats. Box is a dual P3-1Ghz on a Tyan 2510, 1GB RAM and SCSI drives. CPU use averages 70% and will hit over 90% at times.

80 players (2x64, 1x16) @ 7000 rate on each of 3 servers

stupid question

ok im new to this and im using a reseller plan from a hosting company so here is my question(s)....

How does dedicated servers work? I thought if you rented a dedicated out of a DC it was only for web hosting....

Do you get full access to it? can you remote desktop into the machine?

Simple answer *

You can piss over the server

You get the same control that you have from your PC but it's over the net

PS :<>: Potsie

You forgot to tell us the game you run on it

And if you use pingbooster and stuff like that

And the bandwight usage

( rate 7000 ) It's the max speed that a client will reach
    ( just for those that does not know this Ex : 7000 = 7.0 Kbps )

When i use my p3 500 - 400 RAM - Western Digital 7.2000 Caviar HD ( NOT SCSI ) i wold put the rate on the server that was almost all the time at 3500.

But i think my server that i runned under my cable 640 Kbps up|dl
    Only work it beacuse here in Brasil the cable company
    ( GloboCabo ) Has i think a two 155 Mbps link for there users and a backup 45 Mbps
    ( that's what was i hear over 6 months ago )

Soh you can imagine my cable -- the ping was 20-30 -- max ping.

I'm goin to search for a screen put i think a don't have any screen any more

Forgot to add this as well...

It depends on the game you run. Some games like Half-Life require low CPU/RAM i.e. a P3 800 with 512 M of ram is fine for a 32 player server. And will do 2.5Ksec per player while UT2003 requires at least a 1.5 GHz CPU with 512 MB of ram for 16 players or something like that and eat up 3.5Ksec for each player. Not 100% sure about UT2003 BTW.

Anyway, if you have a number of servers and you start to run different games and mods for them you will see differences in transfers, CPU and RAM usage, IO, etc.
    --
    Speckz

All three of those ports are HL-based - two Counter-Strike and one Team Fortress Classic.
    Ping booster, from what I've read, only adjust how the DLL interacts with the OS to increase the frames the server can deliver and wouldn't impact the bandwidth used since it's still capped at the sv_maxrate.
    There is no downloading from the server and it's only running the games. The HTML for the stats is written to a web box in the same cluster and it under 10 MB daily at ~4:30 AM. Since it's written in a serial fashion the bandwidth impact is nominal.
    I also think that claiming a P3-800 can host a 32 player HL server should exclude CS. This game has become a resource hog in recent revisions. Add to that the fact that most people insist on running plug-ins like HL Guard and Admin Mod and the system requirements can be staggering when you consider that we used to be able to run 32 player CS servers on a P2-400 with no server-side lag at all.

ok

Ok - so who is good and cheap to go with that has good bandwidth?

vriley, you might want to go with RackShack.net or UnitedColo.com. If you go with UnitedColo.com you will probably want to go with the P4 because from what Sonic has posted his celeron can't handle too many players. I haven't had experience with the UnitedColo P4 box but it's just a suggestion and you get a ton of bandwidth.

Originally posted by Potsie
    All three of those ports are HL-based - two Counter-Strike and one Team Fortress Classic.
    Ping booster, from what I've read, only adjust how the DLL interacts with the OS to increase the frames the server can deliver and wouldn't impact the bandwidth used since it's still capped at the sv_maxrate.
    There is no downloading from the server and it's only running the games. The HTML for the stats is written to a web box in the same cluster and it under 10 MB daily at ~4:30 AM. Since it's written in a serial fashion the bandwidth impact is nominal.
    I also think that claiming a P3-800 can host a 32 player HL server should exclude CS. This game has become a resource hog in recent revisions. Add to that the fact that most people insist on running plug-ins like HL Guard and Admin Mod and the system requirements can be staggering when you consider that we used to be able to run 32 player CS servers on a P2-400 with no server-side lag at all.
    You are right about the P3-800 part. At most it can host a 24 player CS server without any of the add-ons like HLGuard, StatsMe, HLTV and voice communication.
    --
    Speckz